1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets finalizing deal to send Omer Asik to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of Omer Asik for cap space and a protected first rounder?

1. YES

589 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Harden <3 Howard? I'd trade Parsons in a heartbeat for that.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol. Love ok, I wouldn't pick him over Harden but that that's at least a very close one, but a defensive role player and a 40 year old over a 24 year old all nbaer. Doesn't look like NBA GM is in the cards for you.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nonsense, I'd hire him in a second to be the GM of any non-Rockets franchise.

4. fluors

fluors Member

Anderson and Rivers are poor defenders. Because of Harden and TJones, two of the worst defenders in the league at their repsective positions, adding Anderson and/or Rivers won't help; neither is a two way player. Do you know who the best Pelican defender is? It’s not a big man…..it’s a point guard….let me repeat that…a PG….Jrue Holiday, with a DRPM of +2.01 (3rd best of the 86 PGs in the league). See http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/6. The other Pelican guards and SFs are terrible defenders too. For example, Eric Gordon’s DRPM is -4.75 (ranking 88th of the 90 SGs in the league) and Austin Rivers and Morrow are no better; e.g., -3.03 (81st of 90) and -1.82 (64th of 90), respectively; Brian Roberts is awful at -2.33 and Tyreke Evans is an insanely poor defender, with a DRPM of -3.85 (ranking 78th; worst defending SF in the league); Anderson (Ryno) is also a poor defender, with a DRPM of -1.87 (83rd among the 90 PFs in the league), just one spot above Tjones (-1.91). Anthony Davis is the best shot blocker in the league (with the exception of Jrue, he gets no help from teammates) but is not an elite defender (he’s one-dimensional), with a relatively medicore DRPM of +0.78 (42nd of 90 PFs). The centers are bad with DRPM’s ranging between +1.7 and -0.7. On a team loaded with poor defenders, Asik is god-like, with a DRPM is +4.86, 7th best in the league; elite. The Pelicans can afford to play Anderson next season because, with Asik aboard, they'd have two elite rim protectors to compensate for his defensive deficiencies (obviously they need his offense). But Anderson in Houston introduces more risk because, despite the benefit of stretch four and spacing, he actually makes the defense worse.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Voice of reason.

Good to see you so active as of late.

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. SirKen

SirKen Member

Well, you and many others flamed me back when I complained about the path Morey was taking. I am not an authority or anything but I don't see Rockets winning the championship any time soon.

... But that third star though...

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So you think I'm mad that we didn't keep Asik? I wanted him traded the day after Howard was signed.

You make no sense.

9. conquistador#11

you what is underrated? apple juice. I thought I should chime in. i think a player who buys into a system/ adjust will accomplish more with the team than just someone who plays with a lot of stickyness. Not a big barkley fan,as he took away 2 of my fave players in sammy and robert but he tells a nice story of cat and stevie. Barkley attempted to take them under his wing but both were not having any of it.

Only time will tell. there is nothing we can do about it but bicker.

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade? <a href="http://t.co/Drcz1Cuyqo">http://t.co/Drcz1Cuyqo</a></p>&mdash; Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statuses/487232205530206208">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lower than expected???... like 130K lower. Not that big of a deal in this case. They were probably looking to move Rivers & waive Ely regardless.

If both teams back out of deal (rare, but not unheard of) it will because of something other than the salary cap being slightly lower than projected.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If they end up trying to turn a Bosh signing into a sign and trade and let Parsons go it might actually benefit the Rockets to just take Anjica back in the four team deal anyway.

But lol at this being so freaking complicated.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Did Pelicans make the space yet to sign Asik?

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

that 130k is a big deal. they only had 33k or so of wiggle room

15. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Hate to lose Asik but he wasn't happy so its better off for both sides. Now we can move Lin and turn the page on this "poison pill era".

16. treeman

treeman Member

Doesn't this pretty much have to get done today or tomorrow if we are going to get Bosh and have any hope of keeping Parsons?

Or has Morey already decided Parsons isn't worth it? If so, I suppose the timing isn't as urgent...

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Has New Orleans even attempted to make room for Asik?

18. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Any updates from N.O.?

19. dlite316

dlite316 Member

yes, we have less than 3 days now if we intend to sign a max FA and keep parsons.
    come on bron, clock is ticking:mad:

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I understand, I was just putting the thought out there. Morey was recruiting Melo who is no great shakes on defense either.

In any event, the best way to upgrade defense is to make it a 3 way trade with Detroit:

Pelicans get: Asik & TJ

Pistons get: Eric Gordon & Canaan

Rockets get: Josh Smith, 2nd rounder (Pelicans) & rights to KJ McDaniels and Patric Young