1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

It's a bit deeper than that. The Max is calculated on a basis of the salary cap.

IF Morey matches, as a RFA he can't trade Parsons in the first season anyway without Parsons' consent.

However, the cap WILL go up next year, and along with it Parsons' potential max salary increases. IE, the trade kicker will also start to kick in as a potential penalty for trading Parsons.

The Salary Cap went up from $58M to $63M this season. Next season the NBA anticipates that it's going up from $63M to $66.5M.

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304

With 0-6 years in the NBA, the salary cap is calculated as 25% of the salary cap ($14.76M).

For every dollar the Cap increases, that increases Parson's max salary by $0.25, or $250K for every $1M.

Under a normal signing, Parsons is restricted to a 4.5% annual increase, so his salary would increase from $14.76M to $15.42M or $660K. However, if the Salary cap increases by $3.5M then Parsons theoretical max salary increases by $875K, or the trade kicker counts for $215k.

If the NBA projection for 2016/17 increases a similar percentage to $70.19M , with Parsons' salary increasing by 4.5% to $16.11M ($1.35M more than his starting salary), the difference between Parsons' salary and the actual max salary has now increased to $440K.

In other words, the trade kicker is designed to ensure that Parsons is punishing the Rockets for the maximum salary possible if they want to trade him no matter how much the Salary cap is increased.

IE, you can't just say "Just sign him, we can always trade him for value later since the salary cap is going up anyway". Parsons' trade kicker is designed to scale with the salary cap.

It's a very nasty bit of work by Cuban and co.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm done with Parsons. I hope we sign Bosh and sign Shaun Marion. Sweep the Mavs and laugh in Chandlers' face.

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

He's a prick for that picture. Don't want him on this team anymore.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

You are basing your statement on your opinion, which you present it as a fact.

This is more realistic:

30% we get Parsons after making him RFA + 3rd Superstar (so 70% we lose both)

VS

70% Parsons leaves in free agency (but we still retain that 3rd Superstar)

Also you don't think Parsons would think twice about signing elsewhere after we finish much higher than this season thanks to 3rd superstar? I don't know much about salary cap, but if I understand it correctly, we can go over the cap because we have his Bird rights, so we could offer him a hefty contract.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Ah, forgot about that justtxyank and torocan! Thanks for the explanation.

Also, how many of you actually feel like this is Morey's decision? It seems like Dwight will throw his weight around and ask for Parsons to stay (if he truly wants him)

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think the photos from last night, and Chandler changing the color scheme of his social media sites, amounts to Fegen and Parsons putting pressure on Morey to match. After he matches the contract, if he does, that'll all change and the club images will be explained as, "Oh, just my buddy taking some pictures of me being wined and dined by a billionaire who just offered me tens of millions of dollars. Didn't mean anything, boys. You know how it is!" I don't think Parsons wants to go anywhere. He's following a script given him by his agent, one of the most powerful in the NBA.

7. jason330i

jason330i Member

i don't know if they make a parsons snuggie, but you guys can borrow my lin snuggie if you need a good cry.

somebody call tinman.

8. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Hey JR

There is only the option if matching or not right ?

We cants sign and trade parsons to even the mavs? Get maybe a trade exception?

9. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

HAHAHAH Morey got his screwed. If Bosh decides to return to MIA, this is a step back.

Gave up Asik for nothing.
    Now will have to pay Parsons 15+ mil instead of 900k to keep him.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I guess we can, but I doubt Cuban wants to move players to get Parsons when he has a chance to steal him outright.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Edit: Whoops, can't trade him. This was discussed in the Gordon Hayward scenario PRIOR to him signing the offer sheet

#1691 shastarocket, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just how is any of this "funny?" Are you a ****ing troll, dude?

13. torocan

torocan Member

Nope. Soon as Parsons signed the offer from the Mavs, we lost any ability to S&T Parsons (as he's already signed to an offer).

So, we lose Parsons for nothing, or match Parsons at $14.7M with the 3rd year player option and trade kicker attached (reducing his trade value even if you wanted to trade him since he has to approve any first year trade, and subsequent years the trade kicker will increase in penalty value).

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

This.

Cuban wants to stick it to us. So no way that'll happen with him as an owner.

byebye Parsons, you just moved to #2 on my **** list.

15. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

We can't trade Parsons within 1 year if we match.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right.

Match or don't match.

Earliest he can be traded is the 15th of December.
    Can't be traded to Dallas.
    Basically has a no trade clause for one year. Rockets can't trade him without his consent.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Had he performed better in the playoffs . . . .. . . .. I would feel better about matching

Rocket River

18. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Morey should have seen this coming. For all the analytics nonsense that he spews, his organization and management skills leave a lot to be desired.

Rockets will take a step back this offseason. Giving up Lin for nothing is only gonna make that worse.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blazers fan.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think from the moment Parsons signed Fegan this whoooooole thing has been on the back burner.

Fegan has always been Cuban's special friend. Cuban mapped out this play a long time ago, and has been bending Parsons' ear off and on for a year (through Fegan). I'm sure of it.

If Parsons wanted to leave so badly, fine. Maybe he doesn't like playing with Harden (understandable, to a degree) because he actually thinks he's All Star material (debatable, and I would debate, Only if he takes a biiiiiiig step forward; which is probably what Cuban said they'd work on with him).

I say we match the offer and wipe that gay smile off his face and Cuban's face. Then later find a deal that lessens our cap hit and gets Parsons out of here, whether it's a trade he'll consent to (this next season) or in a year (when we don't need his ****ing permission).

We'll get Bosh, we'll match Parsons, and, in the future, when the time comes, we'll trade Parsons.

I'll agree Morey's I.T. / stats geek style leaves something to be desired. But we won't take a step back.

And Jeremy Lin isn't worth one quarter of the money he'll get this year. Better to spend a couple million on an Aaron Brooks type.

#1700 ROXTXIA, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014