1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depending a lot on the players we get though.

2. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

I don't get all the hate for Chandler. He's just guaranteed that he'll be rich, whether he gets paid by Cuban or Les. You'd be more than happy to go out and party with the guy that did that for you.

3. do work son

do work son Member

I did some thinking last night, and I think we're fine with or without bosh we have to match for Parsons no matter what though.

If we sign bosh, we match Parsons, and we keep a core of harden Parsons bosh Howard for the next couple seasons.

If we don't sign bosh, we have until Sunday to spend 17 million give or take, our MLE and whatever trade exceptions we have on a better bench, then resign Parsons. It would essentially be keeping the same starting 5, but vastly upgrading our bench. No more omri casspi , Francisco Garcia.

4. chandlerbang21

Did you miss how pathetic the rockets looked without Chandler in the lineup last season. He was repeatedly called the "backbone of the team" by Morey and fans. He was also the teams top 3pt shooter for most of the season while harden was the worst

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Did you see the Rockets play last season when Parsons was hurt? They were flat out awful at times. Is he worth 15 mil? Absolutely not. But anyone who doesn't think he's the glue guy that held this team together wasn't paying attention.

With him gone and no adequate replacement brought in, I'd wager this team wins at least 5 fewer games next season. That would have the Rockets flirting with the lottery in the loaded West. And even if they did sneak in, they'd be bounced in the first round again. Either way, kiss Dwight goodbye in either scenario.

And on the flipside, adding him to the Mavs along with Tyson Chandler improves them by a few wins. They could even make a run at 55 wins next season which basically means we'll swap places with them in the standings. Will they win a title with that roster? Probably not. But they could be a second round team easily and with a little luck(i.e. Father Time catching up with the Spurs) even make it to the WCF.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The Grizzlies gonna be healthy, hornets just got Asik, macs got better. The Rockets...

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'll be disappointed if we match parsons.

8. Victorious

Victorious Member

I don't know...im assuming he felt good about landing a big FA so he took the risk. You win some, you lose some. Now maybe we still get Bosh, lets see. Its not over. I don't see Morey going down this easily.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here's the thing -

If Parsons truly does want to leave, he's going to find a way out eventually anyways. Lets be honest... he has 2 years guaranteed with a player opt out that 3rd year. That's not exactly locking him up long term.

So tell me this. What is the smart GM decision to make:

2 years at the Max vs. 1 year at the league minimum???

This definitely trumps the Royce White draft pick as Morey's biggest blunder so to date. Even if Parsons comes back, and is phenomenal, he's most likely still gone two years from now anyways.

10. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I ain't mad at parsons for getting his money...I just really hate mark cuban and the mavs.

11. midgetballa624

If we're able to sign Bosh, there's no question that you match that offer. At that point the only issue would be if Les is willing to pay the tax.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Where is all this talk about Parsons leaving after 2 years coming from? Why would he pass up $15million? I viewed the player option as a layer of control; insurance in case he doesn't like the Mavs. The trade kicker works the same way.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You obviously don't undertand the cap. You didn't have the time to post so you shouldn't have wasted your time with this jibberish. SMH.

14. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

It doesn't matter in this context. To illustrate my point, here's what I think of DM's mental process based on the stuff that unfolded in last few days:

Before July 1st:

"I want to get a superstar and keep Parsons. I'll make him a RFA. What happens if someone gives him the max? Naaah, they won't. But if they do, my boy Parsons won't sign anything, haha! I'm a genius!"

After Melo's meeting:

"Damn, should I talk to Parsons? Naah, there's still enough time. And everybody think I will match any offer Parsons gets, so noone will make any!! I'm a genius!"

After Bosh makes his max contract request public:

"Whoa, Bosh! But what if Parsons gets a max offer? Nah, he's LOYAL and won't sign! So I won't talk to him, let's put everything I built in past few years at stake and WAIT!"

After Hayward receives max offer:

"Damn...should I offer Parsons near-max so he doesn't sign with another team after he gave his all to HOU playing for chump change? Nah, he will surely understand that he's not worth the max and won't sign any papers..."

After Parsons announces he Will sign the Dallas' max offer:

"Damn..."

It was only Morey's gamble that led us to this situation. I understand you have to swing for the fences, but it seems like it's his exclusive modus operandi. Miss one too much and you will undo everything you have worked for many years (championship). Is it really worth it to gamble when you have so much to lose? I don't mind gambling with a bad team, but with a contender?

Presti gambled too (lowballed Harden while he could wave Perkins) and it backfired. Cuban gambled with a championship team (releasing Chandler, putting the team success at FA's mercy...) and it backfired. How many more gambles will we have to see from DM for him to understand that?

15. derp

derp Member

The thing is though he was actually in better position to land that 3rd star had he picked up the option. Chandler's cap hold when UP by not picking it up.

Morey was trying to have his cake and eat it too. It was a move made so that he would have all the power. Little did he know he pissed off Cuban to the point he would sign Parsons way above market value, and now he stands to possibly lose Parsons and not sign a 3rd star.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

shhhhh, let him believe the crap he writes. It's the only way he sleeps at night

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It was a business move. Keep Fegan happy. Keep Dwight happy. Do the right thing.

We get a guy like Bosh and I'm content with retaining Parsons for even 2 years.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

The thing everyone seems to be forgetting is if Morey picks up Parson's option, he is 100% gone next year.

So the choice was roll the dice now and have a greater chance of retaining him, or secure 1 more year and he's 100% gone afterwards.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Somebody rep this man. He stole my rep

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Why does everyone say that? Did Parsons tell Morey that? Lots of players resign with their teams all the time as unrestricted free agents.