1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

can we just sign Friedman for the vet minimum? ......sorry...still in shock

2. monk92

monk92 Member

If we are able to get Bosh, I kind of hope we don't match, especially after all the BS he pulled last night with Cuban. I don't see any real need to pay the 4th option on the team a max deal. Bosh would easily replace Parsons' scoring and any SF we could get for the MLE could provide comparable shooting and probably even an upgrade on defense.

3. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

:confused:
    Parson: "Yes, I'm overpaid for the last 2 year, I'll opt out. Please don't pay me so much."

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hey Clutch, can you go ahead and ban this jerkoff texasrfan for getting a kick out of admitted trolling on Clutchfans? Thanks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BenRogers">@BenRogers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/gavindawson">@gavindawson</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports">@fishsports</a> I trolled the Hou forums and this post had me rollin! <a href="http://t.co/YGBdVUdHLL">pic.twitter.com/YGBdVUdHLL</a></p>&mdash; David Le (@istunn) <a href="https://twitter.com/istunn/statuses/487111748999053313">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  5. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

opting out of a contract are for players who have made a crap load of money already....not for players like Parsons....

6. Oracle

Oracle Member

I agree. I would sign him rather than wait and take a risk with Bosh. Other than Bosh, I can't see any players out there that I would take before Parsons. In other words, Either you sign them both (if Bosh agrees before the deadline) or it is Parsons alone without a chance to sign Bosh.

7. torocan

torocan Member

No, most likely Cuban told him to sign it or he's going to start looking for alternatives.

If I were Cuban, I'd negotiate the contract and once terms were agreed I'd say,

"Ok, we've agreed on terms ... you got the max, a trade kicker and a player option. I'm sending my jet to pick you up so we can get this signed. Any objections?"

You don't negotiate a $15M contract and try to stall without risking losing the contract entirely.

Note that Cuban went to get the contract signed Personally... this isn't some functionary that he sent. The guy is a billionaire, self-made businessman. He would smell deception a mile away. And if he thought for a second that Parsons was trying to stall, he'd simply threaten to pull the deal.

If I thought Parsons was stalling, I'd simply say...

"What's there to think about? You're making $1M/year. I'm offering you $15M a year for 3 years, a trade kicker, and a player option. You're can't make more money unless you think someone is going to give you 4 years/$55M+.

You want this offer or not? If not, say so now so I can pull this offer and present it to someone who wants my Money. I'm not going to tie up my cap space playing games. So here's the pen, sign it or let's shake hands and I'll be on my way."

This isn't pinochle. This is a multi-billion dollar game where multi-million dollar contracts are just chips on the table.

8. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

No, it's you who has to get a grip.

Morey is gambling too much. He is never playing it safe and this franchise's direction for next few years hinges on decisions he can't control at all. Why do you keep defending him blindly?

He should trade Parsons for a superstar if he doesn't want to accept a reasonable offer from Houston. That's playing it safe while still improving our roster. You can't sit in two chairs with one butt.

1 person likes this.
  9. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

Rockets should let Dallas take Parsons and laugh at them for giving him such a ridiculous contract. Parsons is worth $8-$10 M at his current level. Paying him $15M is almost twice what he's really worth in my opinion.

10. Victorious

Victorious Member

You don't offer somebody $45M and not put a deadline on it. Maybe nobody was offering as much. And supposedly they are friends or whatever so maybe he wants to be in DAL if not HOU.

Yeah well thats kind of hard to do when hes a restricted free agent and can go out and get his own contract and all we can do is match or not. Parsons has the right to go get the best deal for himself. Just like how teams have the right to trade players whenever they pretty much feel like it almost.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, but we'll be laughing at them from below in the standings and potentially the lottery.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets were to sign Bosh at the max and not match Parsons, how much money would they have available to replace him and who would be a realistic option with that money?

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Don't have a lot of time to post, but a big mistake by Maury not exercising team option for CP. In reality this is Maury getting a taste of his own medicine. He always refers to players as assets that are by definition expendable. He does one of his "assets" a favor and Parsons turns right around and shows Maury two can play at this game by giving DM a blunt example of how the NBA is a business. So much for Maury being this shrewd tactician and strategist.

Now Rockets shouldn't match because Parsons isn't worth that kind of $. He thinks he's a lot better than he is. He ran his mouth in the 1st rd of the playoffs about being best pf in the series and was subsequently outplayed by Batum (who only makes $11 mill per year) in the games that followed. He also didn't stand out at the 2013 Team USA mini-camp among his peers. Parsons was overrated like so many other players by people on this website anyway. He was only a value because of his contract.

As far as replacing him, I don't think Ariza is going to want to come here after he was unceremoniously dumped by DM after he signed with Houston a few years back, but he would be a good replacement. He's a 2-way player and always produces in the playoffs, whether it's with LA, NO, or Wash. He will probably ask more from Rox than other teams because of the bad history.

Deng is also another 2-way player who has better play-making ability and passing skills than Ariza, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy the past couple of seasons. He's also going to ask for more than he's worth.

I would make a run at Lance Stephenson. Everybody wants to harp on the negatives, but he's a very good 2-way player who can also create for himself and others and can rebound (led NBA in triple-doubles last season). He has gone deep in the playoffs and doesn't back down from challenges. He also brings toughness, tenacity, and certain mean streak and nastiness this team can use. This guy should have been an all-star last season and can be had for $10 or $11 mill per after the Pacers low-balled him.

If DM is the genius many of you blind worshipers like BimaThug who never criticize the guy say he is, he'll find a way to bring Stephenson in along with Bosh.

Bev
    JH
    Born Ready
    Bosh
    D12

You can figure out the bench, but that is a championship caliber starting 5, which can be elite offensively AND defensively. Then CP leaving will be a blessing in disguise.

Post ended up being a lot longer than I intended, but before I sign off, here's another pic of the two:

[​IMG]

#1613 Kwame, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Signing Parsons puts them ahead of us and us losing Parsons really drops is that much?

I think some of us are really overrating Parsons here.

15. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

Parsons trolling the rockets more than any fan on here. hahhaahahhaha

16. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

That's why Morey shouldn't make him a RFA in first place and trade him now if they couldn't agree to terms of contract. Or before deciding on declining the option talk to him like, you know, NORMAL business people do and not wait until the last day of free agency to lowball him. Or did he really think Parsons would not sign a max contract from someone else? It seems like basically the whole Morey's FA strategy revolved around Parsons declining max money.

Right...

17. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

I think what we need to evaluate is whether or not we believe that Chandler can become a $15 million guy in this league. I think he's already reached his ceiling, so I would cap him at $12 million per and I would let him walk. Bring over the foreigners.

18. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Parsons ain't trolling....He's smart and calculating. He's basically forcing Morey's hand. He's basically saying pay me or I leave. That Twitter fiasco isn't some random act. But do you blame him? What would you do in his position?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Other kinds of regrets for sure. But I think Lowry thought highly of the Rocket organization.

Lowry especially regretted his untimely exit. Perhaps we should move the discussion to another thread how he handled treating assets.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cool, so what was the offer Houston offered?