1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There is deff. some animosity as is with all of Morey's dealings with players...but I think its because of the Melo chasing/lowballing. I'm confident about the lowball part because it is tradition and they were confident that the market would yield only a bit more than their lowball offer.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

i didn't think i could emotionally turn on Parsons so quickly

like i get he wants to get paid, but being dallas and cubans smug prick face

eugh

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Top 25 paid player in the league. Haha

4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

i'm not mad because he accepted the MAX

I'm mad because he didn't WAIT for lebron to make his decision!

CHANDLER COULD OF EASILY WAITED UNTIL LEBRON SIGNED TO EITHER MIAMI OR CLEVELAND

it's not like DALLAS is the only place that can offer him a MAX

Cleveland would of! And if he didn't like Cleveland then LOS ANGELES would of EASILY offered him a MAX

but nah, Chandler is IMPATIENT and didn't want to wait for the Rockets to IMPROVE the team

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

The org can't really go for the loyalty angle after the Lin Chop scandal. Even without the tweet, the players would've known about the underlying tension.

6. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

It would be funny to see the Rockets immediately match the offer ending any chance of getting another star. Then make him feel like an a hole for signing too fast and hold it against him why we are not a contender.

7. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Has Les ever paid the tax?

8. TheGoldenGreek

I think we have every right to be upset with Chandler Parsons about this. Not because he found the best offer he could, that was what he should've done. But why is he partying with Mark Cuban when he's not even officially on their roster? Slap in the face to Htown and that's an unforgivable offense in my book. I can't cheer for this guy even if we match.

9. banzai

banzai Member

In morey we trust. I'd like to believe he's got something up his sleeve.

10. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

this is why i ****ing hate everything about dallas, was i the only one who was rooting for the heat in the finals against dallas?

11. King901

King901 Member

I doubt it, but im sure he said he would if it was worth it.

12. professorjay

professorjay Member

Look, the picture doesn't make it any easier to stomach.

But I don't think his thought process was 'let's take a picture to piss off Clutch Fans! Probably just 'hey this billionaire flew out here to give me a ton of money!'

BTW a lot of us were ready to ship him out for Love, myself included.

13. i3artow i3aller

Ducks already in a row? Stars aligning?
    [​IMG]

14. HTM

HTM Member

We're all freaking out but Maury is probably calm as a cucumber.

He is a smart dude, I'm sure he knew someone would likely offer Chandler the max due to the amount of money that was available this FA and the lack of players to spend it on.

I think its all gonna work out.

Bosh and Parsons in Houston next season.

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Extremely humbled! One night of fun and back to work. THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me! I am blessed.</p>&mdash; Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/statuses/487110888080437248">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. count_dough-ku

Believe me, I'm not happy at all that Parsons signed that deal and posted that smug photo with Cuban no less. But you can't blame the dude for taking that kind of money the moment it was offered. Remember, this is his first big contract in the NBA. He can't risk losing out on this kind of offer. Morey is the one who screwed this up by chasing free agents who either don't want to play here or will only do so if LeBron picks up and leaves Miami. Not to mention he also put Chandler in position to be able to sign with Dallas in the first place. The Rockets didn't have to decline that 4th year option.

17. kystormchaser

kystormchaser Member

I would have signed that fast enough to make heads spin. He doesn't owe Houston anything. Houston's management is gambling. They will either hit it big or be calling Smush Parker by next week.

18. newAge_Rockets

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

You talk about risk but you don't know what the word means. If the Rox exercised that option and brought in a quality FA or two as you say then there won't be any money to pay Parsons so he would've left the next year anyway, esp. now that we know the market value for players like him is the max.

Parsons is one of the biggest bargains in the NBA the last 3 years, lowballing him 1 more year could have an impact on not just his play this season, but also the rest of the team. Parsons could be depressed and b**** and post stuff like #loyalty and #Ididyouasolidbutyouscrewedmeover etc. etc. and the Rox will have no defense. At least now whether the Rox match or not there won't be any bad blood, Parsons went out and played for the Rox on less than 1M for 3 years and recruited Dwight into the team, the Rox released him early from his contract with the effort to resign him.

Your bolded part doesn't make any sense, at the end of the day Parsons is just a semi star/role player. He's valuable to the team, but at 15M a year you can probably find better value propositions. How can losing him set the team back multiple years as you say? If we replace him with Bosh/Deng you really think the Rox will still be set back multiple years? LOL!

On the other hand, keeping a disgruntled Parsons for one more year just to squeeze every single last drop of value you can out of the guy can actually set the franchise back by damaging the rep of the team, Bev and the rest of the players will know the Rox doesn't really differentiate or reward loyalty from players and just want to pay them as low as they can. With Parsons being heavily into social media, having a powerful agent he can actually do a lot of damage via negative publicity if he feels the Rox cheated him unnecessarily. These are the kind of stuff you want to avoid, I think the Rox would want to build an image that although they view players as assets, they actually reward the players who become valuable assets to the team, not just keep screwing everyone over indiscriminately.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Extremely humbled! One night of fun and back to work. THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me! I am blessed.</p>&mdash; Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/statuses/487110888080437248">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>