1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yup and Morey now can remove an unknown (Parsons situation) and adjust accordingly.

While the 3 day window is scary, most likely James announces his decision in the next day or two.

Another possibility is that Bosh gets sick of not being able to get in contact with James and makes his move first, signing with Houston.

2. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Thinking about it, paying Parsons 15 mill as a potential 4th option on offense would definitely be overpaying. I'm sure we can find a suitable replacement if all things fail.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

parsons just followed cuban on twitter

4. Raven

Raven Member

Correct

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Chandler is a weasel through and through but I follow Cuban on twitter too and he didn't offer me $46 million.

6. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

agreed. Morey's probably quite mad right now. I thought Parsons would give Morey a loyalty discount for letting him earn his pay cheque a year earlier. I didn't expect Parsons would turn around and construct such a painful deal for Morey to match.

7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Well Cuban did just set him up nicely.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

I posted this in the Bosh thread but Brian Windhorst of ESPN said the Rockets are expected to match the Parsons deal. James is expected to respect Bosh's deal with Houston and the time crunch and give Bosh / Houston enough time to get everything done if he is leaving Miami.

10. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Chandler also recently followed Chris Broussard, Kyle Lowry and Kevin Love

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I've been hoping this would be the case..Lebron couldn't screw with Bosh like that..

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And every living girl that he is interested in DM'ing.

13. perfectweapons

Guys Lebron is announcing at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow morning per Broussard. I know he is a moron but he has to know something if he is saying Lebron will announce on Sportcenter? So that being said we will sign Bosh probably by late afternoon, and match Parsons at the last minute just to piss off Cuban so he will miss out on Deng and Ariza lol! Remember we have the genius in Houston, not Dallas!

14. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Sad that our whole teams future is dependent on how quick LeBron chooses his team, screw you LeBron

15. PeppermintCandy

So, it's possible to match Parsons' deal and then follow that up by giving Bosh a max deal? I thought that the order somehow mattered.

16. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I didn't say Parsons can't fix his weakness next year, but he has not shown to be a capable defender in the last 2 years. (To his credit, he was decent in the first.) I certainly hope so, if the Rockets decides to match that contract. I am just saying at the present he doesn't warrant that max because he's not a proven reliable defender. As good as PBev is defensively, he cannot overcome the liability of Parsons and Harden.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

Ironically, Bosh would have a better chance winning a title by NOT being James' teammate next year if LeBron stays in Miami with Wade.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I completely agree with you here. Chandler deserves to get what he can, and I have no problem overpaying him. What I have a problem with was all of them obviously not being on the same page to work it out.

Honestly, this might come down to Morey's fault (if they lose him, or lose Bosh because of the timing). Maybe he tried to play hard ball to get a discount, and didn't heed the warnings of Fegen and Chandler.

Maybe they were wanting to hash it out to get a principle deal agreed upon that he could sit on and give them more time to get free agency wrapped up first, but Morey was the one who challenged them to walk away from the table.... I don't know.

However the fact is, Fegen isn't just responsible for getting Chandler paid. He's also responsible for his #1 superstar Dwight Howard who could very well want more talent on the Rockets to help compete in the playoffs.

Fegen doesn't have the easiest job in the world (making all of his clients happy), but at the end of the day, he is responsible for either helping or hurting the cause of putting all of his clients in the best possible position to be happy and maximize their earning potential. Given his buddy buddy relationship with Cuban, I'm speculating that Fegen took care of himself and his buddies more than he took care of his biggest client's main need at this point... which is to win.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, I don't see how this is really good for Cuban or the Mavericks.

If the Rockets don't match, that means Cuban is paying Parsons 15 million a year for 3 years and is very limited in what he can do. He cannot even easily deal Parsons because of the kicker. Hell, the third year players option has to be viewed as 3 years guaranteed by the Mavericks. The Mavericks are better with Parsons than without, but they are not winning a title with Parsons as their 2nd or third best player.

If the Rockets do match, then Cuban has lost out on the key window to sign free agents and his team will likely not improve much.

It really seems like a lose/lose situation for Cuban.

20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

What if Lebron picks Houston?! Just kidding. But Bosh would really be screwed then.