1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets "heavily engaged" with Chris Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 6, 2014.

?

Do you like the Rockets offering a full max deal to Chris Bosh?

1. YES

778 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. NO

318 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Even Dwight mentioned in the postseason that he needs to tone down how he carries himself through the season (smile less, staying focused and being serious), it's the mentality of remaining content/complacent that worries me.

A leader on this team is what we need and I feel like Beverley has got that 'go-getta' mentality, but the whole team needs to emulate that.

For Bosh, is he hungry to win again or just get paid? Again on paper, he would be an awesome fit, but I question his motivation to play hard and direct a team that wants to win titles. It's easy to do when you're riding on Lebron's coattails, because Lebron has/had that mentality to go get it done.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

From John Schuhmann at NBA.com, here's the one scenario where the Bosh/Melo swap could happen:

[​IMG]

It's far-fetched, but not unthinkable. If Wade took a Dirk/Duncan-esque deal, it becomes plausible.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That concept is overblown. Analytics people know that results of close games are mostly statistical noise, aka luck.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes that is a plausible scenario if Wade is willing to take a big paycut like that and they screw Ray Allen (who wants to come back and is a good friend of Lebron) and they screw Haslem (who opted out to help them but wants to be back.)

I actually hope it works out that way because that Heat team will be worse than they ever have been and we will get Bosh. So let's root for this plausible scenario to come true Cat!

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Basketball is the one team sport where one player can make a world of difference, and Love does not do that for the Wolves. Superstar players can drag garbage to the playoffs. It's quite routine actually.

6. Htown's Finest

Makes sense to me. I think Melo goes to Miami and takes $15 million a year. He will have more endorsement deals if he goes to the Heat so I think he will make more money going to Miami vs staying in NYK in the long run.

7. Chamillionaire

Lin
    Lin
    Lin
    Lin
    Lin

Lebron
    KD

In no particular order:
    Love
    Westbrook
    Melo
    A. Davis

In no particular order:
    Dirk
    CP3
    Duncan
    Griffin
    Harden
    Curry
    George
    LMA

In no particular order:
    Bosh
    Dragic
    Lilliard
    Boogie
    Dwight
    M. Gasol

Obviously Rose and Kobe healthy would be on the list after Lebron and KD.

I'm having a hard time with the SAS guys. They play so well together. :confused:

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I was under impression that Allen would probably play for the minimum at this point in his career. But you're right, it would require completely screwing over Haslem. Maybe give him a cushy FO job? :)

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

There are going to be questions about every player in the league. Every single one.

When we got James Harden- was he really a superstar? Was he worth the max? Was he just riding the coattails of Durant and Westbrook?

When we got Dwight- was he too injured? Was he past his prime? Did he care about winning? Was he serious enough?

Now, with Bosh, you are wondering if he has a drive to win anymore? You are questioning his motivation? I would think that his desire to play with Lebron, even if that meant taking a paycut, proves that he still wants to compete and win. He is unquestionably a great fit for our team and unquestionably makes our team better. Is he perfect? No. Would there be questions about his age and whether or not he would put us over the top? Of course. But if we have a chance to get him, we absolutely have to take that chance.

10. Chamillionaire

SM effin H.:rolleyes:

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I agree one player makes more of a difference in basketball more than most sports, but only to a certain extent.

You can't make blanket statements like "his team never had a winning season therefore he cannot be an elite player" without looking at all the circumstances.

1) He plays in the Western Conference. He probably would have led some 50 win teams in the Eastern conference the last few years.
    2) He had terrible teammates (please don't tell me Ricky ".485 TS% for career" Rubio is a good player)
    3) He was just plain unlucky in a lot of close games last year

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Advanced stats are meaningless if you have never even had a winning record in your wntire career. Basketball is just about the only sport where an individual can totally alter a franchise. There is absolutely ZERO top 5 nba players who have never even made the playoffs. I would argue there are not even any top 10 players. I put love in the Chris bosh in Toronto category

13. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

You say unlucky. I say choker.

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Top 5 player? He has made 1 all star game...No playoff appearances...Hate to beat a dead horse but 0 winning seasons.

He is very talented player and would be a great fit here but Jesus, top 5?

Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, CP3, Dwight, Curry, Harden, Parker, Marc Gasol, LA, Paul George are all more proven players. Keep your win share numbers, I'd rather go to war with any of these guys.

I know basketball is a team game, maybe Love isn't a great team player. More of a stat stuffer.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Chris Bosh in Toronto was absolutely a top ten player. He also made the playoffs with the Raptors in 08, btw.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Honestly, some of the Love supporters remind me of the Rudy Gay acolytes from back in the day

17. Remii

Remii Member

If your track record is on par with Jerry West I would do it. But if your track record is no different than mine in the NBA which is no track record at all _ hell no.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Riley's pitch to LeBron :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With McRoberts, Granger, and with promise of Napier, Ennis, Heat are better than they were at end of season. And haven't lost anyone (yet).</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/486532609187786752">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Plus, Heat still have options of sign-and-trades with all of their free agents, so long as (under tax rules) major raises aren't involved.</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/486532905557303296">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So basically McRoberts in for Battier, Granger in for Beasley, Napier in for Douglas, Ennis in for (argument's sake) Jones.</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/486533184889565184">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With Heat still in position to bring back Birdman, Ray Allen, Rashard and even Oden, should they so choose, possibly each with raises.</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/486533416398356481">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The gist being: Heat have made four consecutive NBA Finals, don't need major makeover. And it's not like anyone in East dramatically rising.</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/486533648402087938">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>All of that said, if LeBron were to (and this is just speculation) say he wants to go home for his family, a man can't be begrudged for that</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/statuses/486533954284314625">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

Love is a great player. I have always wanted him on the Rockets to pair with Dwight. He's younger and cheaper than Bosh. I think you could make a convincing argument for either one.

However, I think the big deciding factor for us is that Bosh is a free agent while we would have to trade for Love.

Bosh (who is a better defender than Love) + Parsons + Jones + draft picks is better than Kevin Love.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Kobe Bryant didn't make the play-offs in 2005. Was he not a top ten player then?