1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs turning attention to Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HR Dept, Jul 7, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ok never mind.

Ok, so just doing some math on my Iphone, I'm calculating that Parsons first year salary would be $15.75 at the max (25% of projected cap)... If that's wrong please correct this info (fuzzy math at the moment).

IMO, it looks like nobody has more reasoning to spend big on Parsons than the Dallas Mavericks. Looks like the Mavs (after Chandler/Calderon deal is done, & Dirk/Harris deals are finalized) will have roughly 15.28 million in cap space before empty roster charges.

Keep in mind that the Mavs CANNOT renounce the rights to both Marion and Carter to use their capspace and resign them for a full year. So you'd have to think that the goal is to hold the bird rights of Carter (since its much lower, and he's probably more important to them if Marion is being replaced in the starting lineup by someone like Deng/Parsons/Stephenson), and renounce Marion to create cap space.

So realistically, you have to think that Parsons offer from Dallas will be more like 11 to 12 million in year 1 with annual raises. 4 years 52 million sounds about right if you factor in all of the Mavs variables. I dont see them being able to offer the full max of 15.75 in year 1.

So lets put this into perspective.

This next year -

-Carlos Boozer will make 16.8 million (probably 4th best player on their team)
    -David Lee will make 15 million (probably 4th or 5th best player on team)
    -Josh Smith will make 14 million a year (probably 3rd best player on team)

If Chandler Parsons gets maxed out by some crazy reason, he's still the 4th best player on a team that is better than last years Pistons, Warriors, and Bulls. The 4th best player on the current Rockets team with everything being considered is more important than the 4th or 5th best player on a team below contender or right on the verge below it. That 4th - 5th best player typically is the one that really moves the needle for that team (AKA glue guy typically).

If the Rockets luck out and the most Parsons gets offer is 12 - 13 million a year, I think they will sleep well at night knowing they got a pretty good deal. Anything below that is an absolute bargain when you factor in how important he is to this team.

#61 dobro1229, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Mavs will try to force Morey to match Parsons, before Houston can sign a big free agent. Parsons might just agree to Cuban's terms.

DM hopefully won't be pressurized by Dallas' tactics.

Lin and Asik need to be moved ASAP, irrespective of whether anyone wants to come here or not.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Can't find the exact number, but I think under 6 years can sign for as much as 25% of the salary cap. That would be about $14.5 mil. That sounds right, because I've heard "Harden type max contract" from that old BimaThug thread, I think.

I'd let him walk for 15 if he went East. If he was offered anything in the West that was a 10+ seed last season, I'd suck it up and pay him to ensure a team like Dallas doesn't get him. What's an extra $3 million a year? Well worth it just to piss off Mark Cuban...but then again, it ain't my wallet.

As for the timing of all of this. He can't sign an offer sheet until the 10th, correct? And even if he is offered, he doesn't have to sign the offer sheet immediately correct? And if he signs an offer sheet, we have 72 hours to match, correct? If all those are true, than we have till the 13th to match, IF he signs an offer sheet on the first day.

Parson's could very likely field offers, report to the Rockets, and the Rockets could offer him just as much if he promises not to sign an offer sheet. This won't be necessary if Lebron and Co. make their decisions before the 10th though (assuming Parson's signs an offer sheet on Day 1).

If we can keep P and secure Bosh, we'd be strong at all 5 starting positions. Defensively, Harden would still be a glaring hole, but imagine our wing D WITHOUT Parsons. We can't afford to let him go, especially to a place like Dallas. We've already sent a top 5 center down to a division rival, are we really willing to risk sending such a solid player to another division rival...one that we actually despise?

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Is it based on projected cap? I thought it was based on this year's cap, as the 2014-15 cap has yet to be released. Maybe it's released on the 10th, and that's when they make the offers.

5. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

I could very likely be wrong but, owning Parsons' bird rights grants the Rockets the ability to offer more of an annual increase and an extra year.

taken from....
    http://nbaroundtable.wordpress.com/2010/04/18/maximum-contracts/

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hey, Cuban:

F*** off!

7. dobro1229

Thnx. We are off a little bit in what we are calculating, but I guess that still gives people the idea of what his "max" really looks like. I just wanted to give people a little more insight as to what an actual "Max Contract" really means with Parsons. People look at the Lebron/Melo max and think that's what Parsons is somehow going to be offered, and think Hell No.

Also I wanted to come up with a realistic number that the Mavs could offer if they put their best foot forward. The Harris move really killed them in free agency IMO. Just like last year, they had no reason to sign him so early. There really is no market for Devin Harris, and you'd think they'd learn from last year, that if you were able to pull that offer off the table, he'd still sign at the vet. min.

I dont know if anyone knows of any other teams that would have more motivation to overpay to get Parsons more than the Mavs, but I am all ears to take a look and see what they could realistically afford.

8. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Batum got 4 years/46 million last year. I think that is more of what Parsons will get. If some offers Hayward that max, that is just stupid

9. dobro1229

Not official, but Larry Coon "projected" it at 63.2 mil. 25% of that is $15.8.

Last year I remember when it came out, it was slightly above projections for that year. However it looks like teams are already operating with this assumption with their salary figures so I wouldn't think we'd see anything different than 63.2.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Is it really worth it to the Mavs to toy around with the Rockets while their money is tied up for three days? Considering that they are also considering Deng and other FAs, it probably would not be wise to mess around like that.

In regards to the Rockets, if the offer is not unreasonable and you have no guarantee from other stars, then you go ahead and match it. At the end of the day it isn't the end of the world. As excited as I am about possibly signing a third star, I've always been of the belief that I'd prefer we would start building a solid frame around our foundation (Harden/Howard). Morey's asset BS is quite frankly annoying at this point because we have a very legit duo that just needs to better role players around them.

I am tired of the instability of this roster and tired of treating our players like objects. I understand this is a business, but the way this organization speaks of their non-star players is very annoying. Yes, we are paying them millions to play a sport (for those jackasses that don't believe millionaires are humans too), but at the end of the day, we need to build some sort of loyalty and family amongst our players. As much as I hate the Spurs, I love how they treat their players and how they take care of them. We can't have roster instability and shuffling forever.

Hopefully this summer ends of all this BS. Whether we get another top notch player or not, I hope this is the end of this constant shuffling. We have a few players with potential and it would be nice to add a veteran or two to add some balance to our roster. A new coach would be nice, but as we all know, that probably won't be happening anytime soon.

1 person likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Parsons is gonna leave (ridiculous offer + Lin getting shipped will seal the deal for him mentally).

Morey will get cornblasted by the fanbase for breaking up the boyband that was the 2013 Houston Rockets.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

IIRC, there may a quirk in how the "cap" is calculated for the "max contract" purposes. So the number may not be exactly the 25% of the whatever that cap number is for! well! cap purposes.

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i thought they are going after stephenson?

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

QUICK! All the black kids on CF throw on a hoodie and shadow OUR golden boy. That way that MARK-ASS cuban walks to the other side of the street.

FUQ DALLAS!!!!

15. dobro1229

Looks like Cleveland is the biggest bidder so far for Hayward.

But look at it this way.

How many teams are out there that view Hayward & Parsons as the type of players that are going to put them over the edge (worth enough to over-pay them)??

AND (here's the kicker)

Have 15 million dollars in TRUE cap space?

The Cavs have roughly 17 million in cap space but they have a sizable cap hold on Wiggins. After you take Cleveland off the market in a Hayward deal, who still has that kind of money to knowingly over pay Parsons? (Dallas, Lakers, Phoenix, Utah?)

THAT is where the Rockets might luck out in the market for Parsons. Dallas might not have as much to spend as people think, the Lakers might want to save their cap space for real star players, Utah needs to rebuild with top level talent, Phoenix.... interesting....)

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well I guess that's the end of "Ladies Night Out" at Rockets games....

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Parssons D isn't very good anymore. Its pretty awful

1 person likes this.
  18. dobro1229

I saw something in the FAQ about those restrictions, but it was referring to 1st round picks. I'm not entirely sure about 2nd round picks.

19. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Good points.

I think the only reason Cuban drives up the price is to help Fegan

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that is wrong, the information you quoted is from the previous CBA

the 2011 CBA reduced the number of years contracts can be signed for and the amount of raises each year.

5 year max with 7.5% raises for bird rights players
    4 year max with 4.5% raises for FA/non-bird rights

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q54

Always go with Larry Coon's FAQ over ANY other website.