1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] As they enter free agency, Rockets keeping all options open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have a theory on Morey's plan. My thoughts. (P.S. I don't claim to be a salary cap expert so this is more of a rough draft. ;-) )

Plan A: Carmelo Anthony (keep Chandler Parsons)
    Plan B: Kevin Love (minus Chandler Parsons) + Kyle Lowry

Plan A is pretty self explanatory. The Rockets add a 3rd star in Carmelo Anthony and keep Parsons in the fold and he gets paid. It has been said that Parsons is being mentioned in the Carmelo pitch. Parsons was invited to the meeting, though will not attend. We know via the HouChronicle that Dwight Howard really wants to WOO Carmelo at this meeting. Why? Because Dwight wants to keep his buddy Parsons. They have their big 4!

Because if the Rockets don't get Carmelo, then we have plan B…..

Plan B (part 1). Being a big Chandler Parsons fan, this is tough for me to write, but I think Plan B is Chandler agreeing to a S&T to Minny, for the big payday he is looking for, in exchange for Kevin Love. Minny was willing to max GSW's Klay Thompson. They probably won't max Parsons, but he will get close. Wouldn't be surprised if starting at 14M.

Recently Parsons hinted at the fact he might be willing to do a S&T if big money was involved.

If Morey could get Love without Parsons (using all of our liquid assets), I think he would. But I think the rubber meets the road here with Minny staying FIRM on getting a "quality player" back. They could just wait until the trade deadline if they wanted to. Boston will always be hovering.

Minny tried to extract out of GSW Thompson+GSW 2015 Pick+Lee (salary match, minus asset).
    Rockets could offer S&T Parsons+Rox 2015 Pick + Dmo (or Jones).
    Notice I DID NOT include the NOP 2015 1st round pick or Capella. Minny gets Parsons (potential star) and that is the price of doing business. Maybe the Rockets could give up their 2017 1st as a last sweetener. Maybe.
    This trade could get morphed into something larger with NOP & Asik with Eric Gordon going to Minny and Kevin Martin back to NOP or something like that. I am not a cap expert but there could be something there. Lots of potential moving parts.

PLAN B LYNCHPIN. Here is the key with giving up Parsons for Love. The next move.

Plan B (part 2). Rockets meet Kyle Lowry at midnight July 1st. Give him the lowdown on the plan and the timetable and give him a good contract offer. Lowry takes that "offer" back to the Raptors to get their counter. They probably do, and might even add the 5th year. Lowry now has two good offers.

Lowry SHUTS DOWN. He does not talk to Miami, or any other suitors. I find this very curious!

Rockets try to engage in S&T of Lin+Asset for Lowry. (Lin could be routed to a 3rd team - Utah, Philly etc). If Toronto balks, Rockets can just move Lin to Utah/Philly and take Lowry into CAP SPACE (BTW, this move probably has to happen before the Love trade to keep cap space). The Rockets would rather not use cap space but rather structure everything into trades to stay above the cap and keep MLE options available.

At the end of the day, it would be LOVE + LOWRY (the two K's, Kevin and Kyle).

So, Morey is looking at these options
    1) Carmelo + Parsons
    2) Love + Lowry
    3) Parsons + Lowry (Rockets just offer Lowry and then go home. This is the "single" and not the home run)

The lockerroom (Howard) probably wouldn't be too happy to lose Parsons, but I think they would get over it.

I HATE to give up Chandler Parsons. But if the Rockets added Lowry AND Love that makes the lineup pretty strong. Then you just have to add the 3+D guy on the wing next to Harden. Lowry gives the Rockets another D guy, guy that can create his own shot and hit 3s. We know what Love brings to the table. If the Rockets stay above the cap, they use the MLE on a 3+D guy (Sefaloshsa etc). Also, in the original Love/Parsons trade, the Rockets KEEP the NOP 2015 1st rounder which could be used for this position next year.

Anyway, I am not a cap expert and the timing of these events probably have to be pretty precise, but from looking at the landscape and what we know, I think this could be pretty close to a Morey plan.

4 people like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Interesting speculation. Now turn it all into a flowchart.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL! Yeah. I tell ya, I think I might have wasted my time a bit. From looking at what BimaThug is proposing -> Melo+ keep parsons + another top player (like a Lowry), that just blows my mind. I didn't know the Rockets could make that work salary wise.

I thought it would be X OR Y...not X AND Y

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Definitely an interesting proposal and theory ... I think the Rockets would love that and Bima's knowledge and instincts are usually so good that I wouldn't be surprised if they're pursuing that, but it does involve those guys taking a little less.

Harden, Howard, Carmelo, Parsons, Lowry, Beverley ... that's crazy.

What I want to know -- where does Jordan Hill fit in all of this? Seems like an MLE-type of signing to me.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In almost any "Big Five" scenario, you're probably talking about the Rockets filling out the rest of their roster with mostly vet minimum guys.

If the Rockets land either Melo or Lowry via S&T, they'll be HARD-capped at the apron level, which should be about $81 million next year.

My guess is that, at least for most of next season, the Rockets would have to walk a tightrope to keep the total team salary below the apron.

1 person likes this.
  6. basketballholic

All of a sudden Kevin Love is looking better and better....no sign-and-trade required.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Nice theory. I mostly agree with the rationale though I added one more option, (4) missing out on Melo, Love, & Lowry and signing a less heralded guy like Deng, Frye or Ariza to join Howard, Harden, Parsons, Beverley etc.

I think the Rockets have a real shot at Melo, but unfortunately IMO so does CHI & NY. Oddly, I think the Knicks are the odds on favorites.

Like Melo, I think Lowry will seriously consider the Rockets, but a return to Toronto for more money and that extra 5th year will also be compelling.

I wouldn't be too surprise if the Rockets get Melo OR Lowry, I just wouldnt bet on it.

One thing I definitely do NOT see happening is option 2, Love & Lowry. Prediction - Kevin Love is NOT coming to the Rockets. There are major obstacles to making a trade for Love, with or without Parsons.

First and offer without Parson is not going to work. Minnesota is not going to trade Love for TJones, Capela, Pelican pick, Rockets picks, etc when they've already turned down better offers built around future assets/picks from Boston and Sacramento. And no, neither Capela, Tjones nor the 2015 Pelicans pick is better than Bostons 6 pick or Sacramentos 8 pick alone. Also of note, Sacramento's offer wasn't even contingent on a Love extension.

Second, with Parsons in a S&T the Rockets could have a compelling offer for Minnesota, one significant problem remains, such an offer would hinge on CParson agreeing to go to Minnesota. Now why would Cparson agree to go to one of the worst run organizations in the league for (10-12 million 4yr 40-50) when he might very well get the same offer from Pheonix, LA or Dallas? Unless Minnesota offers him the max or close to it (14-16 million 4yr 56-63) and teams like LA/Orl/DAL/PHX don't, Parson has little incentive to choose MIN, unless hes harboring some secret love for all things FARGO.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like option 4: Love + Lance Stephenson

Stephenson makes more sense for this team than Lowry. He can either come off the bench for instant offense or start alongside Harden and Beverley improving the perimeter D instead of just replacing it (Lowry).

9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should know by tomorrow, right?

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Unfortunately like Howard I think this drags out over the July 4th weekend...

Hopefully Melo makes a quick decision.

11. howardsucks

howardsucks Member

I nominate Mr. Bigshot, Chauncey Billups. Someone pls E-mail this to Morey. We need a Champ Vet with balls for Playoffs. Make our team tougher and selfless.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chauncey Billups talks about future. He may play for contender, take a front office job or do TV (unlikely to coach): <a href="http://t.co/r2KdDZ2M3z">http://t.co/r2KdDZ2M3z</a></p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statuses/484896216497393665">July 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOW!
    Did not know he was still balling

Rocket River

13. Raj Da Dodge

Raj Da Dodge Member

He is staying over in LA over the weekend and might make a decision by the end of the weekend.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I don't see melo leaving the Knicks anymore. That contract shown in his face with "$129mil for 5yrs" is hard to pass up.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Bosh might be the only best option left.

16. battousai

battousai Member

if we are aiming at Bosh, why not to Lebron?

If Bosh is leaving, no way Lebron is staying with Heat. However is Wade is leaving then that's a whole new story.

So the trio is breaking up if that is the case. I would shoot for Lebron, i know a very slim possibility but nonetheless, a possibility (very small)

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seems like Lebron has let it be known he's not interested.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

When is free agency over? Can't find a deadline on the net strangely.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We need a couple players like Chauncey even if they just sit on the bench and never play. Those guys would really help to counteract what McHale brings to the team.

20. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Has anyone head anything in regards to Jordan Hill or if he has been offered a contract any where? I think he would be a solid addition behind Howard.