1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Lebron hope that Chris Bosh would leave Miami on his own accord

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

... so that 1) Miami can sign Melo to play with Lebron, and 2) it doesn't make Miami and Lebron look bad for forcing out a teammate?

This is what Stephen A Smith is suggesting on Sports Center-- that "Bosh is holding things up" because "if he goes to Houston, Miami can sign Melo."

Looks like Lebron wants to break up with Bosh for Melo but doesn't want to be the bad guy betraying a teammate who sacrificed to help win 2 titles-- want to protect the King's brand.

Is the whole Lebron going to Cleveland thing a head fake designed to hasten Bosh's exit to Houston or whatever team so Lebron can then sign back with Miami with Melo in tow?

Personally, I don't even think that Melo is better than Bosh. Bosh did a lot of the dirty work for the team, too. Is Melo gonna defend the likes of David West, Hibbert, Duncan and Howard now?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

SAS pulled that out of thin air.

He gave no support to that theory.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

its bull**** as referenced above.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Mel isn't taking a huge paycut. I don't blame him.

5. slestack11

slestack11 Member

It seems that Melo only wants to play in a major media city like NY or LA. He asked Joakim Noah what it's like to be a celebrity in Chicago so this seems like a major concern for him. Phil Jackson said in the past that he would only work in NY or LA because, as a sports coach or player, you are a secondary celebrity in NY or LA and athletes can go out in public without getting mobbed. Plus, Carmelo hasn't even met with Miami yet. Seems like Melo is going to decide before Lebron. If they are to team up, it would be with a team that they both already met with.

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I believe there was more than one shooter during the JFK assassination.

-SA Smith

7. Aleron

Aleron Member

Lebron is going back to Cleveland

8. calcium

calcium Member

If LeBron goes back to Cleveland, they could field a team with 4 #1 picks.

I dont think that's ever happened before.

In fact, I dont think a team with 3 #1s has ever played together.

No stats to back it up, just an "I think...".

9. thephatp

thephatp Member

I didn't hear that (on SportsCenter), but ironically, I was thinking part of that last night when heading to bed.

I wonder if LBJ is waiting to try and force Bosh's hand. Then, he can do whatever he wants without looking like a dirt bag. Didn't think about Miami signing Melo, and I don't think there's any support for that (agree SAS is pulling that out of his butt). However, I do think that would open the door for LBJ to leave Miami without tarnishing his legacy so much.

10. Aleron

Aleron Member

They'd probably only field two, there's no better deal out there for Minnesota than Wiggins + Bennett + ?

And in answer to the other thing, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Earvin 'Magic' Johnson, James Worthy and Mychal Thompson.

We had 3 with Hakeem, Sampson and Lucas

#10 Aleron, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  11. aelliott

aelliott Member

Actually the late '80s Lakers teams had 4 former #1 overall picks:

Magic, Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Michael Thompson.

As far as 3 #1 overall picks, the Rockets also did it in '85 and '86 with Olajuwon, Sampson and Lucas.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

This theory makes zero sense and is just as dumb as basketballholic's "Memphis is trying to piss Zach Randolph off so he'll leave and they can sign Gasol" theory.

It falls apart simply because it is adding intrigue to accomplish a goal that didn't need it. All Lebron has to do it tell Pat Riley that he wants to come back but he doesn't want Bosh back. Riley never has to say anything publicly about it.

People are too sensationalist these days. Not everything that is done is part of some devious masterplan by someone else.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

This. This sort of passive aggressive noegotation tactic won't be very good at getting you what you want. If Lebron wants Melo instead of Bosh, he tells Riley to do that. Riley won't say no. And Riley doesn't care if he looks mercenary. Lebron can feign ignorance and say it's Riley's thing. He can even go on to say he's skeptical but after talking it through with Melo and with Riley he sees that it'll work well enough that he can re-sign. Riley would probably drop Wade like a bad habit too, if Lebron asked him to.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This would also mean LeBron wants to play power forward for the next 4 years of his career. Can't see that.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Lebron and his agent know that something has to give with the big 3 in Miami from a cap perspective, and Bosh moving on makes the most sense.

What Lebron isn't considering though(since it looks like he's intrigued by Melo now all the sudden) is that losing their only legit big man (other than an aging Birdman whose done one-to-many drugs in his life) will leave them asking even more dirty work out of Lebron.

What Lebron really needs is for Miami to parlay Bosh into a Omer Asik type, and then bring in more shooting around him and Wade.

They also need to convince Wade to stretch out his 2 year salary into a 4 year deal with a cherry on top. They can't afford him making 20 million+ a year. Now that he's declined his option he's playing right into their hands.

I think this was Lebron's agents pitch to Lebron right when the season ended, and the entire time they've essentially been playing chicken with Bosh to move on or take less. I think there has been a serious communication breakdown with these guys, and players not understanding how the salary cap works is probably only adding to the communication breakdown.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspected as much

Rocket River

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I did not know Bosh drove a Honda. I honestly thought he would drive something a little more expensive. Oh well, if LeBron wants Bosh out, I say we help him pack that Accord with all his stuff and move here.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think LeBron wants to play with Melo . . ..
    but also wants to stay in Miami

I always said Bosh seemed like the odd man out.

Rocket River

19. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

in reality Wade shoould be the odd man out. His knees are done

20. izeroi

izeroi Member

When free agency first started and we started hearing about melo/lorwy/heat rumors I really though they were going to tell Bosh if he didn't opt out he'd be traded.

Now I'm really not sure what to think.