1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Embarrassed to be a rockets fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m0lson, Jul 4, 2014.

1. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

+1000. Vets don't mean ****. All fans can be irrational, that's what makes sports so fun and miserable at the same time lol

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol at the impression you're making. You also seem to think that an all star at every position is the only thing that'll net you a ring.

3. Jt29

Jt29 Member

N exactly how many rings does morey produced?

4. milica

milica Member

Apart from the name calling this is actually an interesting basketball discussion about the ways to form a championship team, and both sides of the argument are partially right.

Whether you draft or buy your superstars, you need to get them playing together as a team.

It may be easier when you draft young players and have them sacrifice for the team from the get-go, but there are no guarantees.
    Miami did buy its superstars, but it was their decision (even a conspiracy), and they were all willing to somewhat adapt their game, even LeBron.
    The Spurs incredible ball movement this year seems to have made people forget that Heat have a good system of ball movement and a "pass-happy" offense themselves...

Your role players are also extremely important to create a system, and no superstar can win it alone without someone like Horry, Chalmers, or Mills playing well...

Which brings us to the possible Big 3 in Harden, Howard and Melo. Would they be willing to adapt to playing with each other and who do you see sacrificing and adapting among them?

On defense, I don't see even a Thibodeau-like system managing to put Harden and Melo together on the floor at the same time.

Melo seems just like a bigger forward-shifted version of Harden that provides mostly scoring.

So, I think that you can buy the third superstar, but I don't think Melo is the right one. It needs to be someone more humble and/or with a better D.

And in any case, success won't happen overnight, it will take some time to put a new system in place and have your superstars adapt to it...

1 person likes this.
  5. okeezie

okeezie Member

LQUOTE=Jt29;9071135]N exactly how many rings does morey produced?[/QUOTE]

How many rings has anybody not named Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, and Pat Riley got recently? Ill answer for you..2..Boston got one after they put 3 Hall of Famers together for a Big 3..and Dallas has 1..that is it..so Morey is following the model of those 4 teams..get your Big 3 and build around them. The only team that did not have a Big 3 was Dallas...Morey took over a team with 2 broken down max guys in Tmac and Yao..he has replaced them with no top draft picks..you complainers just whine about anything. Don't let facts get in the way of a stupid argument.

6. Artestsuckskobe

I'm embarrassed you are a rockets fan. You make me sick... Losers liked you should go be a mavs fan... #inmoreywetrust

7. Fantasma Negro

This is pretty a dumb post, and doesn't need a threat. The Houston Rockets are the most ambitious team in the league. They never stop trying to win. That's something that should entice free agents. So what we won't get Melo or LeBron, Morey is not gonna stop trying until he puts together a team that hoists that trophy at the end of the season or he dies. I want a gm that's always working to improve the team, that's his job and in his job sometimes you swing and miss other times you land James Harden, then you swing again and land Dwight Howard, now he's swinging again. If you want to be stagnant and have no ambition and just draft and develop go root for the Bobcats, I love the ambition of my Rockets

1 person likes this.
  8. okeezie

okeezie Member

Good point. My point is the moment they declined Parsons you knew they were going shopping for a star first. Why decline Parsons on a cheap contract if your main target is Spencer Hawes? You don't. Its much easier to supplement with role players when you have your stars in place. All these 2nd round picks buys are an attempt to find top notch role players. He is not making those picks to draft an All Star. Canaan, Daniels, Covington, Beverley, Nick Johnson were brought in to be role players in addition to the stash picks overseas. To intimate that Morey is ignoring role players is missing the boat..he is just not willing to overpay for role players until he is sure that player is the missing link ie Shane Battier when we thought Yao and T-mac would lead us somewhere.

9. MystikArkitect

Good post. Never did understand why Melo was option #1 over Bosh and Love considering a true stretch 4 with some size is what is needed in this system more than anything. Feel like those two compliment H&H's game more than Melo, but I guess you take a star any way you can.

Morey has shown the ability to get great role players and make them play above their pay grade (Parsons, Beverly, Daniels, Jones, Landry, Scola, Lowry, Dragic) so that part isn't concerning to me. Unlike the NFL, it's a shame the NBA is more geographically driven (LA, NY, MIA) than any other league. LA can't even get an NFL franchise because that's how little that matters in that league....

10. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Please remove OP thread creating ability.

..Also, please ship OP to MIL so he can truly get excited about being an embarrassed fan.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How many active GM's in the league have produced a ring???? (and how many of those GM's have won 8 of the last 12 titles?)

Dude.... this is a BS way to judge your GM or coach.

In all actuality, Morey was a big part of instilling the vision that eventually brought the Celtics a title in 07. As the SVP of operations from 03 to 06, many of the transactions that were made in that time period leading up to the big 3 Summer were heavily influenced by Morey working under Ainge. That's more than most teams can say about their active GM.

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lmao. Dude, you are the most misinformed, irrational poster I've ever come across. To call your post dumb is being as nice as possible. First off, that riff raff player Hawes was actually coveted by Morey last year. Explain why we don't need him now? Lol. Chris Kaman is a solid back center up with decent post moves. What's your basis? I forgot, you have none. Your just saying anything to defend Morey. The Spurs consistently take under valued players and make them valuable. If you had it your way, you'd pass up on Splitter, Mills, Green, Diaw and label them "riff raff" players. Idiot. Getting 2 stars is useless without solid role players. Our roster has too many holes to not be aggressive. Who exactly is our back up center? How many pure shooters do we have to space the floor? Who's our main 6th man scorer? Wheres the defensive wing defender we need?

It's hard to debate posters with such poor basketball knowledge:(

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are arguing under the assumptions that there aren't plans in place for other guys. You are also working under the assumption that you know what's good for the team more than the staff who works endless hours on this stuff.

Basically your problem is that things aren't happening RIGHT NOW. What happens after all your whining and complaining we end up plugging all the holes we have with other guys Morey values?

14. okeezie

okeezie Member

Once again you are campaigning a strategy that one team employs...and all those players happen to be foreign which speaks to their ball movement and passing skill..no one else has won a title with that style..the Spurs are unique and should be looked at as such. And by the way they still have a Big 3 which we do not. I have also seen Miami go to 4 straight Finals and win 2 titles with the Big 3 model. I saw the Lakers win 2 titles with the Big 3 model. And I saw Boston win a title with the Big 3 model. So 1 Spurs title(with unselfish international players) vs 5 titles and 9 Finals appearances by Big 3s (Boston 2, Lakers 3, Heat 4). Simple math buddy. I hope you can count.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You might want to define a big 3 then. The lakers didn't have a big 3 Model, they had a big 2 model. To prove that, and since you already used the heat finals trips as a metric, the lakers got to the finals without Andrew Bynum, they've always operated with a Gasol/Kobe attack during those years. The converse of what you are stating is actually true. The big-3 starting to gain traction after Boston (players that COMPLETELY complemented one another...) and became big after the Heat. I could list out all the titles over the last 10 years, but you go ahead and do that, naming your "big 3"--which should be perennial AS caliber players.

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

This is not about a style of play, its about finding players that are under the radar that can contribute. We are spending too much time waiting on Carmelo's answer while teams like the Clippers are making small effective moves, retooling their roster. We should be the most aggressive team this offseason. Yet, we're not. San Antonio's big 3 hadn't existed in 4-5 years. Their a whole team of under valued guys that come in and contribute. We need guys that.bInstead we're stuck waiting on Carmelo to make up his mind:rolleyes:

17. Jt29

Jt29 Member

How many rings has anybody not named Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, and Pat Riley got recently? Ill answer for you..2..Boston got one after they put 3 Hall of Famers together for a Big 3..and Dallas has 1..that is it..so Morey is following the model of those 4 teams..get your Big 3 and build around them. The only team that did not have a Big 3 was Dallas...Morey took over a team with 2 broken down max guys in Tmac and Yao..he has replaced them with no top draft picks..you complainers just whine about anything. Don't let facts get in the way of a stupid argument.[/QUOTE]

Who recently got their championship? The spurs or the big 3 model? Honestly, who are the better management team, spurs or the heat? It takes 3 players collusion to form it too for the heat. Boston is the one that management should get credit for forming big 3 without players collusion. Why the need to copy others? Find what works for u, n believe in your system. Tmac n yao's team was not morey's fault but after that when was the rockets was so close at sniffing championship? It was when rick adelman was in charge, at WCF. Last season? Early 1st rd exit, thanks to mchale.

18. Jt29

Jt29 Member

N last season? Morey was made clueless by the blazers.

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

Kobe, Bynum, Gasol were All Stars...Big 3..Garnett, Pierce, Allen..Big 3..Durant, Westbrook, Harden..Big 3..LeBron, Wade, Bosh..Big 3...Parker, Ginobili, Duncan..Big 3..the current trends are the current trends. Why do you want to bring up titles from 10 years ago? How is that relevant? You need 3 transformitive talents to build around. What idiot would give Spencer Hawes 6 million when you have a shot at LeBron, Melo, Bosh, or trading for Love? That is just stupidity.

20. okeezie

okeezie Member

So Morey buying 2nd round picks every year to stash, drafting Landry, Bud, Parsons, Canaan, and Nick Johnson in the 2nd round, signing Beverley, Daniels, Covington off the street, trading for Lowry and Dragic when they were benchwarmers is him not trying to find under the radar players? LMAO!!