1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What offers RFA Chandler Parson might receive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Match or No Match

Poll closed Jul 10, 2014.
  1. match any offer (max 14 starting)

27.7%
  2. match only if less than 12 starting

72.3%
  1. boiler

boiler Member

The only problem is that teams may not want to wait. Once they figure out Parsons has no intention to play for them, they will withdraw the offer and move on to the next target. If there are no offers for him to sign, Parsons will have a lot to lose.

2. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I see your point but I disagree.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I never said they couldn't. However, everyone seems to think that Parsons will simply take the highest offer. I'm confident he won't take the highest offer. That doesn't mean he'll stay in Houston, but if say a team like Charlotte offered him a max deal, do you really think he would jump on that?

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

the max? Absolutely.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

You're crazy. What's a max deal for Parsons, 14-15 mil a year? If you had to choose taking 14 million in Charlotte or 11-12 million in Houston, from a team that could have paid you only 1 million next year, meaning you would have possibly skipped out on 10-12 million of that money, AND risk regressing/getting injured, you would take Houston.

If a max deal is something like 20 million, yah okay you're going to look at your future and say I have a chance to make 30 million more in the next 4-5 years, I need to suck it up for my family and my future. But when you're talking about the difference between 11 and 13 million, a sacrifice would be well worth it.

I'm just not that familiar with salary structures and how much Parsons can be offered.

6. newAge_Rockets

All Chandler had to do is not sign too early. Don't force us out of our cap room! Let us sign our free agent, and then we'll take care of your contract.Then we ship him, the NOP pick, two of our first rounders, Jones for Love:(:eek::cool:

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

If someone is offering him the max, they're also offering him a go-to role on the team, probably betting on him as their second star. So not only would he get bigger money, he'd get a chance to see if he can make a name for himself as one of the stars of the league. He might win championships and still make $10m in Houston, but he'd do it as the 3rd or 4th option. Maybe he picks that, but I can see the appeal of going to a Charlotte to try to make a name for yourself.

8. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

And he should take the highest offer to the city of his choice. I'm not confident that he would take less to stay with us because he is not ignorant to the fact the he could still be moved in a Love deal. That's what makes it a business decision both ways. There are always dynamic variables in decisions like these, but the one thing the Rockets are not known for in the Morey era, is loyalty.

9. boiler

boiler Member

More likely 4th, or even 5th option if they can get Love and Lowry.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Which is why if your talking about him agreeing to a Kevin Love trade(which i think he has to do in order to S&T), you have to think that he at least thinks about it. He's got a pass first PG, a legit big man in Pek, some decent supporting vets, some shooting around him to allow him to play make, some young talent, and he gets to be the #1 option offensively with a max contract. There are worse places for Parsons to go.

If the Klay Thompson deal falls through and the Rox strike out on Melo, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this resurfaces next week.

I know I know

We
    Are
    Not
    Trading
    Parsons

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Can Parson's be moved without his approval on the first year of a new contract?

I don't think he can. And Morey showed a LOT of loyalty and commitment to Parsons by making him a free agent this year. He could have gotten him for 1 million next year and risked losing him altogether, but could have had much more salary to work with to improve the team THIS YEAR. I think Les and Morey have both shown extreme confidence in Parsons, confidence we didn't see with guys like Chase Budinger.

Yes, Morey is not loyal to those who haven't proven themselves.

Parsons has certainly proved that he can be a pretty good player in this league.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

He could. But simply assuming he will take the highest bidder because it is the difference between a few million is silly. It's hard for people like us to imagine someone turning down a deal that was more than $1million than another, but people do it all the time. Most of the time, you're right, players take the highest bidder, usually the one that will also give them more control, but how many of those players end up making the right decision in terms of their career?

How many players have gone on to make max money and never accomplish anything in their careers because they gobbled up too much cap space and didn't allow their teams to get better. Guys like Lebron may be able to get away with it.

13. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Morey not picking up the option was in the Rockets' best interest. It allows them to remain in the driver's seat while making Parsons happy in the process.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It was in both the Rockets and CP's best interest, it gave us more control in keeping him, not getting rid of him. It would possibly help us if we needed him in a sign and trade, but other than that, it was more about giving us more control in CPs future than anything. However, there was much talk last year about how Les/Morey and co. liked CP and thought he deserved his pay day. I even think I remember a quote from DM about how they wouldn't try to undercut him and would pay his "market value."

The point is, at the end of the day, players and teams will do what is best for them-- with small considerations for guys they like. That doesn't mean taking the highest offer. It means considering the circumstances. If winning is CPs main concern, he won't take a max deal, because no good team can offer him such a deal. If his priority is to make a name for himself, become a top player, than yes, he would likely go to a place like Charlotte.

Do you think Parsons is that kind of guy? I mean I know he said he was the best 3 in the series, but do you think HE thinks he can go to a crap team and be THE guy? I don't believe he is that crazy. He is too sexy to be that crazy.

15. meh

meh Member

The difference is that in the NBA, you cannot choose where you work. Yes, there are no-trade clauses available, but they're almost never given to players less than superstar caliber or aging vets on short contracts. Teams will not give up the flexibility of trading players. Not Morey, not anyone else either.

What you say would be true only if all NBA contracts have built-in no-trade clauses.

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He's getting 14 a year... you guys don't have to believe me... only way he gets less is if Morey and Parsons struck a deal with some team to offer him a set amount then Morey would match.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

*sigh*

*double sigh*

18. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Lol so 3 1st round picks. And 2 first round young players for a guy who doesn't play defense and has never taken his team to the playoffs.

19. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Parsons spent the past 2 years as the most underpaid player in the NBA. So he doesn't owe the Rockets anything for voiding his current contract. Yes, they let him enter free agency one year early. But they did it for their own sake, not for Parsons's. Parsons will be paid below market value as a RESTRICTED free agent this summer. He would've have been paid fair market value as an UN-RESTRICTED free agent next summer.

The difference between $10M salary from the Rockets, and a $13M salary elsewhere, is huge. Over the life of a 4-year contract, that equates to a $12M loss. That is a humongous sum for a player who has never even had a salary of $1M in his NBA career so far.

The Rockets can probably convince Parsons to take a lower salary by offering a 5th year on the contract at a player option. In that situation, I can see Parsons accepting (at most) $1.5M less per year from the Rockets. If another team offers him a 4-year $46M contract, the Rockets can probably convince him to stay for 5-year $50M with player option on the 5th year.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

11 mil a year for 3-4 years and 14 million for 3-4 years. Thats earning 9 million - 12 million more. Thats hardly chump change. First and foremost for most players the nba is a business , they are all about getting at much money as possible. For older players, this may be an exception as they have already earned alot and are looking to win, but for younger players like Parsons who just came off his rookie contract, they want to make bank.

Now obviously if he has to choose between Charlotte and Houston when they have they same offers, its a no brainer.

But in my opinion, if a team is stupid enough to offer him the max, he will take it no matter where it is.