1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Scotus] Hobby Lobby wins case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

2. justtxyank

5-4 ruling.

Breyer and Kagan wrote separate dissenting opinions.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ala Carte taxes here we come!

I don't wanna have to pay for a military!

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Hobby Lobby: A company that stands up for family values and integrity.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...-products-while-claiming-religious-objection/

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Surprise, a controversial political topic produces a 5-4 split. #checksandbalances

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Hobby Lobby likes their female employees pregnant and working on crafts.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The question is not whether HL should provide abortion/contraception coverage.

The question is whether they should be forced to.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm forced to provide funding to a lot of **** I don't morally believe in but hey who the **** am I? Just a person, not a corporation.

1 person likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...and now you're in commodore world where every time the government does anything (that he disagrees with) IT'S LIKE TOTAL FORCE RAPE MAN!

Keep drinking plus sized sodas and chain smoking dood.

10. justtxyank

Ruling is pretty limited in scope.

"Closely held corporations" are considered persons entitled to religious belief. Ruling avoids dealing with large corporations. Ruling also seems to say the government has a valid interest in providing access to contraception. Seems to give legal wink wink to Obama to use regulations to have the government to just pay for it when a company doesn't.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's against my religion to pay taxes.

Can I opt out of that?

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

BREAKING: immediate first reaction from Obama

[​IMG]

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

fixed

All government action is backed by the use of force, not sure why that is a controversial claim.

Which is not to say all government force is immoral or unjustified.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

you know when SamFisher is pissed and out of logic when he starts in with the capital letters and dood references

15. Major

Major Member

Its an interesting ruling, and one that's not bad for either party it seems. On one hand, Hobby Lobby gets out of providing contraception coverage. On the other, it seems to validate the workaround that the Obama admin had put in place for religious non-profits which people seemed happy with.

Like you said, the ruling seemed to be a "win" for Obama on the issue of whether the government has an interest in this but was a "loss" on the issue of whether it was the simplest solution. The opinion just seemed to be "well, there's a workaround for non-profits, and it seems to work, so that is an option that these closely held corporations should be able to use."

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's a terrible ruling. We will now spend decades dealing with lawsuits based on this precedent and it opens the door for other corporations to pursue management's interest at the expense of their employees. Just because they only ruled on closely held corporations doesn't mean other corps won't try for the same things and it sure doesn't mean the SC would strike them down. It also creates a huge incentive to not privatize, which could have great impacts in the future. Like campaign spending, the righties on the court convinced themselves (or pretended to) that we live in a fantasy land where nothing bad will come from such a narrow ruling. Strict constructionists my ass. At least the founding fathers were hard-core realists.

I wonder what Koch Industries will now do now?

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

By the way, they also dealt a pretty big blow to unions in another decision today, essentially limiting their dues which means less they will have to curtail political spending.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you supported george w. bush

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

haha - what a bunch of stupid hypocritical morans.

the question for me is what right hobby lobby has to be in their employees personal medial issues.

this is so childish, petty and stupid.

these evangelicals will gladly pay taxes to wage war and kill people, but god forbid their employes have full health care coverage.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hobby Lobby provides 16 forms of birth control. they did not want to provide abortifacient, which is what this case was about.

and the morning after pill is now available OTC, so any woman who wanted that type of "birth control" could easily walk down to CVS and pick it up.

this is a common sense ruling.