1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trade tonight (Asik to NO for future 1st) signifies one thing: Morey's prize is Kevin Love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dat Dude, Jun 25, 2014.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

there was some blurb on love hinting he doesn't want to go to the cavs, nuggets, or suns because he wouldn't sign an extension there.

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Member

LeBron is not leaving Miami! so please stop talking about Morey chasing him. The big 3 will stay together. They met yesterday to all get on the same page. The pressur e is on LeBron to stay and make it work in Miami and not run to another team to chase a ring. He aint going nowhere people!

This comes down to Melo and Love. Picking up that potential lottery pick yesterday was a huge move for us. Teams losing star players need those type of picks as compensation. This could be a interesting draft night and rest of the week to see what Mr Morey has up his sleeve.

Either way, Melo, Love, or a combination of other players, WE WILL BE A BETTER TEAM next season.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I really really hope we get love today

4. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

A swing and a miss.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

No, I think it's just the opposite.

One, NO has a decent team. I expect the pick to be in the mid-teens. That's not going to motivate Minnesota.

Two, to find a deal where we take no salary back, we surrendered some value in talent. If we were all in for Love, we would have taken back some salary burden from the other team in order to justify a stronger pick back. We didn't so we can leave the door open for free agency. Now, we might still make an offer for Love, but I don't think it will be very compelling (Parsons, #25, 2015 ~#15, filler?).

Three, it complicates our ability to match salaries with Love. We needed Asik and/or Lin as the basis of any deal for Love to fill in the salary matching. Asik would have been preferable because his market value is positive. Now, you can't use his salary, so you have to use Lin's, which has negative market value. So, now the deal looks like Lin (plus a net cost of an additional ~$4-6m cash), Parsons, #25, #15, and filler for Love? That's really not very compelling.

This is clever. I hadn't considered prepaying someone for taking a player.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I think we can move Lin to Philly and Philly move Thaddeus Young to Minnesota. Granted Young has one more year left on his deal but he's not a bad player by any means. Parsons, Young, Dmo, #25, Pelicans' future 1st? That's quite a haul.

7. FANfrom86toNow

What else does Philly get for taking on Lin and shipping out Young in this deal?

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Future 1st? 2nd? Money-wise, it's almost a wash as Lin will cost them $15 in total while Young will cost them around $19 but that's spread over two seasons. Of course it's just my opinion but this is also helping Hinkie and Philly moreso than just a Lin/1st for their caproom.

9. Smook

Smook Member

10. ArtV

ArtV Member

Welll said basketballholic. That is a nice realistic write-up.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think out of all the talk - Love is the best fit, and probable target.

DD

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Would he be our backup 5 as well?

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

That's a lot of assets, but they're all mid-grade. Don't you think Utah would surrender the #5 for Love, or maybe Philly would give up one of their picks. I'd rather have 1 great asset like that than a bunch of nice-but-not-great-stuff like what we can offer.

14. don grahamleone

Then why did he opt out? And who are your sources? And is there anything else that we should stop talking about?

15. don grahamleone

Love holds the cards. He has to sign an extension to have any real trade value. No one is giving up a #5 in a stacked draft for a player that is going to walk. He is, way more than likely, going to the team of his choice.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Okafor would be a very good target for that.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont even know if the wolves would want parsons. meaning i dont know if they want to pay him the money he will get.

they may want picks, rookie contracts, and to get rid of salary.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I didn't consider any lottery draft picks this year but I guess you're right.

I just look at it as:

"Is David Lee, Klay Thompson, and whatever GS wanted to throw at Minnesota better than Parsons, DMo, Thaddeus Young, and two first rounders?"

19. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I rather have Harden than Melo.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

That's a STRONG offer.

No way Minny could pass on that for Love.