1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets finalizing deal to send Omer Asik to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of Omer Asik for cap space and a protected first rounder?

1. YES

589 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. You can't find an elite scorer at $14 million right now much less the best shooting guard in the NBA.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I think it's Love, as I've seen in the past Harden and Love have a pretty good relationship.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm slightly disappointed in the value of the pick, which will likely be mid-teens. But, given the baggage we were dealing with -- the big cash outlay due, and Asik's trade demands -- I suppose paying for it in talent was inevitable.

If we want to turn around and use a mid-teens pick as an incentive for a Love trade or a big S&T, I don't see it moving the needle all that much. For the S&T, maybe it doesn't have to. It's probably enough to grease the wheels of a Lin trade.

Timing-wise, I bet this is the deal that's been alluded to for awhile, but Morey decided to leak it now because of Lebron's decision. He wants Lebron to know that clearing cap-space is more than just talk. But, it also makes me think there isn't anything good to leak about a Lin trade. If you wanted to show Lebron the Rockets are a serious suitor, you show that you can unload Lin. Everyone knows Asik is moveable.

And, the deal can't be done until the end of the moratorium, so I wonder if that means the deal's reversible. If all the FAs say no to us during the moratorium, do we still have to go through with trading Asik for useless capspace? Or, perhaps we can trade him for Andersen at that point?

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

There is no way that Morey values Melo more than Harden. Harden is younger and just as productive. And if Lebron wanted to come here, it would seem a bit ludicrous to demand that we get rid of Harden to bring in Carmelo.

More than anything, this Asik deal puts us back in the running for Love. Draft picks are always the most coveted assets in deals for guys like Love. I think Morey is just increasing his odds of landing one of the big four with this. And it's very possible that he could sign Lowry and then still complete a Parsons S&T for Love.

If Lebron were to commit to us, Morey has plenty to grease the wheels and get a Lin trade done. If it comes down to it he can offer any combination of this NOLA pick, our 2015 first rd pick, Jones, Daniels, and hell even Parsons alongside Lin if that's what it came down to. If you have Lebron James waiting at your doorstep, you're doing whatever it takes to open that door. Lin can easily be dealt if push comes to shove.

#664 DieHard Rocket, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  5. mario_v

mario_v Member

Exactly. Besides, harden is a much better fit, he's a great passer, where as melo likes to get himself going by going ISO.

Please Lebron, don't make us trade harden.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

In the Lowe Post podcast, Windhorst stated that the price to take on salary this year will be LOWER than what Golden State gave up to sign Iguodala last year. They dumped $30mil by spending 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders.

If the Rockets get a verbal commitment from LeBron, 25th pick+2015 Knicks 2nd rounder+DMo is absolutely the most I feel necessary to get rid of Lin. That would be equivalent of what the Warriors gave up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But the "Wes Unseld passes" reference could mean that Lebron may want to play with Kevin Love instead of Harden.

Bottom line to me: Whatever Lebron wants, Lebron pretty much gets.

8. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Trading a valuable to a team within your own division?? Unless we get Lebron or Bosh, I don't see how Love or Melo could make our team that much better.

Melo plays ZERO defense and is a ball hog. Love plays weak defense and is unproven in the playoffs.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

True.

Something about brotherhood & change if you have different brothers. Whatever that means, heh.

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

You do realize this is the NBA, right? Why does everyone keep brining up 'our division'..? So what?

11. Carl Herrera

I am pretty sure the "brotherhood" changing suggest that the free agent or trade transactions will involve some black players ("brothers") leaving the Rockets while other black players coming in. I see few transaction scenarios in which at least one black player isn't involved.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

[​IMG]

13. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

That's pretty good if it's a 1st between 4 to 19. That's more than what I expected :)

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asik's trade definitely opened the door for LeBron/Melo/Howard in Houston. NYK says yes to Melo sign-and-trade for Harden/J Lin/DoMo right?</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/statuses/482178249393324032">June 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>PS: NYK's pipe dream right now is that Chicago and Houston get into a sign-and-trade bidding war for Carmelo. And it's not unrealistic.</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/statuses/482178971254398976">June 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Well of course they accept it but its too much money going one way.. we would need barg and/or JR Smith and some other pieces

16. Carl Herrera

This trade makes zero sense even if assuming that HOU needs to get Melo in order to get Lebron.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Simmons is an assclown.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course, that assumes Lebron wants to join Melo in Houston to play with Dwight, and that if we lose Harden to make that happen, he's OK with that. I've been speculating for a long time about this scenario, but the odds are slim for everything falling into place. I don't want to lose Harden, and wouldn't trade him for Anthony unless it meant we were getting Lebron.

Interesting how national speculation burst out about James/Melo to Houston, Harden to the Knicks after it was talked about here. Coincidence? I think not.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Once upon a time, Bill Simmons would actually do things like "research" and put thought into things he say and write. It's why he was so good as a writer. He wrote about things that fans feel are smart but doesn't come off as pompous arrogant sports reporter.

Now he's a full blown sports reporter who just randomly spews stuff and too busy to actually put any thinking into his words.

20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

It's unrealistic that they would because it doesn't benefit Carmelo for either team to lose more assets to sign him if his reason for going there is to win championships..which is the only reason he is leaving NY.

They will just sign him outright, so there is not need to help NY out with a crazy sign and trade bidding war for Melo.

So yeah Bill Simmons, it is a pipe dream, a BS pipe dream.