1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets finalizing deal to send Omer Asik to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of Omer Asik for cap space and a protected first rounder?

1. YES

589 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same way you could have sex with two beautiful women....just as one example

2. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Seems more like they know Lin is the only other playmaker on our team. So might as well keep him if we don't get a big name FA.

3. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

A guy on CSN, (Adam Wexler) I believe said the pick will go to us if it falls into the 4-19 range.. that's a damn good pick, I would not want to give that up just to trade Lin,.. I would rather give up 25 in this year instead of next years NO pick..

4. Garner

Garner Member

Yes, Asik will start. If you didn't watch many Pelicans games (because you have a life and better things to do with your time) its easy to think Anthony Davis - C; the reality of it is however, is that the kid has a great outside shot and really suited to be a PF until he can add more strength. Even then, Davis as your Center is going to be a small ball line up.

To put it in perspective, the Pelicans most used lineup featured an Anthony Davis - Jason Smith combo.

Jason Smith averaged almost 27 minutes last year.

Additionally, when you consider the checkered injury history of both Davis and Anderson...the 96 minutes to cut up between them will plentiful.

[​IMG]

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I remember a couple of years ago the goal was to build around the Asik and Lin signings. Damn how things have turned.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Actually Davis is better at the power forward position than at the center position. Asik is a big time upgrade for them. And Anderson can actually play the 3 as well if they keep him.

7. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Asik and Anthony Davis is going to be sick. I'm very happy for both of them.

That interior D is not going to be fun for any team.

8. beybey

beybey Member

dumb question.. what happens if it does not fall 4-19? do we get nothing?

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't know the details yet but usually...

Gets pushed back to the next year, and so on until the pick does fall within that range.

10. Garner

Garner Member

Depends, if memory serves, we've seen scenarios in which the pick rolls X years and then the protection comes off. We have also seen the pick rolls X years and then a second rounder is conveyed instead.

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

OP: Thanks for posting this:). I woke up expecting something lowkey from weeks back, but this was a nice surprise. And, Woj again shows his credibility. He's a nice guy in person,too. Not like Stephen A...that's neither here nor there though....Remember the Cheese Doodles? haha
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "I'm trying to change the pattern but it's on loop
    Even an outcast in my own group
    What's it mean when ey'body standing next to you expects of you
    Everything that comes wit a spectacle?
    If everywhere I go, I just leave behind residue"-Budden.

I heard about New Orleans awhile ago, but boy did it not turn out with what Morey first wanted. My homeboy was almost ours awhile back, but his knee injury killed it. This summer is exciting for him and he has communicated to me about how this summer could change the course of the power in the NBA for the next 5 or so years. LBJ, Dwayne and Bosh were the game changers. Now, it's wide open.

Even these "smaller" market guys want to be on contending teams, and luckily for us, our GM is good at finding a supporting cast. (except Hasheem Thabeet...I'll never forgive Daryl for that one ;) )

Omer's trade was a clearing move for Morey (I'd imagine), but that was the best value he could get back, if you consider why he wants cap space. That's what I gather from Bima. My knowledge is limited to coaching and my relationships. I don't really get the cap so much. Bima should write book!

Anyway, from my conversation: ( To reiterate--Nope, I'm not on Doc's level. Or CyberX. I'm just a reg dude with diverse friends.)

From Break-ups to Make-ups. Makes your heart hurt bit that Big Omer is gone. What a hard worker, especially in practice, but he just didn't seem to have that punch anymore. We need guys that are ready to fight for the trophy and not the minutes.

But, next season will be full of unity. That I do know. (Gets me excited as hell!!) Brothers ask each other to come back home and work things out, right? Well, what is home if your family has cooled on you? Like Fat Joe said, "Jealous Ones Still Envy"...As I've said, don't undervalue the notion of Brotherhood. What keeps brotherhood going? It's arguable, among us as fans. In the NBA though, it comes down to a very very limited scope. That championship helps.

Like our very own Charles Barkley's quest for a ring, we've got a few guys chasing pavements RIGHT NOW to fight for their relationships. Adele was onto something...at what point do you move on or repair something? There are a few guys in that scenario.

Sounds too feminine? Nah...like I said, "HOME" is everything for players. But again, "home" has to be defined when you're a free bird. Still, you free your brothers if you can, or you find a new family that values little things, like some Wes Unseld passing. Beautiful if you ask me.

James had the family in OKC. He's building it here. Morey's trying to as well (obviously) but the brotherhood could change in a quick second if you have different brothers. In this whole equation, there is one guy that is the brother that satisfies Morey, the fans, the players (all of them) and our chances.

Admittedly, I have NO insight into LeBron, though he's on every team's radar. However, once he decides on his next family, things will move quickly.

Grabbing some coffee and heading to work. Will check in later.

Love ya'll, my REAL Rockets fans. You know, the ones who know about Kenny Thomas and the dog incident. Or games where Carlos Rogers was a leading scorer and Walt Williams "Mayweathered" Shawn Bradley. You are my people. :)

-Cod

#631 Codman, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    3 people like this.
  12. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I find the timing of this deal very intriguing. It seemed to happen just after Lebron had his meeting with Wade and Bosh.....Hmmmm......Its happening!!??

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone decipher Codman! ;)

Thanks Cod.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Codman..... Damn you. Not getting anything done now.

He hints at the end that the bandwagon is about to really fill up!

15. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I am disappointed, but great trade.

Now to see what Lin goes.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In 2013, Asik's only year as a full time starter he faced Dwight (LAL) 3 times.

Howard averaged 20pts, 14.3 reb, 3.7blks on 50% shooting in his 3 games vs Asik.

Asik averaged 8.67 pts, 10 reb, 0.33 blks and shot 61.9% FG%.

Also remember that in 2013 Dwight was still recovering from back surgery and was playing with an injured shoulder.

We'll be fine.

The trade for Asik isn't final yet and likely won't be completed until July 10th or later. If it makes sense, the Rockets could easily incorporate this trade into a 3 or 4 way deal for a 3rd star.

17. Convictedstupid

You don't have that ability in your code? Someone needs to update you.

1 person likes this.
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't know how to feel about this. I am neutral so far unless I can be convinced another way.

1. The good: We unload Asik which obviously clears cap space. We get decent value in return (?)

2. The bad: We let Asik go to a DIVISION rival where he will form one of the best front PF-C rotation in the NBA. A top 5 (may be top 3) PF with superstar potential in Anthony Davis together with a top 7 center who is a great defender and rebound eater looks ominous on paper.
    Value can be questioned too. Reason being NO have a solid team that can be a potential playoff team which means the pick could fall to 14 and below.

Would you trade Asik for say the 14th pick to a division rival? I don't know the strength of the 2015 draft yet.

Ideally I would have liked the Rockets to send him out East for a similar return.

Now that its happened, let's hope New Orleans sucks bad enough to get the 4th pick next season.

19. torocan

torocan Member

There's also the other thing that people forget about Morey. Morey prizes flexibility over all things.

IF you upgrade Lin, you're committing salary over a new contract. So, if you miss on Lebron, Melo, etc, you now have even less ammo going into the 2015 FA season (LMA, possibly KLove if Flip doesn't move him, and others).

It is literally ALL upside to hold onto Lin if we miss on our primary FA targets. Not only will Lin's contract increase in value (as we pay more of the $15M owed him), but he switches from being a net negative asset (paid above market value) to a net positive asset (paid market value or tradeable in S&T at market value).

Right now if we send out Lin today, we have to send out players and/or picks. If we send out Lin at the mid-season deadline, the cost to us is even smaller. And if we send out Lin on his new contract (market), then we can definitely get a pick back in a S&T in a pure salary dump.

Morey won't move Lin unless he needs to as he's passed the point of maximum declining value (1 year at $15M). From this point onward the longer he holds onto Lin, the more value Lin returns to the Rockets in terms of trades. And that's assuming he doesn't continue to improve and end up being re-signed at a reasonable contract.

1 person likes this.
  20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Is codman's post on the same line as Doc Rockets? IE: it's a riddle waiting to be figured out?

There's the continuing message of 'home' there.
    Does that mean Lowry coming back to Houston?
    Bosh back to Texas?

Far out I hate this.

I much prefer checking Clutchfans a good few hours after Doc Rocket/seemingly codman has posted - so I can just read everyone else's opinions.

There was a part in there with the Adele song that sounds a lot like LeBron is realising Miami is done no matter what they do.