1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have Lowry as 4th option after Lebron/Melo/Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the person doing this has adjusted the stats somewhat to fit his narrative as well, take a look

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/VORPe

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I believe that Pau could never match Dwight physically, so it's basically a moot point. The Lakers used Dwight completely wrong, and it was part of their demise. I don't see how it makes a bit of difference what Pau Gasol thinks since he has never had to take the physical abuse that Dwight takes down low on a night-in/night-out basis. Is Pau better in the post? Absolutely. Does Pau have the capability of taking over a game based on his pure physicality and athleticism? Absolutely not.

3. cyberx

cyberx Member

We are talking about basketball IQ. Not physicality or athleticism.

Let me ask you this.

5 seconds left in a game. You have to give it to a player in the post. Do you feed Dwight or Pau (In his prime)?

4. basketballholic

Don't blow your post count, cyberx. You're way beyond them with that apparently...although it's crystal clear.

But on Pau....what's your sense on him? I'm hearing that Memphis wants him. I've been hearing that for like a year now. Any sense that they are trying to push Zach out the door so they can sign Pau?

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Flipped. 5 seconds to go, Aldridge is on the block with a chance to get the ball, do you have Dwight guard him, or Pau?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then you are just talking about free throw shooting ability. You'd never really want to go to either of those guys with 5 seconds left but the only reason you'd go to prime Pau over Howard would be because of hack a Howard.

7. basketballholic

Pau has tons more basketball iq than Dwight does. You guys are just playing games trying to deny that fact. Ridiculous.

8. cyberx

cyberx Member

So Dwight can create a play on his own and outsmart his defender?

Anyways, it doesn't matter.

I hear Memphis LOVES Pau very much and he would like to play with his brother.

Also heard NYC with Phil (they are very close)

of course Dallas has been mentioned.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Kinda like Kobe was always pissed off at Pau

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

In the last 5 seconds maybe pau. But Dwight is going to put you in a better situation at the end of a game by being the better player.

Just like when people knocked the "clutchness" of Lebron. Who cares, you're going to win more games with the better player. Who cares about the last 5 seconds when you will more times be beating teams by a comfortable margin.

11. basketballholic

Thanks cyberx. I confirm that personally with my own contacts.

This is why I am saying that Memphis is secretly HOPING that Zach opts out so they can get Pau. And this is why I have said in the Love trade suggestions that if a team can help Minny clear cap to sign Pau that could be the secret to a deal for Love.

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol Pau has one of the highest IQs in the game.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Compared to a rookie... absolutely. Compared to Jerry Sloan, or Phil Jackson.. I'm sure he's not even close... but it really shouldn't matter.

I've played ball all of my life, and a lot of what Dwight does from a team defensive standpoint takes SOME pretty high level BBIQ & he's obviously coachable. On offense, the guy is a very underrated passer from the post,and had great chemistry in the Rockets P&R sets with Harden very early in the season which got better and better as the season progressed.

Its NBA basketball. Its not complicated, but you have to match the players strengths to the system you are running. Any NBA player can pickup any system that is a match for their skill set during a full season. Dwight showed that every other year he played in the NBA other than the year with the Lakers he can pickup the system they are running.

Whether he's got Popovich, Nash, Stockton, or Phil Jackson knowledge of the game is irrelevant. In the NBA you can't expect super athletes to also be super basketball brainiacs. You have to be the one who is responsible for putting your players in a position to succeed.

Like I said before... I don't doubt that Pau doesn't want to revisit the twin towers with Dwight again, but I do think if he's using Dwight's BBIQ as a reason why they didn't work out before, I personally just think that's a bunch of crap. I would guess that it would have more to do with trusting that the Rockets could put a system together that works more than anything. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that the Lakers did not put them all in the best position to succeed with a system that fits everyones skill set.

1 person likes this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Is your contact the WANTP fan club?

1 person likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Stacking the deck I see. You and I both know the obvious answer to that. I fail to see the point you're trying to make though. Is Dwight's IQ getting in the way of the Rockets trying to acquire a third star? Is his IQ really a sticking point with other players? Defensively, Dwight absolutely blows Pau out of the water, but how come that's not being brought up here? Why would you need Dwight's post game at all if you have Carmelo, or LeBron? Neither one of their games is predicated on having a big with an elite post game.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I give it to Dwight in his prime (Orlando).

17. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

we only get second rate stars (harden/dwight)...lebron wade melo love would never come here

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Despite his argument being pretty dumb, he was just talking about Pau with Dwight, that was it. And it's a moot point since with their playing styles, they would struggle to co exist even if both of them had Larry Bird level of basketball iq, that and that Gasol couldn't guard a rock anymore.

#258 Aleron, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What are we really judging BBIQ on anyways? Has anyone on here been in a huddle with both of them, ran them through offseason drills, or tried to draw up a play for either of them?

Or are we making this judgement based on demeanor on the court, their speech, professionalism, and seriousness?

1 person likes this.
  20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Basketballholic there you go with the cheap shot. Lol come on man. What do you mean by , beyond them?

Cyberx of course you go to Pau in his prime. But we are in the future and D12 play this post season was great. I didn't see any issue with his basketball IQ.