1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo vs LeBron Equal Cost

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rcketsfan1, Jun 24, 2014.

?

Carmelo or LeBron at Equal Cost:

Poll closed Jun 27, 2014.
  1. Carmelo

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. LeBron

108 vote(s)
    93.9%
  1. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

If Carmelo can play like he did at Syracuse . . . as a play maker and 3 point shooter . . .

. . . and LBJ plays like 260 pound cannonball with a sick handle . . .

I choose . . .

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't choose the college player.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

so one of the GOAT in his prime or a guy who needs to play like he did 10 years ago?

hmmm

4. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

As an overall player I don't know how anybody can pick Melo over LeBron. But even if you consider the team situation Camelo to the Bulls and LeBron to the Rockets are just perfect fits.
    It just makes so much sense for both players when you consider their individual strengths and the existing weakness as well as the current make up of each team.

Carmelo's greatest strength is his scoring ability especially from mid range but he has improved his 3pt shooting a great deal as well. This works well for a team that needs scoring in the worst way and they have unselfish players that will gladly pass Melo the ball so he doesn't have to worry about touches.

One of Carmelo's greatest weaknesses is on the defensive end where he just is terrible. However, the team defense that Chicago plays will do wonders to cover up for Melo. Also, Jimmy Butler in the backcourt and Noah in the front court are exceptionally good fits alongside Anthony. Another weakness of Carmelo's game is that he dominates the ball and doesn't get enough assists for a player of his caliber(selfish). But the Bulls 2 all-stars in Noah and Rose(of course when healthy) that are team first guys and very willing to pass so that Carmelo gets his touches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rockets' biggest weaknesses are at point guard and power forward and no one player in the history of the nba is suited to help in both those areas.

One of LeBron's strengths is how good a passer he is and his willingness to pass the ball. This is a trait that can't be overlooked on a team with 2 all star starting caliber players that need their touches. I think he would gladly take a small hit in his scoring numbers and be willing to put his energy into other things like getting assists and rebounds.

Assuming the Rockets bring back Chandler to play SF then LeBron can easily start at PF as he has in Miami. It gives Howard his space down low without sacrificing rebounding and adds a terrific ball handler to relieve some of Beverly's point guard responsibilities.

Finally, another one of the Rockets' major weaknesses is defense partly because they are lacking in skill and partly because they are lacking in effort on that end. LeBron can instantaneously fix all of that. Remember that any deal for a 3rd star would require Asik is traded and there goes one of the few really good defenders on the team. On one hand simply not having the responsibility of carrying the entire offensive load frees him up to be the elite defender that he was just a season ago. But maybe just as important is that he might be the one guy that can convince Harden to play halfway decent defense. It is my opinion that if Carmelo were to come to Houston Harden would consider themselves as equals and neither will make the other player any better. On the other hand, there is no way Harden can think of himself on the same level as LeBron and Harden will be forced to fall in line under LeBron's leadership.

The good news is this should all be over in 3 weeks at the latest. The next domino that must fall is LeBron opting out of his contract with Miami and becoming an unrestricted free agent. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope that the right decision is as clear to LeBron and Carmelo as it to us.

#4 Horry33, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's weird, but I get a good feeling about Carmelo.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Horry wore 25! Is this an Horry/Otis thing?

7. Mr. Clutch

Kareem Jackson

8. Horry33

No. It's a Horry/Pippen thing. I grew up in Chicago and was a huge Scottie Pippen fan.

I've blocked out any memory of him when he played in Houston.

9. Mr. Clutch

What was so bad about Otis?

10. Horry33

The first domino I mentioned has fallen. Now Rockets need to set up meetings with LeBron and Carmelo seperately. I think it's going to be interesting how the front office will approach both free agents. There's no question that LeBron is who is the #1 target but you don't Carmelo feel like he is just a fall back option.

11. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Is this really a thread

12. amak316

amak316 Member

I feel like this thread is to filter out people too dumb to be on this forum so clutch can throw down the banhammer.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Wow such a tough decision here folks. I wouldn't want either. I would have to go with Von Wafer.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Obviously Jordan.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

Youre not alone. I think Carmelo could fit much better than LeBron, and we could get him at lower price cause it's pretty much championship team and he wants a ring. ;)

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Between the two of them, Carmelo has demonstrated he values money over winning while Lebron has done the opposite.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Carmelo . .. . . seems like TMAC 2.0
    All Skill . . No Will

Rocket River

18. Normalus

Normalus Member

Maybe it's time to grow up? Who knows

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Two words: De-fense!

20. davidio840