1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Why wouldn't we trade Asik to....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Jun 21, 2014.

1. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

Sixers for number 10?

I think it makes absolute sense for both teams.

We free up the cash and get a good pick (the pick should cost less then parsons)

then flip the number 10 for Aaron Afflalo (@ 7 Mil) and let parsons walk (yes i said let him walk) we would block bulls and get a solid defender and three point shooter

Trade Lin and 25th pick to free up more cash

sign Carmelo

Howard
    Melo
    Afflalo (with Melo parsons becomes expendable)
    Harden
    Bev

2. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Yeah, let's just let parsons walk for nothing instead of taking his option for peanuts and trading him or using him as a 6th man. You didn't think this out very well. And we aren't getting a top 10 draft pick for a $15m backup center.

1 person likes this.
  3. ipa

ipa Member

I don't think either that Asik is worth the 10th pick, but to call him a backup center, is plain stupid!

4. slickricky

we are not letting him walk for nothing... Afflalo will cost less and does what we need. Parsons (who correct me if i am wrong, but his option was already declined) defense is way over rated and his 3Pt shot is way too streaky and fades towards the end of the season. I would honestly say Asik is a top 5 center in this league behind Dwight, Noah, and you can name two others who you think are better.

I only say let him walk if we are able to sign Anthony

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

So Asik and Parsons and the #10 pick for Affalo? Sounds like a good deal.

6. mesta

mesta Member

Rockets already declined his option, which means parsons is no longer paid with peanuts.the problem with the proposed trade is that sixers are banking on noel's ability to fully recover

7. slickricky

More like Asik/Lin/Parsons/25th for Afflalo and Melo... yes that is correct

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

First let me respond be saying, I would love to have Arron Afflalo. I think he is absolutely tremendous and I would be happy to parlay Omer Asik into him. I have just a few issues with your post however.

1. Do you really think the 76ers would trade the number 10 pick for Asik? I don't. More than likely Asik will end up being better than the number 10 pick in the draft, of that we can agree. But, there is always the chance (particularly in a deep draft) that you can acquire a player that is truly special. 76ers are in total rebuild mode and I just don't see them trading that pick for Asik.

Having said that, I do think there is a good chance that the number 10 pick could get Afflalo, but I'm not sure it's a given.

2. What does any of this have to do with Chandler Parsons? And for the record the Rockets can keep Chandler for for $964,750 next season. All they have to do is pick up his option. The number 10 pick in the draft will cost you $1,998,200 next season so to correct you; the number 10 pick is more expensive than Chandler unless the team decides to give him a new contract this season, which they have not decided to do yet.

Regardless, why would you just let Chandler walk? If you acquire Afflalo why not just keep both of them?

3. At 6'5" do you really want Afflalo playing small forward full time? I think him and James would be great on the floor together either going small but I don't think I want a full time 6'5" small forward on the team.

Come up with a realistic way to parlay Asik into Afflalo and I would be all over it.

9. slickricky

Noel is not a center that is why this is perfect for the 76ers

Asik
    Noel
    ???
    Exum
    MCW

That is not a bad core in the east

10. crash5179

No they haven't

11. slickricky

Thanks for you post... I'm I wrong that we already declined Parsons option?

12. crash5179

Parsons option has not been declined yet. In your scenario Parsons is not used to acquire Afflalo so by declining his option and letting him walk, you are letting him go for nothing.

13. crash5179

Parsons option has not been declined.

14. slickricky

15. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

You don't need to say it 3 times...

16. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

17. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

"will decline" as in on June 30th the last day to decide on the option; probably only if we have a legit shot at Melo/LeBron. Otherwise I say we pick it up and try our luck in free agency next year (if we sign Parsons long term this year, we will have no cap room to sign a 3rd star next offseason if we strike out this year)

18. Trip

Trip Member

Philly trying to set up for the future will not be trading a lottery pick for one year of Asik at $15 mil. What's he gonna do, help them to five more wins and screwing up their pick next year? If Hinkie wants Asik he can just wait til next summer and sign him outright.

19. slickricky

They are going to decline the option... it gives them all the flexibility when negotiating with Lebron and Melo. If Parsons is okay with makes Afflalo money then I am all for keeping him if we wants more I say we make this move

20. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

the reason they haven't done it yet is because if LBJ/Melo opt-in, and they have no other options, they will pick-up his option in order to go after a 3rd star next summer. If we strike out on the stars this year, then resign parsons long term, we will have no ability to get a 3rd star next season.