1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redskins lose Trademark for Disparaging Name

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 18, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's only a matter of time before DC drops the "Redskins" name. Snyder might keep on saying he will never change the name but if they are losing legal protections and the fight starts costing him and the NFL money it will be change.
    http://www.newser.com/story/188643/...rt&utm_medium=clearchannel&utm_campaign=story

Redskins Lose Trademark for 'Disparaging' Name

(Newser) – Under federal law, trademarks can't "disparage" individuals—and on those grounds, the US Patent and Trademark Office has withdrawn the Washington Redskins' trademark registration, the Washington Post reports. The office says the six trademarks that included the name "were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered." Plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse called the decision "a great victory for Native Americans and for all Americans," ThinkProgress reports.

As evidence that the name is a slur, attorneys say they used "dictionary definitions and other reference works, newspaper clippings, movie clips, scholarly articles, expert linguist testimony, and evidence of the historic opposition by Native American groups." Notes Blackhorse: "We filed our petition eight years ago, and it has been a tough battle ever since. I hope this ruling brings us a step closer to that inevitable day when the name of the Washington football team will be changed." The team's name has taken a lot of heat lately.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As long as they continue to sell out the stadium and get all that tv money, they will never lose money.

3. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

unless all their sponsors starts pulling out due to all the negative outrage...

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Tempest in a Teapot: I hope the owner ignores the nonsense. I love the logo, the colors, and the uniforms. Maybe the best in the league. Most Native Americans could care less.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Which tribe are you a member of?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Proud Ass

7. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

His best friend is Native American!

8. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

What a p***y country this has become.

9. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

I take real issue with the government using non-partisan administrative divisions to try to push forward their political agendas. This is not why the patent office is set up and gets into a dangerous game of using government's power inappropriately. Using the IRS to punish political opponents is a similar abuse.

I can't imagine this issue ranks high on the list of priorities for this country right now.

1 person likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, it was so much better when racism was super cool. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  11. MadMax

The patent/trademark office was the forum for the dispute...a lawsuit brought by private citizens challenging the name because it was/is derogatory. The government didn't go out on their own and do this.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I do not believe people call any team or any person with a "derogatory" or non PC term. :eek: It's just not meant in that way. It might be racist when used in that manner, but I don't think that's what the Washington, DC team is trying or doing.

Do you agree that the Patent Office and the government, overall, should be meddling into this NFL business when anyone complains (racism is serious business, not to make it any less important, I mean)? :confused:

13. Nook

Nook Member

This isn't the first time the Redskins lost their trademark. Years ago they lost it, and had to go through the court system to get it back.

14. MadMax

I don't care how they mean it. You shouldn't be able to trademark and receive government protection for racial slurs, regardless.

And the Patent Office isn't interfering in anything. They were the forum for the dispute...a private group brought a complaint.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm... who determines what is and is not a slur?

Agreed... but it is still fodder for right wing radio and Fox News.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

is trick azz busta trademarked?

1 person likes this.
  17. MadMax

The court or administrative office that's asked to make the decision.

Which I make a habit of ignoring.

18. MadMax

WINNER!!

19. Manos

Manos Member

That means that anyone who finds any name offensive can throw a fit, which in turn gives an "administrative office" the power to take away the trademark rights of a business owner. Sorry but that's BS. If you don't like the name don't go there, don't purchase their gear, don't by tickets, etc. Just because the guy down the street is offended, I may not be. Who appoints this administrative office? What sort of outside pressure is put on them to decide one way or the other? This sort of thing sets a terrible precedent IMO.

20. Major

Major Member

Of course the Patent/Trademark Office should be involved when someone challenges the legality of a patent or trademark. Who else would be? :confused:

Well then your problem is with the long-standing IP law that says offensive names can't be trademarked. This is not something new.

The PTO is administered by the Executive Department. It's rulings can be challenged in the Judiciary.