1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Bosh Opts Out, Should He Be Our #1 Priority?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Jun 16, 2014.

1. highlander3128

I would like to add Melo to this team, but not with Harden here. They simply can't co-exist. It's either Melo/Bosh or Harden/Bosh to me. So yes, get Bosh first and see how things go.

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

How would that be settling goals low? Bosh is still a quality player and can still contribute to a championship. We would be lucky to get Bosh because it does solve a lot of issues. LeBron would be a Godsend. Again, I don't think we are getting Love, at least not this offseason. And between Melo and Bosh, I rather have Bosh.

First, Bosh is used to being the third guy on the team. He won't need the touches players like Melo or Love will need. As the past 4 years have shown, Bosh will happily take a back seat if it means that the team is winning. But that doesn't mean Bosh isn't important. I love how Bosh is often pegged as the third wheel but the Heat would not have won their rings without Bosh. After LeBron, Bosh was their second most important player.

Second, he gets to play with Dwight Howard and vice versa. I don't think Wade and LeBron were the best fits for Bosh. They succeeded, but it was more of LeBron's (and Mike Miller/Ray Allen) greatness rather than the Big 3 playing well together. I think Bosh would excel playing next to a dominate center. Dwight Howard and James Harden demands so much attention that Bosh will get open shots like crazy.

Third, I don't expect him to sign for his absolute max. This is key as it then makes sense to match a Parson's deal. Tying up around 30 million on small forwards like the Rockets would be doing if they signed Melo (20 million) and kept Parsons (10 million) would not be the best move I think. Who knows if a lineup of Beverley, Harden, Parsons, Melo and Howard even works. At least a lineup of Beverley, Harden, Parsons, Bosh and Howard makes sense on both ends of the floor.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Bosh is fine as a fall back option but I would far rather Anthony. Bosh is a flake that can disappear and really is too passive. With Anthony he won't settle with a 1-5 night from the floor with 2 rebounds.

4. thisiscaketown

He would obviously be the Rockets' best option. Out of him, Carmelo Anthony, and Kevin Love, he's the best defender and can defend players outside the paint, which is huge with the NBA using more stretch 4's. He has a versatile offensive game and can stretch the floor, which Dwight Howard absolutely needs in order to flourish on the offensive end. People forget that Bosh is being used as a Center when he's really a Power Forward, and they **** on him because he's not getting the stats that he used to when he's the Heat's third option on offense.

5. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Those are Bosh's 3-point FG %'s for the last 4 years. Unless he goes back to playing on the inside he NOT a good fit for the Rockets. And I doubt very seriously whether he would consider making a change since the Rockets have Howard in the middle. What the Rockets need are guys that can defend and shoot the 3... like PJ Tucker or Boris Diaw. Actually, if I were Morey I'd be targeting Diaw. Not only can he defend and shoot from outside but he's a solid passer and can play inside.

6. deshen

deshen Member

What Bosh can provide to this team beside his big mouth.

7. delishman

delishman Member

This +100.

8. delishman

delishman Member

Diaw screams system. He would scare me outside of SA. Weight and motivation included.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Only if they decide to open up a Jurassic Park in Houston

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/hAwhuvK7I0g/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#29 REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Love, Melo, Bosh, and Millsap. In that order. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do NOT want Lebron James here! He is the best player in the world, absolutely. But no, it wouldn't be fair and we would be the super team that everyone resented in Miami except ten times more dominant. I want home-grown champions, not a recent superstar champion who's coattails we can ride. I want OUR players to win, I don't want to be just another stop on Lebron's ring-chasing legacy. I know people will largely disagree, but I'm sure there are others who have the same sentiments as me.

11. treeman

treeman Member

This.I am stoked that for the third offseason in a row we are real players to get major talent. This is how franchises are built.

I think our chances are VERY good at landing one of those guys this offseason, and I would be tickled pink to get any one of them.

12. treeman

treeman Member

I would hit you in the ear with a small stick right now if I could. Not enough to really hurt, but just enough to sting a bit and hopefully knock the stupid out of you.

If you get an opportunity to get Lebron James, you take it. You sell the farm. And you can TOTALLY live with whatever shame you incur in getting him because you will have rings on your fingers that no one can ever take away. :rolleyes:

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, you even rename the Arena after him if you have to. James Harden and LeBron James would be sick... Both drawing single coverage.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Hakeem went to college in Houston and won rings with us, a true Rocket if there ever was one. Jordan's Bulls, Russell's Celtics, Kobe's Lakers, Duncan's Spurs, etc. are all amazing because the teams won rings with the same foundation for years...I'm sorry but this is the honorable way to win and it would leave a bad taste in my mouth to add Lebron. Maybe I would get fired as a GM but the whole thrill I get from being a ROckets fan is fighting to win the championship...not the sure thing from bringing Lebron "The Decision" James here. Would he be remembered as Cleveland's Lebron? Miami's Lebron? Houston's Lebron? His legacy as an individual would be lauded more than our success as a team. That's all I'm saying.

15. treeman

treeman Member

Leave the honor to the historians to parse out. I want to see the Rockets win a championship, and I don't care if they have to hire a mercenary to do it.

Because they are ALL mercenaries when it comes down to it. None of them play for free.

16. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Fair enough. Like I said, he's the best player in the world and we would surely win championships...I would just feel better winning them with another star. I feel that with the right star-quality PF (or even Melo the swingman) we could get it done. Lol but I certainly see the appeal of Lebron!

17. treeman

treeman Member

We love to get attached to stars. Hakeem is my all-time fav just because of what he did. I love Yao too and wish we could have seen how it would have played out had he managed to keep his feet healthy. Tmac had so much promise - he was simply awesome to watch in his prime. Even Stevie was fun for a while.

We love our franchise players. We want them to stay their whole careers like Duncan. But the reality is that they move around, it's part of the business. Even Hakeem got traded in the twilight years. But we still remember him for what he did.

If we can get any of these guys mentioned, and we can win a championship with them, they will all be remembered as franchise stars. Even if they were rentals in reality - which all of them are.

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Then again, I wasn't a fan of Dwight until the whole sweepstakes began. Opinions can change quickly when a superstar comes knocking on the door. I love the guy now

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How wouldn't it be setting goals low? Bosh might be a decent 3rd or 4th option but when you are by far the best FA destination out there and the best player in the league is potentially a FA why would you set your #1 priority to be a 4th option?

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

I can't think of very many "more better" reasons why we should target Bosh. Bosh would be good for our team. I like his defense and outside shot. I think a frontcourt of him and Howard would be pretty good, I'm not denying that. I just think he has been overpaid in Miami, and would be overpaid here as well. He hasn't been an elite PF in years.