1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congressman John Culberson blocks federal funding for rail on richmond and post oak FOREVER

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Jan 28, 2014.

1. da1

da1 Member

Not sure hopefully it cancels out culberson's words

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Hilarious response. So you concede that it won't help traffic congestion, and then you say that you want a very expensive street-grade train for you to take trips to the Galleria on the weekends. That's amazing logic.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

At some point you need to encourage people to NOT use a car. Our roadway infrastructure, especially inside the loop, is completely maxed out. Light rail won't in and of itself completely alleviate traffic congestion but it can by an integral part of the solution.

The more urban parts of houston are approaching a real tipping point... People are moving here en mass, at some point you have to begin addressing this city's reliance on the automobile. Your idea of continuing with the status quo is laughable.

And f@ck you for making me waste my time responding to you. Jesus you're such a beatdown.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

You're talking yourself in a circle. You just told me that anybody who says this light rail will relieve traffic congestion "doesn't know sh**", and then you proceed to talk about how the roadway infrastructure is maxed out and light rail is "an integral part of the solution". You didn't provide any idea what this magical "solution" is, but you claimed that light rail was an integral part of it.

We need to get people out of the simplistic mode of thinking that a train is the panacea that will solve Houston's problems. We need to think deeper on the topic, not default to a Northeast US or European one-size-fits-all solution that's not right for a city like Houston.

5. Dubious

Dubious Member

Think deep Texx, give us your solution.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I've long advocated a world-class bus rapid transit / park and ride, HOV/HOT with congestion pricing system. Far more economical than trying to force rail upon a sprawling city that was built up after the car-era took hold.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

so spend money on that bus rapid transit system, with limited upside, and then STILL have to eventually move to a different alternative in the future when bus rapid transit is not enough anymore for the city.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

logic fail on your part

how exactly do you know BRT's limit, and when it will be reached? Answer: you don't.

Also, if you would read carefully, BRT was only a piece of my proposed solution.

9. da1

da1 Member

I've been to cities with maxed out BRT. It's a bad situation

10. bumperboy1

bumperboy1 Rookie

Politicians are all puppets

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

[​IMG]

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's a shame, because a couple of rail lines in the right areas would improve transportation in Houston greatly. Although I must say I'd much prefer heavy rail over the current light rail proposal.

BRT is good as well, but historically ridership doesn't even come close to rail and it cost more to operate on a per passenger basis.

I think a few trunk rail lines combined with local and BRT bus lines feeding into those high capacity lines is the best solution for Houston. Something similar to Washington DC.

13. texanskan

texanskan Member

We should just designate the lost concrete to rapid bus lanes it would be much cheaper and it would get you there just as quick.

There would still be platforms just no train tracks

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty interesting article on the differences between DART and METRO rail lines

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...on-follow-different-paths-on-rail-5567814.php

15. Refman

Refman Member

You post a response that contains no alternatives or analysis and then you accuse others of simplistic thinking. That is HILARIOUS!

16. da1

da1 Member

You've never been to Leon Mexico or Istanbul or bogota I'm sure

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe not forever -
    http://www.chron.com/news/transport...son-announce-agreement-on-transit-6270486.php

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

We don't want to turn into SF

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I'd love for the hillcroft blue line through west u to be built

20. Raven

Raven Member

What does that mean?