1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Spurs winning this way one of the best things that could happen for basketball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Jun 12, 2014.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Imagine if the Spurs didn't exist. The top NBA teams would be the Heat, OKC, and the LA Clippers. The first is known for "stacking" for rings. The second has been reduced to two star Hero ball. And the third is known for flashy dunks and flop city. All three whine to the refs incessantly and play games with the whistle game like no other.

Yes Spurs haters will point and claim that sometimes they are guilty floppers/whistle biters in the game but for the most part, we haven't seen that side of them in the playoffs. They have done it by far less than the Heat and the Clippers.

During the broadcast, I believe it was Mark Jackson who said "The Spurs have cornered the market on pure-hearted players." I play basketball weekly with various groups/leagues and you hear stuff like "Oh yeah baby! Spurs basketball!" after a nice series of passes that leads to an easy layup. When a guy says he's hoping the Heat win, everyone starts chuckling and shaking their heads. What's interesting is it's not just the older guys too but the kids still in school saying it too. Unselfish, humility, respect for your coach/teammates, thinking man's, team basketball. Less showboating, less whistle biting, less hero ball.

If the Spurs couldn't compete after last year, I think in many people's minds it wouldn't validate the Spurs singular and unique approach to basketball in this modern NBA era. The Spurs winning it this way is good for basketball.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Space City

not many teams ca do what the spurs can do tho?

how many teams have THE GOAT head coach, and a great front office, and aging but great players?

3. supdudes

supdudes Member

The spurs play team ball even better than all the current football teams, with the exception of Germany.

That's how good their teamwork is.

4. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I wish every team plays like this so that we can watch basketball the strategic and athletic game instead of basketball the celebrity game.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You forget that a strong idea formed inside Lebron's head when he faced the Spurs in the Finals with the Cavs.

6. VBG

VBG Member

I think the NBA is more interesting when Lebron loses.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is nothing groundbreaking. The Spurs played this European brand of basketball with American players for some years.

It is all about the team, all about ball movement and off the ball movement, all about shooting, team defense.

They have someone who is worlds better than a McHale to execute it.

They can plug in any role player and they look like stars in games and in other games one of the Big Three closes it out for them.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love team basketball. It is totally old school. It is "system" over "stars." The opposite of "hero" ball.

1 person likes this.
  9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

its just fantastic basketball to watch.

10. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I absolutely love the Spurs brand of basketball. Going to show my kids tapes of this series one day. This is the best thing thats happened in basketball since the invention of the three point line.

11. Nieto

Nieto Member

Poetry in motion.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would have to disagree, amazing team play like what the Spurs are doing is beautiful, but let's not lie individual performances are still amazing. When we recall iconic moments from league history its mostly about individual performances.

13. RedRedemption

Ironically, Popovich hates threes. He incorporates them into his system because he has to, but I'm pretty sure he wants to do away with it.

14. VBG

VBG Member

What? I think you've gotten Pop and Phil Jackson confused.

15. RedRedemption

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/8/5790178/gregg-popovich-threes-nba-finals-notebook-heat-vs-spurs

1 person likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Spurs suck. And this circle jerk is gross.

17. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

no **** san antonio

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Why? It's not in the Rockets forum, it's in the NBA. Boo ****ing hoo.

19. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

love the spurs because it goes to show, heart, teamwork, chemistry and a great coach + disciplined talented players go a long way. it's just stacking stars...granted the spurs do have HOF coach, and 3 guys, but their veteran experience and teamwork, just incredible.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Another point is that perhaps this will further increase parity in the NBA. Organizations will strive harder to build a stronger team rather than slumming it until they get one or more "franchise players."