1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Europe Weekend Travel!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pringles, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

I had a thread in the D&D section about going to Morocco this weekend. Short story short, my friend bailed on me. :rolleyes:

So right now I'm in Barcelona interning (been here for 3 weeks now), and I still want to travel this weekend. Obviously, ticket prices are all up, so Eastern Europe seems to be out of the option. (Really wanted to go to Poland.... but 400 dollar airline tickets....)

This will be a solo trip, where should I go?

I'm thinking:

Portugal (Libson?)
    Berlin
    Granada

I just came back from Paris this past weekend. I am kinda in party mode, but I love sight seeing too, so wouldn't mind either way. Also, I already have tickets to Amsterdam later this month.

Any recommendations on where to go for this weekend? Thanks in advance.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Prague. You're welcome.

4. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Berlin has very nice history to it, esp splitting the East and West Berlin.

Also, you could consider trains? I took a train from Amsterdam to Prague, we were 4 people so we could get a compartment to ourselves, so I'm not sure how you'd feel about solo overnight trains, but they should generally be cheaper than airlines. But 500 seems way too much, Vueling surely doesn't charge that much?

6. BleedsRocketRed

Hey man, Poland is an amazing country. (I myself visited 10+ times for family) Did you check airlines like EasyJet, AirBerlin, Whizzair or Ryanair? They generally have cheap fares compares to the legacy EU carries like British, Iberia, Lufthansa...etc. It's totally no frills, but it gets you there for decent prices.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I have to travel to Africa for work here and there. The last time I went, I didn't do anything but this time in July.. I'll be just spending the weekend in Europe. Flight comes into Paris and I have the weekend (Fri-Mon) to chill this time. I'm doing 11 days or so in late September with the wifey but this time, it will be solo.

Amsterdam is what I'm leaning towards. Quick 3 hour train ride. Am I making a solid decision? Will rep.

#7 sammy, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes. Paris is a **** hole with rude people all around. Amsterdam is fun and the people are nice.

1 person likes this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Partying solo..this should be interesting. Thanks, man.

I know you go to Spain...Barcelona is one of the cities that I'll be visiting on the next trip. More fun than Madrid? Don't wanna do both so I can move on to other countries.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I go quite a bit. Madrid is fun too. Lots of beautiful architecture and amazing restaurants. Believe it or not there are more than a few rude people in BCN too. Lots of drunk/rude tourist (mainly British) have made folks a little annoyed.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

I took a taxi ride from the club one night, and the taxi driver was telling us, "**** America." One of the most obnoxious thing I've experienced here at Barcelona.

Anyways, a co-worker was telling me a weekend would not be enough to visit Berlin, so I might as well just visit other parts of Spain like Granada or go to Lisbon in Portugal.... Is this a valid concern?

Would one weekend in Berlin be a waste?

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You can do a lot in one weekend, kinda makes no sense to say it's a waste. There's no big city in the world where you can see everything in one day, so just choose the one which interests you the most and try to visit as much sights as possible.

Even one day in Berlin can be awesome imo, have been there many times and was never disappointed.

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Got yeah.

Well I got the plane tickets and the apartment I want to stay at tomorrow. But before I confirm, I'm trying to make my itinerary.

Any specific places that is a must-go?

And how is the night life? If I sight see all day, I probably won't go out due to exhaustion..., but you never know.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

berlin is bad-ass! i dont see how spending a weekend there would be a waste. you could make a weekend out of just seeing stuff in the city-center...i was there for a week and had a blast.

i was hoping you were going to marrakesh though so you could report back...im going to spain in september and am thinking about 'sidelining' my way over there for a few days.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lots of things to consider, I don't know what your interests are.

In general, look at this site and pick out some you like:

http://www.berlin-travel-sightseeing.com/en/index.html

My favourites are:

Tiergarten (a zoo within a huge park area, you could also go to the Zoological Garden if you want to see more animals in a smaller area, also has an Aquarium next to it.)

Charlottenburg Palace and Park

Museum Island - Five different museums, mainly focussing on arts and ancient history

Brandenburg Gate

East Side Gallery (essentially 1.3km of Berlin Wall covered in art)

KaDeWe (huge shopping mall, lots of exotic and luxury articles)

Friedrichstraße (huge shopping mile with every store and brand you can imagine, nice cafes as well)

Kurfürstendamm (see Friedrichstraße, lots of stores, cafes, etc.)

Potsdamer Platz (shopping, entertainment, restaurants)

German Museum of Technology (if you're into technological history, engines, cars, locomotives, etc.)

Gardens of the World (nine differently themed gardens, e.g. Chinese Garden, Italian Garden, etc)

Botanic Garden

Fernsehturm/TV Tower (highest buliding in Berlin and beautiful view over the city, also a restaurant inside)

Regarding nightlife, no real idea as I've mostly been there during day time or Christmas holiday nights.

But you'll finds lots of clubs on the site I mentioned and online.

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I went to Marrakech last December. Awesome place. Definitely venture out to the Atlas Mountains while you're there. I took a shared taxi from Marrakech to about an hour outside the city (cost was approximately $2), transferred to a shared minibus for half an hour, and then trekked around a series of villages in and around the Mountains (Google Imlil, and you should be able to get more info).

I flew from the US to Paris on a one-way award ticket, found a cheap flight to Marrakech from Paris, another low-cost carrier from Marrakech to Barcelona, and then an award ticket from Barcelona back to the US.

Highly recommend it.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Definitely go to Munich over Berlin. Not even a question.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There are more things to see in Berlin and it's a much bigger city with more vibe. Also, Munich is one of the most expensive cities in Europe and he won't have much fun spedning tons of money for less than he could get in Berlin.

Like I said, way less sightseeing in Munich.

19. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Berlin is too liberal for bigtexxx.