1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there veterans that can help the maturation process?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Jun 11, 2014.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I agree with many posters that the maturation of the Rockets will take time. I will guess these posters have had experience in team building. I worked in a serial startup environment and regardless of capital or resource pull, you learn it takes time to get a team running like an fine-tuned engine. This core, which by all NBA standards is a top level core, has only been together one season. That is a short time.

What we can see is only the surface level. We don't know if McHale or the players or the assistants or something else [big booty, barely legal booty] is impeding faster growth. But we do know that regardless of the board's perception of coach McHale, the Rockets have chosen to stand by him. A common trend in the NBA is to get a player coach and let the assistants handle the X and O's. That's indicative of one thing - how difficult bridging the disconnect between players and coaches on a personal and character level can be.

There's one elephant about the Rockets roster/staff that continues to stick out. There's no character veterans. This has been brought up many times "we need a veteran" threads. Do you guys remember what a young Tony Parker and Manu were like? From 1998-2005, the Spurs had the players Steve Kerr, Mario Ellie, Sean Elliot, David Robinson, Danny Ferry, Terry Porter, Kevin Willis, Brent Barry, Horry, and Mengke Bateer :)eek:). How many of these guys went on to become coaches or staff? One of the most impactive, forward-looking things the Rockets can do with the core and coach they have decided to go with is get some character veterans aboard. Maybe it's been overlooked, as it's value analytics and asset trading can't measure.

2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think Shawn Marion can help the maturation process. He has won an NBA finals. He has been an all star, role player, lockdown defender, top 10 3pt shooter, and etc. He can be a good on the floor leader.

Also, Dirk would be a very good fit.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Granted not all of these may be veteran leaders in the sense that you are talking about, but here are partial MLE and Vet minimum candidates that are veterans and that interest me and hopefully wouldn't require a full MLE, long-term deal:

PG Kirk Hinrich
    PG Greveis Vasquez
    SF Shawn Marion
    SF CJ Miles
    SF Caron Butler
    SF John Salmons
    SF PJ Tucker
    PF/C Elton Brand
    PF Boris Diaw
    C Spencer Hawes

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like marion. He's still productive an is playing at a good level.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

That would be a very solid move. Would create some very flexible lineups too. I will never stop cringing when he shoots though.

7. bmd

bmd Member

I agree with adding veterans. The Rockets shouldn't be adding young players with potential at this point. They should be in win now mode. Add vets to help the development of the young talent already on the team.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

To show players how to retire?

10. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Exactly

11. CertifiedTroll

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol Nash is one of the all time greats, he has a exceptional understanding of the game. He would definitely be a great addition to any locker room, with his contract though, and his inability to play anymore with his injuries, a trade wouldn't be worth it IMO. Adding him as an assistant coach when he retires would be nice though, I can see him looking to become a head coach after he retires.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mike Miller

14. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

well if the lakers use the stretch provision to release him, I say we give him a chance at the vet minimum lol why not... worst case scenario is he doesn't play and can teach guys a lot as a player-coach kinda role. wouldn't be too bad honestly.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Battier.. get him as a def. ast. coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I think best case scenario is we get Lionel Hollins as our defensive coach and battier can come along as one of the assistants.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SF Shawn Marion
    PF/C Elton Brand
    PF Boris Diaw

are the only ones that hold my interest

Rocket River

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

what do you want him to do? teach players to put their hands in front of opponent's faces and flop?

19. dragician

dragician Member

Hayes please...

20. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

spencer hawes doesn't? dude rebounds well and shot 40% from 3... he would be an ideal fit as a stretch 4 next to howard if we can't get love/melo