1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anti Redskins ad will air tonight during NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jun 10, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mR-tbOxlhvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like Rush Limbaugh said, just change the mascot, not the nickname.

[​IMG]

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Looks good to me

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think the "redskins" name is the offensive part not the mascot or logo, I could be wrong though. I don't really find the name offensive.

5. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I think that's his point, if you change the mascot, now we're talking about Strawberries, or red potatoes, and not Native Americans...

6. Summer Song Giver

Please change it to Honkeys.

I would love this world so much if that happened.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This isn't annoying at all.

I'm trying to watch the NBA Finals here.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Paid for by Jerry Jones

1 person likes this.
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah! It's almost as if advertising and PSAs are trying to get in front of as many eyes as possible!

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Then why choose the NBA Finals?

11. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

"Native Americans call themselves many things, the one thing they don't (picture of Redskins helmet)."

That's interesting, cause I don't call them Redskins either. I call the football team I support the Redskins. I've never even heard someone refer to a Native American as a "Redskin". Why don't they throw in the Braves, Indians, and Blackhawks in the commercial as well since they don't call themselves those either.

I am sure 1000's of kids on reservations could have been fed several meals with the money spent on the commercial. What a shame. Feed our hungry or meaningless commercial. Yeah lets go with the commercial.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There's a lot of writing out there on the reasons for and against this already. As a former DC resident, it's pretty much an exhausted topic from the coverage I've read/heard/experienced. Your point is bad though. There is value in spreading a message (whether or not you agree with that topic). If there wasn't value there, charities would never run ads. It's not feeding the hungry vs. appealing to the public. Organizations with an agenda do both bc both things help (if that's their cause).

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Valid, but if you have never been oppressed I wouldn't expect you to understand.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"As possible" - Perhaps the organization didn't have the money to buy Super Bowl time and instead settled for a different event with millions of people watching.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

If your argument begins with "Like Rush Limbaugh said"... You need to take a serious look in the mirror.

1 person likes this.
  16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

if it offends a large group of people and they are saying it's a slur, they should change it. However I'm not in their shoes or maybe not in the right time period either, where we see many native americans. I can see it being a racial thing for native americans though and apparently wikipedia says it is

17. Buck Turgidson

Get rid of Chief Wahoo and the Braves too. Oh, and the Red Raiders and about 76 other college team mascots.

18. Buck Turgidson

My personal favorite:

[​IMG]

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

20. roxfan87

roxfan87 New Member

The Red Raiders nickname if you are refering to Texas Tech has nothing to do with Native Americans. The name originates because of the scarlet uniforms they wore while their nickname was still the Matadors and Red Raiders became popularized in newspapers and broadcasts before becoming officially adopted.