1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin live on SI Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fighton, Jun 10, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know if it's me, but Lin almost seems to not be enjoying his time in the NBA like he was.

With the Knicks, he seemed like he was having a blast. Even with the Rockets during his first year he seemed more wide-eyed.

But this year the look on his face was stone-cold, like he wasn't enjoying playing in the same way.

I don't know if he wasn't happy with his role on the team this year or what, but he didn't have the same spirit.

2. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Morey won't trade anybody unless he is incredibly confident he can land one of the top FAs. He could deal them later for more than just cap space..

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I agree, which is why I'm not really counting on seeing anything happen on draft night. I think if a Lin/Asik trade is going to happen, I think it happens probably on the day that the Rockets get confirmation that they have a player lined up ready to sign/be traded to the Rockets probably in the first week of July.

I bet we hear a ton of activity coming from the Rockets on draft night that gets everyone hot & bothered, but it turns out to be mostly posturing and setting up for later on in the Summer.

The worst thing that could happen is the Rockets move Lin/Asik out beforehand to create cap, end up striking out on their top targets, and end up using the cap space on a player out of necessity that turns out to be a bust (D-Will or Josh Smith seem like a dangerous gambles in this type scenario).

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

it is the most r****ded, warped line of thinking to hate a guy because you don't like his fans

he has no control over that, how would you feel if everyone in texas a&m hated you because your sis was gave crap gobbies

hate him because of his basketball skills

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

No offense, but I think that's just you. I think given the circumstances (poor play, diminished role, etc.) he looked and acted about as positive as you can expect.

Linsanity was the time of his life. It was a dream happening before his own eyes. Nothing in this world can explain how awesome that must have felt. Comparing his joyous nature during that time, and 2 years later when he's playing on a smaller stage in a smaller role isn't really fair. The stakes are completely different.

Can you imagine anyone, much less a star player, maintaining that type of unbridled joy through a roller coaster ride of an NBA career that Lin has had thus far??? The guy is only human, but I thought he handled himself like a pro last year all things considering.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Even during interviews and everything he just didn't seem quite as happy. Like it was all business.

But my perception could be way off.

7. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

It was a tough year for him, you saw him struggle, and had a few injuries and all the trade rumors. Unfortunately, he's a pretty emo guy lol

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

i think he just understands that the nba is a business.

9. Fighton

Fighton Member

he's on Huffpost Live now:

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/se...all-houston-rockets-/5388f1fefe3444837f0002fb

making his rounds in ny. haha. this one is pretty good. the guy that interviewed him is actually the guys who wrote a scathing article about him a while back. he called him out on it but it was all in good fun/respectful way. lin def doesn't take himself very seriously.

- this would surprise a lot of people, but he actually said his role on the team now is a good role for him. last year he started but didn't finish many games. now he's finishing most of the game, with starter minutes and at times, more important responsibility than other starting PG's.

- would rather play a smaller role on a winning team then a big role on a team that doesn't have a chance to compete.

- open to coming back to nyc, even if it's this summer via a trade, but staying in houston with a shot at the championships is very exciting as well.

- any coach to play for and why - d'antoni. no surprise. was uncomfortable answering it but did anyway. respects mchale. but feel the houston system needs more time together to get right.

- when asked why he left new york, he laughed and said "well, i didn't exactly "left" new york" since he was restricted and it was up to ny to keep him.

- wants to be a 40% 3pt shooter. continue to improve defense and left hand but thinks he's made huge strides in those areas even though it hasn't been recognized. feels like those areas were weaknesses before but now just average. wants to eventually make those in strengths.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is not a r****ded or warped line of thinking. I believe (psychologists will correct me here if I am wrong) the term is called transference, though that's typically in regards to childhood/spouse/parents where how you feel about something/someone is transferred to someone else. The truth is, for most on this board, Lin fans have made many sick and tired of Lin and Lin topics. For some, it's caused them to downright hate Lin. It is not just basketball players either, but for any "celebrity" that has obnoxious, irrational, and r****ded fans (see Tebow, Manziel, Kobe, ect).

The fact is, Lin has some of the worst fans that I have seen since Tebow. Does Lin deserve it? Not at all. Kid is hard worker and humble. No one should hate on that. Unfortunately, life is rarely fair.

11. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for the link, there were some nicer links at the bottom of the page

12. ginia1110

ginia1110 Member

Aww!!! I wish there was a video somewhere! Anybody....? link please. :grin:

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yeah and people who engage in that sort of thinking are weak minded as hell in my opinion

don't let the lofers get to you!!!!!!

like just judge him on how he plays basketball (which is still pretty badly)

14. Commodore

Commodore Member

<iframe src="http://embed.live.huffingtonpost.com/HPLEmbedPlayer/?segmentId=5388f1fefe3444837f0002fb&autoPlay=false" width="570" height="351" frameBorder="0" scrollable="no"></iframe>

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

It is all business now more than ever for him. There is pressure to perform up to the expectations he now has on himself, help the team win, help his teammates win, prove he's not just a one-hit-wonder, get another good contract next Summer, etc. etc.

And there is no reason to think why it would be any different. Linsanity is over-with... The first young/fun year of the Rockets growing together is over-with.....it was fun while it lasted, but its beyond time to move on. I dont see the pressure and business-like attitude next year getting much better for this team as a whole. Every year more and more pressure to perform will increase.

Not sure what the Rockets can do to relieve that pressure now, but it with this team & with Dwight especially its hard to see them not at least try to keep some fun & smiles on the bench next year.

16. Rox23

Rox23 Member

FYI...we really don't want to get rid of Lin for nothing. Yes, it's true there are a lot of decent PG's in the league yet not nearly as many as ones who can shoot, penetrate, pass and (at times) play semi-great defense.

Someone on Clutchfans was for example raving recently about Patty Mills--that he would make a better backup point guard than Lin. Did you guys watch game 2 of the Finals? Patty Mills can't playmake any better than Omer Asik or Patrick Beverley, is a below average defender, and when he isn't hitting wide open threes than he is by and large not contributing. The Spurs second unit is dependent entirely upon the playmaking of Ginobili. That bench would SUCK without Ginobili's playmaking. With guys like Daniels and Covington now on this team, we need a playmaking pg on the second unit, not another catch-and-shoot guy.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Why the hell would we trade Asik for nothing? We're going to get good value for him. I don't even understand the point of your post, to be honest.

18. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Member

because for nothing we get cap space to sigh 3rd star duhh

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Unless Morey can get Love or Melo in return, it would be completely irresponsible to trade Asik and Lin.

Without a legit 3rd superstar it is a no brainer to let the same core stay together for at least another season before breaking it up. The Rockets, as currently constructed, are still learning to play with one another and the coaching staff is still trying to figure things out (especially on D).

Churn the bottom of the roster instead. Rockets need more D minded guys first and foremost, not necessarily more scorers. Role players who hunger to do the dirty work that our stars can't or won't do.

20. hltiki

hltiki Member