1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your Predictions for the Rockets Offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REDCTH, Jun 8, 2014.

1. REDCTH

REDCTH New Member

Not what do you want to happen, or your opinion on what ant happen. But simply, gun to your head, what do you think the Rockets will do this offseason?

Rockets Predictions:
    1. Trade #25 Draft Pick to 76ers
    2. Trade Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin (I dont know where yet, it depends on if we do a S&T with Knicks or not)
    3. Sign Carmelo Anthony
    4. Re-sign Chandler Parsons for 3 years/30 million, go into the luxury tax
    5. Sign Fillers and hope to christ our bench doesnt kill us

NBA Predictions:
    1. Heat win NBA Title, everyone returns
    2. Kevin Love to the Bulls
    3. Pau Gasol to the Spurs
    4. Greg Monroe to the Celtics
    5. Gordan Hayward gets laughably over payed

2. rockets13champs

I really think mario chalmers comes to houston

3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik are traded to Milwaukee and Philadelphia respectively. Lin's Appreciation/Glad he's gone thread goes for 100 pages.

Carmelo signs with Houston for a discount rate ($15 million), stating the reason for taking a price cut is that he has enough money but not enough jewelry

Parsons agrees to a smaller deal then what was offered to him by other teams in the offseason. It is believed he had promised Morey he would never leave him.

With Dallas struggling to find any identity, Shawn Marion is lured to Houston in the hopes that he can win one more ring. Emeka Okafor and Kirk Heinrich are signed for vet minimums.

Beverly/Heinrich
    Harden/Daniels
    Parsons/Marion
    Anthony/Jones
    Howard/Okafor

And that's how I would do it guys. :)

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Pipe dream but,

Melo for Lin, Asik and 1st round pick.
    Lowry for Parsons.
    42" pick - Alec Brown aka the 7'1 steve novak

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

- Morey strikes out on all the free agent stars that he chases.
    - Parsons signs a lucrative contract offer with the Lakers. Morey declines to match in order to preserve the 2015 free agency pipe dream.
    - Another pathetic defensive season for Harden, leading to a 1st round exit.
    -Dwight demands a trade or he leaves via free agency in 2016.
    - Patrick Beverley is sent back in time from summer 2015 to summer 2014 to correct Morey's mistakes.
    - Beverley convinced Morey to trade Harden for Love, swap Asik plus assets for Arron Afflalo, then sign Pau Gasol to play PF/C off the bench and Thabo Sefolosha as defender.
    - Rockets win championship in 2015.

#5 Carl Herrera, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Neat Wolverine reference. Have to tip my hat off to you.
    Lol

7. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Morey goes after Melo, but he ends up in Chicago.
    He also try's for Love, but the deal ends up collapsing.
    Morey ends up trading Omer Asik and a future pick for Paul Millsap.
    We end up keeping Parsons on a 5yr/$53.4M contract.
    The MLE is used on a veteran SF (either Marion, Ariza, or Deng)
    The Bi-Annual is used on Thabo Sefelosha or CJ Miles
    The Room Exception is used on Emeka Okafor

Bev/Lin/Canaan
    Harden/Sefelosha/Daniels
    Parsons/Marion, Ariza, or Deng
    Millsap/Jones/D-Mo
    Howard/Okafor

1 person likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOF posters are starting to look more and more respectable the more you spam the GARM.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thousands of speculative posts……some written by me.

10. dobro1229

Prediction #1 - Parsons gets offer & Rockets match. 4 year 48 million is a number I'm guessing they get him back at.
    Prediction #2- Lin & Asik are both still Rockets going into training camp
    Prediction #3 - Morey ends up using the MLE on a solid vet like.....maybe Paul Pierce.
    Prediction #4- The Rockets make an odd but very effective addition to the coaching staff. Defensive gameplay improves.
    Prediction #5- the Rockets are a better team than last year & push through to be threats to win the west.

Prediction #6 - CF posters think this is too BORING and make up predictions about how Morey is going to pull off 3 4 team trades to get Lebron, Rondo, and Kevin Love, and Harden is going to get shipped to the D-League or the Shangai Sharks.

11. rocketseagles07

My thoughts exactly

12. FeaR

FeaR Member

In other words, you believe one good/very good role player and Parsons/Harden defensive improvements(if they make any) will make us a championship caliber team ?

13. dobro1229

Look.... You can add every other all-star in the league and you are still not going to have two things-

1. A better overall team game-play than the Spurs

or

2. A better player than Lebron or Durant (assuming Durant is unavailable)

Either way, you can add whatever player you want, and the Rockets are still not clear cut favorites to win it all. They are still going to be in that second tier (Indiana, Portland, Clippers, GS, etc.) regardless.... (which in this era, isn't really a bad place to be.)

With the team we have now, given improvements w/ current players, maturity, improvement to system game-play, a little bit of defense, and some solid additions the Rockets can be the best of the 2nd tier & with a little luck & good match-ups, yes I could see the current Rockets team contending for the next 3 years at least.

I really hate the sports fan terms "Championship Contender" yada yada. Yes the Rockets could have contended for a title even this year despite their problems, but even if you are considered a "contender" with a stacked roster, you still have so many unguarantees with yet another brand new roster (which is what it seems like the majority of CF'ers are pining for).

-If the Rockets can shake things up & they know for a fact they are getting Melo/Love/ etc. they HAVE TO do it. However, there is a lot of merit in keeping the core in tact and simply just improving. You are taking a guaranteed top 6 - 8 team in the league for the next 5 years, and turning it up on its head for the sake of TRYING to have more talent ON PAPER than Miami/OKC & even that's not a guarantee.

I'm not rooting for anything this Summer(folks here LOVE to make speculative claims and fight you tooth & nail to prove that they are right that their way, or "THEIR PLAYERS" are the best), but I think the most likely thing to happen is to NOT turn the team upside down and have a major shakeup. Its all about calculated risk with Morey & co. I would predict less risk than more.

14. FeaR

FeaR Member

I agree with everything you've said except for the 2nd tier teams and championship caliber teams. IMO, no one had a chance for a ring except MIA,OKC,SPURS and LAC(I add them too). A team like Houston is with GSW,POR,INDY etc and there are a lot "IFs" so as to contend next year. I don't have a problem with this team but we put high expectations on them.

I believe the same with you,in a few years when Howard contract expire Harden will attract in his prime another all-star caliber player but people here who are waiting so many wears for sth, are impatient. They want a ring or a bust.

15. basketballholic

1. Morey already has a deal for Omer Asik that he's prepared to move forward with...with or without Jeremy Lin. It involves either pick #8, #9, #10, or #11.

2. Morey will know by draft night whether Lebron (or Bosh) wants to come here. If Lebron (or Bosh) wants to come here...Morey WILL clear cap to sign him outright or generate a trade with Miami.

3. If Lebron (and Bosh) don't want to come here, Morey is going to make a play for Love on draft night offering that pick from a trade of Asik plus #25, plus other picks plus Lin's contract plus one of Jones/DMo plus one of the youngsters (Daniels, Covington) plus some of our non-guaranteeds (Powell, to the T-Wolves on draft night for Kevin Love, Mbah A Moute, Shved, and Chase Budinger bought out of the last year of his deal and signed here with the MLE.

4. If Morey can't get a deal done for Love (and James or Bosh don't want to come), he's going to talk PJax and Melo's team about a trade for Melo with Melo agreeing to a sign-and-trade after the moratorium IF Melo has advised PJax he is opting out and is most likely going elsewhere. The trade won't include ALL of the assets Morey put on the table for Love IF Morey knows he has markets elsewhere for Lin. If Morey knows he can move Lin elsewhere by just giving up #25, cash, and a future first then that's what he'll put on the table for PJax...Lin, #25, and a future first. Because if Morey knows he can move Lin for #25 and a future first and he knows he can move Asik for #10 or #11, which can then be converted to a future pick or two...then Morey has no reason to put more assets on the table for the Knicks. He can simply clear cap, sign Melo outright and keep the extra picks.

4. If Morey fails at acquiring Love (expected) or at the very least getting agreement on a trade for Love or Melo to be executed after the moratorium, then he will move forward with securing a trades for Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin to be completed after the moratorium. The trade for Asik will most likely involve future picks and Brendan Haywood. Charlotte or Philly someone else will trade their pick (#9, #10, #11, etc.) for future picks (perhaps a future first and a future second) that will then be sent out as part of the Asik trade that takes place after the moratorium. Or they will simply agree to give up future picks (2015 and beyond) for Asik after or during the draft.

5. If we cannot acquire Love through trade on draft night or before June 1, then the trades for Asik and Lin will be firmed up to be completed after the moratorium....either with the Knicks or some combination of Philly, Charlotte, NY or possibly some other team.

6. If Melo wants to come here, Morey will most likely finally get a trade worked out for him instead of creating cap space to sign him outright. Once NY realizes we have the wherewithal to clear the cap (which basically means once everybody realizes we can move Lin) then they will most likely agree to a sign-and-trade.

Once again, the key to this whole off season is moving Jeremy Lin. It is my opinion that #25 plus a future first rounder plus $3 million cash should be enough assets to send out with Lin to a team to use their cap space. If that is indeed the case then don't be surprised if Lin is trade to Minnesota (as part of Love deal) or Utah (selling their cap space like they did last year for Biedrins, Jefferson, and Rush) or NY directly (as part of Melo trade) or Philly (as part of Asik trade) or possibly even a destination like Sacramento who flips a player like Derrick Williams to Utah or Minny or Philly for even less assets than it costs to send out Lin.

But in my opinion, the WORST case scenario involving trading Lin for nothing is #25, plus a future pick (in the 20's) plus cash plus possibly 1 future second rounder (50's to 60's). I personally believe there is a market for Lin. And I personally believe that either Lebron or Bosh or Love or Melo will be a Rocket by the end of July and we will wind up with an extra first round pick if we wind up trading for Melo.

and

7. Brendan Haywood will be a Rocket either by November 1st or by the trading deadline in February.

#15 basketballholic, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I just puked

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Lol at Asik for pick 8-11. We'd be laughed at.

18. basketballholic

What do you think Asik's value is in terms of draft picks?

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So the T-wolves will take a No.8, No. 25 and maybe a future 25-27 pick + Asik + Lin + fillers for Love? While they have 2 natural C already plus they need to pay 30 mils next year for these 2 players the Rockets dumped to them?

While the Celtics could probably offer No. 6 plus Sullinger or any other player the T-wolves may want?

What are you smoking and can I find it at CVS?

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I don't think there's 10 clear cut prospects take over Asik--so in that sense I'm agreement with you.

But on a value basis, no team gives a lottery pick for $15mil center like Asik. Nobody.

1st rounders are being guarded like a premium.