1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morocco Weekend Trip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pringles, Jun 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm currently in Barcelona interning. I only have the weekends to travel, but I can get my Fridays off I work more hours Monday - Thursday.

On one of the weekends, I am planning on going to Morocco, but it is definitely a struggle to figure out what and where to go. It seems like the flight to Casablanca is the cheapest, and the buses from city to city are relatively cheap.

Are there any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance!

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This blasphemous you infidel! I hereby fling poo at you!

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Once again, it's Obama's fault.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

LOL damn it. This internship is making me crazy.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been to Morocco, and it's a lot of fun. Casablanca isn't really that happening of a spot, but if you want to fly there and then take a bus somewhere else that's a possibility.

Fez is really cool probably my favorite place that I went when I was there. Marrakech was also great, and of course Tangiers which is where the ferry would drop you, is a great city as well. If you go to Tangiers hire a guide immediately. Otherwise you'll be swarmed by people asking to be your guide, and beggars until you hire one. You may want to make sure and get a govt. licensed guide otherwise they might just take you to places that are giving them kickbacks.

The food is great, drink the mint tea that you will surely be offered. People were very friendly when I was there. It kind of feels like you are in James Bond movie until you get used to it. It was a ton of fun. I hope you enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Only an Obama loving, commie leftist would go to Morocco.

TRAITOR!!! DESERTER!!!

;)

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This wouldn't have happened if we didn't go to Iraq.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im going to spain in september and am also looking into morocco, if just for a night. it would be cool to say i spent the night in africa!

i saw you can take a ferry from gibraltar to tangier and they do all kinds of tour group things. im going solo so i was thinking that might be the safer option.

also, ron paul 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

gibraltar is pretty cool actually. The rock itself is impressive and the town is like being on the high street in england, so pretty neat. Unless you are in sevilla or somewhere nearby though, I probably wouldn't go to gibraltar.

As for tangier, just don't do it man. Tangier is the equivalent of nuevo laredo, tijuana or any craphole border town. Except they don't even have a donkey show to redeem themselves.

Tangier is one of the crappier places I have been and I have been a lot of crappy ass places. If you are going to go to morocco I would say to go to marrakech on a plane and screw the whole ferry scene via gibraltar. Its not like the ferry is 5 minutes across. It's a whole shi**t show itself.

In marrakech you will get the whole africa/morocco scene while not getting as much of the other drama. In tangier everyone and I mean EVERYONE wants to be your guide. People will follow you smiling very creepily. We were sitting at an outdoor cafe and at one point some dude comes up and takes a spoonful of sugar and starts eating it like ice cream. As for the guides, finally you will relent and get forced into some 3 hour demo about a rug that basically is extortion just to get out it. They will keep you there trying to sell you something you don't want.

If you accidentally briefly happen to accidentally look at something that immediately means you want to buy it and they will hound you to no end basically following you. Very very pushy and I have been to some pushy ass places. If you insist on going to tangier I would perhaps look at doing it through something organized as a group well before you even step foot in morocco.. because as solo you will surely feel unsafe and pretty much get robbed/ bamboozled.

Tangier rates about as low on my list of places I have ever been. Just don't do it. Sure maybe I was there at a bad time for the place or what, but shady ass, lame ass place. Not representative of better places in morocco. No thanks.

Where in spain will you be?

1 person likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Marxist hippie

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now you say Morocco and that makes me smile. I haven't seen Morocco in a long, long while.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Eat couscous and hummus

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

We lived for three years in Madrid while my dad was stationed at Torrejón Air Base in the late 60's. One of the trips I remember best was a trip to Morocco. Can't give you any tips about it now but I have memories to this day of that week.

We did do Gibraltar (with the hills full of Peacocks) and camel rides.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

I am in Barcelona right now and will be for the whole month of June.

I wasn't planning on going to Tangier. Heard the same thing thing you posted but not as detailed haha. Marrakech is actually the place I want to go and take day tours - one to Atlas mountain and the other to the waterfall. Seems reasonable but having a hard time looking for tour guides.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My friend Ben Ghazi lives in Morocco.

1 person likes this.
  16. jo mama

thanks! you unsold me! i had not really done any research into morocco...marrakesh looks much cooler, but i thought if i wanted to do a quick couple days in africa tangiers would be the place. i guess you can do flights from seville to marrakesh???

ive got a couple weeks and im most interested in andalusia so im actually skipping barcelona this trip (also i saw that barcelonas biggest festival takes place the last two weeks of september, when i will be there...rather not deal with that).

what would you do with two weeks in the area? i really want to go to toledo, see the alhambra and find a really nice beach on the costa del sol. im also reading more about seville and how amazing it is.

im more into history, museums, art, culture, nature, off-the-beaten-path stuff then party-scenes. i can get wasted at home. i travel to see new stuff.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Toledo was one of my favorite places in Spain or really all of Europe. Of course every shop there will be selling "Toledo Steel" swords but don't let that touristy gimmick throw you off. The history is really alive in that city. The walls, the streets everything. From what you've described, you'll love that city. Great food their too. There was this quail in white wine sauce that I had there, that is one of the best dishes I've ever had anywhere.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah marrakech and atlas mountains would be the way to go. You would enjoy that infinitely more than tangier anyway.

Have you been to sitges? Plenty of people head there for beach scene. Sort of a go to move.

I would recommend mallorca as well. You can get a ferry there on Trasmediterránea to all the spots. I don't really like ibiza but it's on the list. Just be prepared to drop dough if you go to ibiza. kind of a rip off but san antonio beach is fun.

Have you been to montpellier? Fairly close to where you are and cute little town. Also really like avignon. I would try to hit both of those. Aix en provence as well. Actually that whole area of france is really nice. I would hit there way before ibiza and mallorca. But that's just a matter of preference since mallorca and ibiza will be spain and more beach and ra ra whereas as the avignon/ aix en provence are just nice nice pretty places. matter of preference. Tarragona, Valencia, Alicante are more just beach party kind of carbon copies of each other. A good friend of mine still lives in valencia and it's basically not as nice as barcelona but pretty decent for drinking bar. Decent ladies in valencia too.

or madrid. Are you planning to do madrid at all? You should. I honestly haven't looked at flights to morocco from sevilla but I suspect for sure from madrid.

I like madrid though. Great party bar scene. plaza mayor and area is fun.Actually plenty of fun in madrid in general. I can give you more detail if needed.

I am not sure where you will be most of the time? Sounds like andalucia etc is a side trip off of where you will be?

Yeah I get what you are saying about museums etc vs. partying just saying that spain in general has a really good bar/drinking scene.

As for places franchiseblade is correct that toledo is the 'old part' traditional and worth the look. You are right about alhambra. A must see.

Sevilla is pretty neat and the city in general is definitely a must see as well. The old part and orange trees. Sevilla is definitely a go.

So toledo, granada, sevilla.

As for coast I don't have much to say as I haven't been to marbella which is the place that most go to. I had a friend that lived in almeria and never really got much out of her on it except sleepy. They film sandy westerns there so pretty blah. Lots of folks hit benidorm. The coast is one to research since there are literally tons of places and villages. Usually though it will be lame ass british yobbos and british skanks on holiday ( british skanks like to bone though)

Typically from a party point of view the party moves around a bit so todays rage is tomorrows yawn on south coast.

I spent quite a bit of time in valencia and that was fun bar rage but a bit of a whatever on history and other aspects. Obviously there is history in all of these places so it's more up to you.

So moral of story I would really research the current situation in south coast and if in doubt hit marbella or maybe malaga.

But yeah toledo, sevilla, granada.

Wouldn't put too much time into cordoba or extremadura. Pretty much a yawner too. I would still consider gibraltar though. it is prety neat to see that rock.

[​IMG]

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

also go korea forgot to add that sardinia has recently been getting lots of run. Porto cervo is apparently where its at and where the uber are hitting. It's a moving target as usual same way turks and caicos was the spot for a second there.

I am not trying have you follow in abramovich and afflecks footsteps but these are the kind of spots that pass through the list.

Might want to take a strong look at sardinia.

20. jo mama

thanks! toledo is actually the place im most stoked about checking out. i dont know what it is, but after reading about it and looking at lots of pictures on the internets i am totally drawn to it. it reminds me of some of the cooler colonial cities in central mexico like zacatecas or guanajuato...where you kind of feel like you stepped back in time 100 years or so. not a huge city like madrid or guadalajara, but enough stuff to do and check out to keep me there for a few days.

thanks! im flying into madrid and two weeks later flying out of seville. plan on a few days in madrid, then toldedo, then granada then seville...after some of the comments here i am definitely interested in checking out marrakesh and maybe even spending a few days there...that would definitely alter plans.

ive got a few months, but i need to start working on my spanish. i learned to speak working in restaurants with a bunch of hillbillies from rural areas in mexico...im going to feel like jed clampet going to london. i was actually asked to stop speaking spanish by some spaniards i met in amsterdam a few years ago. "que onda pinche wey?"

#20 jo mama, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014