1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Atheists just Hatas?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by heypartner, May 27, 2014.

1. meh

meh Member

Based on my life so far, I have found the following to be true.

I don't believe in ghosts -> People think I'm normal.
    I don't believe in tooth faeries -> People think I'm normal.
    I don't believe in Zeus(or any other gods in any mythology) -> People think I'm normal.
    I don't believe in reincarnation -> People think I'm normal.
    I don't believe in nirvana -> People think I'm normal.

So I ask you, I also don't believe in the existence of an omnipotent God -> What do you think I am?

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Of course we create art because we're irrational. What materialistic rational purpose does art serve? Machines don't make art. Rationally, there is no meaning to the universe and life, but we give it anyways.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I feel like inherently, if you're an Atheist, you just shouldn't give enough of a **** to even spend 5 seconds on the topic. Much less take an entire day out to waste your time when you could be spending your life on something better.

1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Are you sure you know what actual reality is really like? Everything can actually be said to be a belief system... our 5 senses (6 if you count the mind as another one) takes inputs and we interpret them. Do our 5 senses gather information of our world in a way that give us the capability to KNOW exactly what reality is? We only know what we can know and that's it. Reality might not be within our grasp.

So, I'm even more extreme then maybe Sweet Lou. Everything we do is based on belief and possibly nothing about real reality. So in a way, the default position is not that we know this or that, but is we DO NOT KNOW anything for sure, we just believe in things. Of course, something is a bit more rational and logical then others.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Human has created machine and give it "logic" and "reasons" to do things.... and they have already seen things from those machine that they do NOT understand. It's almost like they created a machine to learn English but it becomes capable of learning Spanish and they have no why that is. We have already reached that point today... Machine seems to be doing things beyond its intended capability.

Machine might be able to make art.... in the near future.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Sooooo rude disrespectful and mean.

Keep it to yourself commie.

7. across110thstreet

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TVqMazEGaxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. bongman

bongman Member

You are correct that our senses are not as accurate as we would want it as it is a matter if interpretation. That is why we have rulers to accurately measure distance, thermometers to measure temperature, etc. We have developed a system that has helped us determine what is true or not, it's called logic and reason. We can test things for trueness by experimentation.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Ultimately, this is true.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Unless you believe that religion is harmful and you want to be a part of a change to eliminate it.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

I completely agree. This is why many atheists annoy me. There are many things I dont believe in and I dont give my opinion on those subjects unless I am asked. Many atheists have this need to convert others to their beliefs.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Religions believe that if you don't believe in God, you are going to hell. Wouldn't you say your salvation is important and not believing in God is harmful?

Personally I think its harmful to go around and demand people to believe what you believe. This is human nature, not religion.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

This applies to everything. Go look in the magic vs bir v bron vs jordan or the ps4 vs XBONE thread.

14. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Member

It's a two-way street. There are a bunch of religious people pushing their agenda down everyone's throats every single day of the week. Why don't you tell those people to STFU instead?

You cannot push your religious dogma on everyone and everything and expect no consequences. I am constantly exposed to religion every single day. The masses act as though this is some inherently good thing. I don't agree. The idea that I am just supposed to keep my mouth shut while religious people scream at the top of their lungs is ridiculous.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yup. I do wonder how far that can takes us when our observation seems to affect the outcome.

http://www.highexistence.com/this-will-mind****-you-the-double-slit-experiment/

16. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

I work for a University and there's about a dozen religious orgs or persons that get aggressive about handing out flyers to students every year. The production value of their material is top notched. I've been given a CD of songs accompanied by a thick religious novel. That was special, but the normal Jesus comics... man, at least Marvel quality.

I have yet been approached an atheist. However, Sciencetologist are really sneaky in trying to come off as scientific.

I know it's anecdotal, but I just don't see religion as victims in an overall context.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Instead of cherry picking my words, next time quote the post that followed that one. You would see that I believe people shouldn't be forcing their beliefs on others. So yes, I find it annoying when Christians come on to me telling me what I should be doing.

18. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

I do have to mention though, the liberal "save a tree" causes are just as aggressive.

But man... the Sciencetologist are tricky. They never mentioned their org name and always start out with something like (paraphrasing), "We're a group meeting up to talk about the about anthropological origins of humans."

1 person likes this.
  19. Dubious

Dubious Member

Non-religionist have been institutionally ostracized for 1,000 years, they still can't win an elected office in this land of freedom. Injustice always raises militancy but I still don't see atheistic proselytizing much. The amount would a tiny percentage of that for religions.

[​IMG]

#299 Dubious, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  20. meh

meh Member

Technically, can't you say the same about being on D&D of clutchfans in general? This is a Rockets board after all.

The funny thing is, growing up every time I'm approached by a guy trying to get me into some religion, I thought the exact same thing.