1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets face critical offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Where is J.R.? Morey was on 610 today and I'm pretty sure he said he would upgrade every position if he could but sees no need to upgrade the PG position. :(

1 person likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

There is a reason for everything Morey says.... my "guess" is that he does not like the point guards available at the expense of not upgrading at the 4 (Anthony/Love).

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

We're pretty solid at the 1. I don't see what people keep whining about.

We either need TJones to take a BIG step forward defensively, or we need to replace him with a better PF. We would also be well served to add a really good D and Threes wing player--potentially even move Parsons to the bench (but still give him 28-30mpg).

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets ideally need an upgrade at the one. Beverley is a very useful player but is best suited as a bench player and Lin is...well he is Lin.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Why not upgrade both the 1 and the 4? IDC, I'm gonna keep hoping for Lowry + Millsap until I know the answer is no. :: pout ::

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Link to the full interview recording-

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05...e-power-forward-position-than-at-point-guard/

Of course the first question is to ask him about the NFL draft.

However this is actually a pretty good interview. He doesn't really hold back on his answers too much -

-On Harden's Defense- Makes a pretty big point to note that these youtube clips are edited in a way to take his 12 worst minutes of the year, and its unfair to give much praise on the other hand when people edit youtube clips of highlights to make players look better than they really are as well.

-On the draft -

"would you trade the #1 pick" - Morey gives an interesting answer to that. Sort of a yes or no answer. If the player they are getting back is a sure superstar than yes it sounds like he'd do that kind of deal, but also makes a point to mention that there is actually a good probability that the #1 pick in alot of chance has a high success rate and the low salary gives you the opportunity to sign another large salary player. Sounds to me like he'd do the deal depending on how strongly he feels about the top prospect in the draft.

"would Parsons' be worth the #7 pick in this year's draft" - No, the probability that this player ends up being what Morey described Parsons as a "very good player" isn't high enough to justify making this type of trade. Doesn't expand to talk about flipping picks though.

-There are about 20 "Draft-able" players in every draft by draft day. This draft has more than most years.

-Only have "3 strong defenders on the team". offense "good enough to win the title", but sounds like this is the key area of focus going into next year. Top players "need to be 2 way players".

-Discussions about Kevin McHale's job? - He evaluated McHale but felt positive about how they've hit their goals the past 2 years, they've improved the team, and think with giving him the tools to succeed he will meet the goals for next year again.

-If you aren't beating a team like Portland some games by more than 10+ points, you aren't winning the title.

-On mid-range jumper- They value guys that are skilled at various shots. They know mid-range shots can be effective, but it has to be efficient.

-On starting PG- Thinks the Rockets aren't going to have a all-star at every position, but compared to their competition in the rest of the West, that's the biggest gap in talent. However thinks the PF position might be weaker for them internally, but PG spot sticks out the most in regards to their competition.

-Have to get better at late game execution. Teams defended the Harden/Howard pick and roll in ways that took away that play.

#226 dobro1229, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  7. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I agree that we're pretty solid at the 1 however there needs to be Better late then never game execution and Better Defense especially from Lin. I would not trade Lin for the world because I believe that he has Superstar Potential especially when he isn't deferring to his teammates so much. Hopefully he got it out of his system considering that we recently added two supadupas in Howard/Haren.

It is comforting to know that the current Rox are capable of Improving Significantly to become contenders in the Wild West but too bad there is no guarantee next year. Maybe its best to do both and add talented veterans like Love, Anthony, etc. I hope that the Rox make Great decisions moving forward...

#227 djperm, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. da_juice

da_juice Member

9. redglare92

redglare92 Member

it was working when i tested it. not sure why it was blocked.

here's the copy:

NBA Trade Rumors - The Houston Rockets are reportedly trying to make some noise this off season, and apparently, one player certainly on top of their wish list is Kevin Love, who is reportedly asking an exit from the Minnesota Timberwolves.

After another first-round disappoint in the postseason, the Rockets are out to retool their lineup this summer, as they look to get some elite acquisitions through free-agency and trade market.

New York Knicks Carmelo Anthony will likely become the biggest name in the free-agency market, but the Rockets can also land a jackpot on the trading front, where Love is becoming a big target for multiple championship contenders.

Love, who averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 rebounds per game last season, is attracting interest from the NY Knicks, Golden State Warriors, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Chicago Bulls, Phoenix Suns and the Rockets.

These past few months there have been reports about Love's preference to return home and play with the Lakers, while others indicated the power forward's interest in pairing up with Team USA teammate and All-Star Carmelo Anthony in the big apple.

However, several analysts believe the Rockets have the assets to pull off a blockbuster trade with the Timberwolves. With Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons and a handful of draft picks in the fold, Houston can certainly send a competitive package for Wolves GM Flip Saunders to consider.

The Timberwolves executive has already expressed interest in parting ways with Love, but a trade is unlikely to take place before the upcoming NBA Draft.

"For the first time, [Saunders] sounds like looking at <nobr></nobr>deals for [Love] is an option," one rival executive told Yahoo Sports," according to NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski.

Why Jeremy Lin should be in the package for Love?

It's very clear that Lin needs a fresh environment to take his career to another level. The Rockets don't give him the opportunity to thrive because he has to bear playing alongside a volume shooter like James Harden.

Getting Lin would be an upgrade for the Wolves, who have been sticking with floor general but lesser-talented scorer Ricky Rubio. In addition, the T-Wolves can form an exciting backcourt duo of Rubio and Lin, emanating the wonders Jeff Hornacek did in his first season with the Phoenix Suns, which have explosive guards Eric Bledsoe and Goran Dragic.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Source material is the International Business Times, which I have never heard of.

11. fluors

fluors Member

International Business Times (IBT) is a global digital news source launched in 2005. They bought up Newsweek and Newsweek.com. It boasts 15M US readers and 25M readers worldwide. Its global headquarters is in the UK (London). It also has editions in Australia, UK, Germany, Italy, Japan, India, and China. The US headquarters is New York. See the following: http://www.ibtimes.com/corporate/about. IBT Media has a comprehensive worldwide sports section (most of which seems to be collected and reprinted from other sources). I don't know much about IBT either but learned of them via Linsanity. They follow Jeremy Lin religiously. When I typed Jeremy Lin into their search engine, I got back 2,850 articles, most of which appeared in China, Australia, and the USA. For reference, I used the same IBT search engine for James Harden and got back 601 results; Chandler Parsons returned 473 articles and Dwight Howard got back only 102 results. A retired Yao Ming netted only 31 results. All of them pale in comparison to LeBron who returned more than 9,020 articles. These numbers don't surprise me. The goal of all digital media is to get enough clicks to attract sponsors and advertisers (that's how they make money) and LeBron James and Jeremy Lin do just that because they are the #1 and #2 Most Googled NBA players of 2012 AND 2013. See http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-lebron-top-trending-team-do-you-have-to-ask/. Alexa.com ranks IBT.com at 719 in the USA and 1200 globally.

12. fluors

fluors Member

13. redglare92

redglare92 Member

It's more of a click-bait type of article but there's some substance to it. Rockets would have to give up on assets like Parsons, Asik, and Lin in order to get an All Star like Kevin Love.

I posted it after I saw it on "spotlight" on Google Sports. My mistake if it mislead anyone.

14. deshen

deshen Member

The top priority in this off-season is to get an experienced head coach. Otherwise, it is just wasting everyone's time even the Rockets manages to get the third star. Look at how the team was coached in this playoffs. it was awful and unprepared.

1 person likes this.
  15. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Matt Bonner to the Rockets in the off season.

16. autoprt

autoprt Member

i know so many want to trade this one and that one but in the last 2 games of the playoffs it reminded me at many points of those games similar to the scene in the Matrix when Neo was finally starting to get it and understand his capabllities.

those last 2 games the rockets were playing with high intensity and learning to play like a team and working the inside out game once lin was allowed to create with bev on the floor and i really believe had they gotten past portland they would have gone deep.

17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Miami is unbeatable.

Might as well tread water until LeBron and co. Retires.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No team is unbeatable forever. They are the best, but we need to get better and become a strong force in the league.

Don't lose hope.

Go Houston Rockets!

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

So sick of everybody actin as if Morey must have some trick up his sleeve. Maybe Morey is wrong and doesn't comprehend the importance of a point guard. I don't think one can put blind faith into the same GM that thinks Mchale's done a great job. Morey is not as smart as y'all give him credit for