1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 Players with the Highest Catch and Shoot Effective Field Goal %

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedEyesKirby, May 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Get Lowry back!

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

Can all of you just admit the sample size is sort of small and let it go at that?

Just because it is sort of small (2.5 shots per game) does not mean the data is invalid, or biased, Lin sucks, or that so-and-so is Asian and should be banned from this board.

Can we also just admit that volume shooters (which Lin is not) are probably at a disadvantage here? And the Lin is most likely not the 20th best catch and shoot guy in the league? And just pointing that out does not make someone a Lin-hater or a racist?

3. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Like these comments:eek:?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You seems like a totally different poster on this forum lol.

Anyways back to topic. Props to Lin, but its easy to slice and dice the data to fit whatever we are trying to see. Some of the posters are right, if you modify the params you could see Lin is not on that list.

It does show he has improved

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I seem like a totally different poster, because I am a totally different poster.

Some nut job LOF likes to post as me because they are a special kind of insane.

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Don't need to post his comments from other forums.

That's just wrong IMO

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wow. That's disturbing.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Larsv8 you're such a douche!

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

larsv8 = permanent block list

(kidding. that's messed up. I wonder what Lin thinks about his deranged internet army.)

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL wow.

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

you might want to beef up the home security.

I can now understand it if you have particularly strong feelings about LOFs.

11. Stats

Stats Member

Clutch should write a script that automatically replaces the word "Lin" or "Jeremy" with a random Rocket player's name (that's not Lin). I think that would solve the problem.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good idea.

"McFail is a racist. He has a short leash on Harden."

"Asik sucks. He just dribbles into the paint, jumps, and has nobody to pass to."

"Harden dribbles the shot clock down to 3 second and swing the ball to Howard at the 3pt line."

"Hamilton singlehandedly lost Game 4 for us."

"If you are a DMo fan, you must be Asian."

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

What the **** just happened?!

In.gif

Psychos

14. hollywoodMarine

So... back to actually discussing the stats

I am wondering how is Lin unable to mesh offensively with the starters/Harden given that he is good at catching and shooting (in reference to the APM post awhile back that showed Lin was actually a positive on the defensive end, and a negative on the offensive end).

I always thought Bev was a better fit alongside Harden offensively because he could catch and shoot better, but this stat actually debunks that. So why, going by APM numbers, is Lin still a net negative on offense? If he is a good catch and shooter, shouldn't he be able to complement Harden's game? :confused:

Some possibilities:

1. I'm thinking it may be the turnovers that result in his negative offensive APM, but if you count each turnover as like a missed field goal (and yes I know they are not the same thing, but just consider), how would this translate in terms of his shooting percentage? Would it be that drastic a change?

2. Some have suggested that Lin, when not confident, passes up the shot way too much, which ends up hurting the offense. But his total catch and shoot points are not totally insignificant (or that much lower than Beverley's?), so he should still be making enough of an impact each game where the defense would consider him a legitimate threat as a catch and shooter and adjust accordingly.

He was also injured, meaning his points from catch and shooting should actually be higher (although, for that matter, Beverley was also injured a lot, so his catch and shoot points should also be higher!)

3. It could also be that his catch and shooting is fine, but when he drives, he is taking away shots from Harden (who make them even more efficiently?). By this logic, he could be a good fit if he actually just focuses only on catching and shooting? It would also lessen his turnovers. I have no numbers whatsoever to back this up however

One last thing is Lin's consistency. Yes I am aware of the irony that I am now talking about Lin's inconsistency despite my first thread ever on this forum being a defense of his consistency :p Perhaps he has good numbers on average when it comes to catch and shooting, but the standard deviation of his shooting performances negatively affects the offense? However, assuming that APM numbers are also an "average" of sorts, this still doesn't quite work either. For instance, if Lin is red hot in one game, and stone cold in the next, shouldn't that still translate into very high offensive contribution in one game, and very negative offensive contribution the next (which averaged together, should still reflect his mean catch and shoot effective FG%?)

15. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Does Parson's pump-fake-then-drive count as hesitating on a 3? Drove me nuts every time he gave up a wide-open 3pt opportunity with that move...

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Everything that you mentioned could factor in but to me the number of catch and shoot shots that he takes makes the results negligible.

Lin doesn't shoot that many catch and shoot shots and is producing 3 points per game on those shots. That really isn't enough production to cause opposing defenses to change the way that they are trying to negate Howard and Harden.

It's not just Lin though. Houston, as a team, doesn't shoot that many catch and shoot shots per game. In fact we're 27th in the league in catch and shoot FG attempts. Parsons leads the team with 4.5 points off of catch and shoot.When we do take them though, we are pretty good at catch and shoot with an eFG% of 55.7% as a team on those shots.

There's certainly plus and minuses for Beverley and Lin but the difference in eFG% on catch and shoot shots is minimal and isn't really a factor.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He doesn't move well, you can be a great catch and shoot player, but if you don't move well off the ball, it goes to waste (see JR Smith, I'm surprised no one mentioned him, he's basically the prototype for has the shooting touch, but not the supporting skills). Beverley moves well, gets himself open fairly often just from reading his man cheating and is decent at making cuts. Bev is basically no threat with the ball in his hands unless he's being defended by Curry or something though.

#117 Aleron, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How many players actually qualified to meet this criteria? Is Lin the 20th best or the 14th worst?

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

At 200 points, probably about 4 or 5 per team, maybe even more; The Spurs probably have 10. It's a really low criteria

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

With a filter of total points >= 200 there are 130 players that meet the criteria.