1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 Players with the Highest Catch and Shoot Effective Field Goal %

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedEyesKirby, May 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ginobili doesn't need a system.

He's just good.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If you make 4 shots in a row, or miss 4 in a row, the outcome of the 5th shot is still the same.

He passes up shots, not because he's not open, but because he loses confidence, it hurts the team, it doesn't effect his catch and shoot percentages.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the relevant question is how well the actual Rockets do against how well the guys Morey gave up do. So far it has been very good.

The beef about Morey's revolving door roster policy is, Does it really necessary to cycle through so many players in order to get the right team? He missed out on Lin the first time Lin was here. We could have had Lin for a lot cheaper if we signed him then. But I don't blame him because it looked to be the reasonable thing to do at that time.

The thing is, Morey is not infallible when it comes to talent evaluation. And he knows it. So what he does is keep bringing potential guys and watch them for a season or two. If they don't give him as high value as he predicted, he ships them out for some other potential guys. And the cycle goes on and on. And he bounds to ship some out a bit too early.

4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

That logic applies to coin flips not shooting.

Shooting that shot when low on confidence would definitely have a different outcome percentage. We have different views. I dont think shooting is entirely based on muscle memory. I think for Lin in particular the mental component significantly affects his percentages.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know how much of this applies to Lin, but there are certainly degrees of "openness" with catch and shoot situations. Generally the Rockets players shoot even if they're being closed in by the defender. Parsons and Beverley both shoot a lot of 3s where they're not really all that open. My guess is that the Rockets stat shows even a semi-open 3 is better than a 2. Even if you go back, players like Ariza or (rookie) Parsons or Lowry in his early years they shoot the 3s despite pretty crappy percentages. It's inherently necessary to run the spread offense for players to shoot even non-optimal shots to keep the defense honest.

Lin is the only Rocket that seem to hesitate at times even when the situation obviously calls for him to shoot the 3.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

this is true, and my eye test also tells me, he took over 20 very low % last second ,not set, bail out, buzzer beater 3s from Harden when he didnt like what he saw in driving into the paint and kicked it to lin. still finished with highest % on the team tho :grin:

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If anything, I'd argue his loss of confidence hurts his shooting percentages, since he seems to pass up wide open shots, whereas he can go into JR heat chuck mode if he's hit a few.

Stop, pause, no one around? pause some more, ok covered, pass vs launch mode enabled!

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

If what you say is true, this only makes his hesitation even worse. If as you say his shooting is even better than raw number suggest, he should be shooting more, get himself in position and open to shoot. If he's unwilling to do that, he lacks the mental fortitude to succeed in the NBA.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Should have known this one was of those stat modifying models.

10. Rocketfan_Dave

Rocketfan_Dave Contributing Member

Yet everyone forgot what he did in game 3 and 5. Lol

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Only if you set the filter on total Catch and Shoot points to just below Lin's totals (214).

If you completely remove the filters then the Rockets top 3 from the regular season looks like this:

1. Brooks 117 pts 72%
    2. Daniels 24 pts 63.2%
    3. Hamilton 65 pts 61.3%

If you raise the filter to 215 points then the top 3 looks like this
    1. Parsons 392 59.4%
    2. Beverley 263 56.9%
    3. Harden 282 56.9%

The playoff numbers look like this:

1. Daniels 20 83.3%
    2. Harden 31 70.5%
    3. Parsons 32 55.2%
    4. Beverley 12 42.9%
    5. Jones 2 33.3%
    6. Lin 6 21.4%

1 person likes this.
  12. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

wow, I did not expect harden's %age to be so high. he had a horrible series, but I guess those misses were on other types of possessions.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Hmm...another popular perception. Let's see:

Lin took 662 shots for the season.

15% of Lin's total shots were taken with 3 or less seconds on the shot clock.
    So that works out to 662 * .15 = 99.3 shots taken with 3 or less seconds on the shot clock.

Of the shots that Lin took with 3 or less seconds on the clock, 43% were assisted. That works our to 99.3 * .43 = 42.7 shots that were taken in with 3 or less seconds on the shot clock and were assisted.

So ~43 times Lin took a pass from a teammate and shot the ball with 3 or less seconds on the clock. Of those 43 shots, at least 20 of them were catch and shoot shots (no dribble)? All of those 20 shots were low percentage (not set) shots? All of those 20 shots were off passes from a driving Harden?

Really?

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Lebron's weakness two years ago is now a top 20 talent in the league.

15. larsv8

Aelliot is wrecking this thread.

Kudos to you sir!

1 person likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Interesting Rockets-related tidbit:

That chart is for players who have a minimum of 200 catch-and-shoot points.

If you drop that minimum to 199 C&S points, a 2014 Rocket is in 3rd place, just above J.R. Smith. That's for the entire season, not some kind of fluke.

Can you guess who?

(He's the one on the left.)

[​IMG]

17. bmd

bmd Member

How can I find how many catch and shoot jumpers were taken by each team this season?

18. Play07

Play07 Member

lmao you’re rejoicing on him trying to go back and forth/argue the ROCKETS team having a player in the top 20 in spot up shooting instead of just giving him credit or not posting in here at all. A few posters who don’t even care for lin at least gave him his props and moved on, but others are trying to find negative in a positive boring off season thread.

No one’s claiming he’s reggie miller/steve kerr in his prime but clearly he had above average spot up shooting ability in his 13-14 season, the OP just posted some numbers and said he was surprised.

19. larsv8

No I am rejoicing because I get annoyed when people manipulate statistics to try and prove a point.

The "set the bar just below Jeremy's minimum" tactic is the first one out of the LOF toolbox, and I should have noticed it myself, but CPA exam prep has clouded my brain. :cool:

20. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Isn't he the only player with the shortest leash? Isn't he the only role player gets blamed by fans after every single loss and during every single game?

Rookie Parsons got green light to shoot at will, good for him. Yeah, it's testimony how Lin is a mental midget. Is he traded yet?