1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Salvy

Salvy Member

LOL its all good.... I'm sure I'm going to be laughing at this in the future..... It was actually cross fit and yeah I think I did push my self to the limit of what a beginner can take. I went all Beverley but failed like Lin.... I had contemplated for two days on taking this stuff... I read up on everything involving pre-workouts but I'm so new I still don't know what the ingredients are and do even if I hear or read it over and over again. There is so much to learn. Anyways, I took a risk and I drank it... It was a learning experience the hard way. I felt like if I didn't take it I would always have it in the back of my head on what it does and how it feels. Now I know.... SUCKS.... Don't know if my body will develop tolerance since I don't plan on using it anymore... I'm such a noob.....

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

hmmm after reading that, honestly I think it was probably mostly due to the workout and a little bit due to the supplement. I think the nervousness/jitters were due to the caffeine, but the nausea was due to going too hard too soon in your workout. I've heard that crossfit can definitely do that to you, especially since you are new to it. I've puked after hard leg workouts before.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

It was pretty intense today...Started out with pull-ups, sit-ups, regular squats no dumbbells or weight..... After that I chose a weakness so I did bench.... Instructor showed me a couple of things and right after that warm-up we started the session. 20 min worth of squats with weights, sit-ups and then run 200meters come back and get back to squats.... I went 4 rounds before time expired.... Not fun.... Everyday is different and everyday will challenge different part of the body but I'm motivated and trying my best to get in good shape.... Fully committed but my biggest fear is making a mistake, hurting something that will set me back from all the hard work I've done..... Still awake from damn caffeine lol...

4. moose

moose Member

2 weeks of eating healthy and 1 week of insanity. Minimum results on the scale, but I'm feeling great!

1 person likes this.
  5. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

It's a slow progress but quitting won't speed it up. Keep at it

6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

this can be tricky because you see everyone else pushing themselves hard and want to keep up/not look like you are doggin it. but really most people have been doing it a long time and form is huge when your body is already exhausted. thus choosing the correct weight for the workout is key. nothing wrong with scaling workouts.
    experienced coaches for beginners are critical for finding the balance of pushing the limit without getting hurt.

what crossfit are you going to?

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

This has been very difficult but I accepted pretty quickly that I was but a scrawny young guy in a gym full of men with what appears to be years worth of workout and discipline. Its embarrassing how much I'm lifting (why I'm keeping my reps and lifting weight a secret lol)and how weak I actually was just 1 1/2 months ago. Not that I'm much stronger now but doing a whole lot better.....

I'm not overweight, I'm actually drinking my protein/weight gainer shake right now. Always been skinny but not lanky... Just not muscular. Just boring and average. I'm at an age now where I care about my body and I care about achieving the look I've always wanted. A friend of mine invited me to a small private owned gym and told me he was doing crossfit there and that I should try it. I went a couple of times and thou it was hell with the intensity of the workouts just simply seeing everyone's great shape inspired me. The instructor and everyone there was nice and helpful and now its like going and seeing a group friends every Monday/Wednesday/Saturday.

I'm starting to get the hang of eating more and eating healthy. I'm also learning about supplements and trying a couple of them for muscle recovery. Slowly but surely I'm trying to learn. It just seems like the slowest process ever.... Been sore all day.....

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

^^^ do you mean a crossfit gym? Or a private gym that does crossfit workouts? Because that's two different things.

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm going to say crossfit gym due to the layout and because that's all the gym does...... Why would it matter RV6?

10. droopy421

droopy421 Member

CrossFit gyms generally have better trained people for handling those types of workouts -- olympic lifting and other certificates. A gym that does crossfit workouts might not have people who meet those criteria and pays less attention to form. Granted there are plenty of crossfit style workouts that you don't need the best lifting experience to complete.

11. SK34

SK34 Member

1. So.. I've been logging what I eat lately (not counting the calories) to see how I eat. After a month, if i don't see better results, I'll look at the logs to see my eating habits and change it up a little by little.

2. I have 1 scoop of protein left at home. This protein shake didn't seem to help me. Please recommend me some protein shakes or post workout drinks that are worth the price they are (no pre-workouts for me).

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what droopy said...a crossfit gym would basically be a an official franchise and a gym that just happens to offer "crossfit" type workouts is probably not licensed to do so. Once, someone told me they were doing crossfit and when I checked out their trainer's video, it was just a bunch of random exercises in a circuit, that he advertised as crossfit.

#692 RV6, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

1. If you're already taking the time to log what you eat, why not go the extra step and log the calories as well? Instead of waiting a month (or however long) to see if you're getting the results you want, you could know exactly what you are putting in your body so you can better predict the results.

2. Not sure what you are expecting, but a protein shake is simply a convenient way to add more protein to your diet. I don't expect it to do much in terms of results - that's all on the rest of my diet and working out. To me, they are all basically the same. I've used the Wal-Mart crap and more expensive stuff - no discernible difference. I would just find any kind of whey protein in your price range in a flavor you enjoy. Currently I am using this stuff that I found on sale at Costco for $35/5 lb and it's delicious.

http://www.vitacost.com/muscle-pharm-combat-powder-cookies-n-creme-4-lbs-1

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

#2 could be solved through #1. If you don't know what you're eating already, then the shake may not really supplement your diet well enough.

I don't see the point in logging your diet, without tracking macros/calories.It might look good and/or "clean" but that doesn't mean it's helping you reach your goal.

15. SK34

SK34 Member

The reason I'm not logging calories is because I don't know how many calories a certain thing is when I'm eating them. Especilly since its pakistani cooked (mostly moms cooking), I don't know how much calories a certain dish is. There isn't even a site where I could log pakisani food dishes.

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I know it seems like a pain in the ass, but I'd seriously recommend you take the time to figure it out. First step - go to Target/Wal-Mart and get a food scale (you can get a decent digital one for ~$20). Next, either watch your mom cook and write down the ingredients or have her give you the recipe. After that, look them up online (including any sauce/oil) and do the math. Spending an hour (max) to do this is much much much more efficient than potentially wasting a month of hard work because your diet was off. Trust me, I learned this lesson the hard way and you will thank me later.

17. SK34

SK34 Member

So count caloris or also count how much protein, carbs, etc each dish has?

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Calories as well as macros. Look for a 40-30-30 split of Protein, Carbs and Fat but stick to Carbs mostly around your workout time (before and after)

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Anyone take dextrose post workout which is a fast digesting carb (ofcourse along with awhey) which apparently causes an insulin spike?

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

sucks

niggling injuries from rugby just make it so difficult to lift

losing my mind