1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

"Starting PGs in the West--do the Rockets need an upgrade?
    The one spot is where we are the biggest gap from our Western competitors."

there u go, starting PG is the biggest gap--even Daryl has to admit Rocket's starting PG--aka "better fit" Beverley--is the worst among western conference.
    whole season long propaganda finally get busted by the GM himself, now you look back this "defense expert" just an injury prone and fade away in playoff intensity.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

- Are we talking about the 7th pick as a rookie vs. what Parsons does now? Or are we talking the average 7th pick's third yr performance vs. Parsons' third year performance?

The latter would seem to be a more relevant comparison.

- One thing to consider: Variance. With Parsons, we pretty much know the level he can be expected to perform within a fairly narrow range of upside and downside. With the 7th pick rookie, the range of variations is pretty large. There is a decent chance of a guy being a total bust or a signficant chance he'd be an Allstar.

Parsons may be better than the "average 7th pick," a team may prefer taking a gamble with the pick if that team currently has no center piece to build around and want to get another decent lotto pick next season.

A team may also prefer it the other way- if you think you got a decent core and can be and want to be competitive right away, then adding Parsons may be preferable.

3. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

It's weirded and illogical that I thought Harden is the starting PG And SG of this team.
    Bev is just nominal pg. Very typical Morey b****ing again. SMH.

4. houtown

houtown Member

I don't know how someone could say McHale met or almost exceeded expectations this year. Wasn't the standard to advance? Morey has done an exceptional job bringing talent to Houston, but getting talent is one thing, and managing it is another. Part of managing talent is providing a coach, culture, and system that players could thrive in. The rise in wins for Houston the last couple of years could easily be attribute to getting both Harden and Dwight and then just throwing out there to play.

5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Dwight doesn't need your pity, he is making millions doing what he loves for a great franchise. Meanwhile you're getting all bothered about an interview and keep rambling on some an exciting sports team, whic has come a long way in the past few years.
    Feel sorry for yourself.

6. split41

split41 Member

People overrate chandler a lot on here. Dude can't even create his own shot. If I was a GM I wouldn't trade my #6 pick for Parsons, if I was getting Randle - I would have last year, though.

7. RockfanWC

RockfanWC Member

Real Coach Interview

Check out the 2 part Steve Kerr interviews on 5/20/14 on KNBR 680 w Tom Tolbert.

http://www.knbr.com/page.php?page_id=151

This is how real coach schemes offense for the NBA:
    ball movement - iso ball is over with - too easy to defend
    shoot early
    Mid range jumper could be the next Mon(r)eyeball
    player movement

Compare and contrast w what we see w Kevin McHale.

Who is going to go to the next level in 2015?

8. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Lillard was getting screens and players on the Blazers were moving off the ball.... Harden was forced to do it on his own....

I don't know McHale's upside as a coach.... Maybe if we dropped "Moreyball", McHale would be fine.... But we do have "Moreyball".... We still need an offense that sets screens and moves players off the ball. Otherwise, whoever is the opposing star player will "outplay" Harden in the post-season. Because when players aren't moving, it's easier to defend even the best ISO players in the game.

9. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

The problem is the lack of screens and player movement off the ball will make even the best point guards look bad in this offense. This is why we should stick with a defensive guy like Beverley, because Harden is one of only few players who can really make this offense work. But still, until we get screens and player movement off the ball, it won't matter who we bring here, or who we let go. (Unless we get rid of Harden or Beverley... If we release one of these players, this team will be in trouble.)

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Championship caliber teams don't have high coach turnover. It takes time. I'm not saying to be patient, I'm saying that you don't want your franchise to turn into one with high coach turnover. That never works out.

Improve, force improvement, but don't fire your coach after 54 wins. Poppavich isn't available. Neither is some other amazing coach.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Mchale had way more ball movement until we got rid of ppatt, it's well documented the sets he use to run with a pick & pop PF. No excuse for out of bounds plays, but still what do people want to see from a coach who does not have a PICK & POP PF !?!? you can't compare Mchale to other coaches because they all have at least one of these guys. Morey gambled going into the season with a tweener at PF who couldn't set picks or shoot a jumper. "And it failed" that's why harden has to try to do whatever up top, and causes lack of movement on offense.

Morey knows this isshhhh

12. Play07

Play07 Member

I told you guys how I was happy Howard came but Norway didn't address the teams needs after trading ppatt. Howard was a want not a need. He's good a star I get it. But I knew what the outcome was going to be. He went an upgraded the 2nd most solid spot on team other than SG.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

790 has lost their quality sports guys outside of Charlie P.

Lance/Adam: Strong on Texans, food and entertainment. Zero baseball talk, can't talk basketball. Adam was "fatigued" about the Rockets talk before the Blazers series was even over. Both are pretty silly and add so it's hard for them to have a serious interview with Morey, especially when Lance is rarely paying attention to Morey's answers.

ND/Greg: Football, exclusively football and Greg stories

Matt Thomas: As shallow as it gets. He is funny, but he can't give you in depth talk on any sport and he admits it.

Charlie P: Capable but so cynical that it's tough for him to be effective anymore.

Isn't it though? He gets Dwight here and then is unable to do anything else until this offseason and he is getting crapped all over.

They didn't stumble into it. Mike Meltzer is an awesome guy on the radio. Awesome.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Murray, Milk Hair, Haren..... Now we got Norway. Great here we go.

16. mmeltser

mmeltser Member

The reason the question was asked is because of Bill Simmons's latest mailbag. He suggested the trade of Parsons for the #7 pick, as part of acquiring enough assets to trade to Minnesota for Kevin Love.

Seth and I then had a discussion about the value of the #7 pick. Given some of the players who could be there (Gordon, Vonleh, etc), plus the fact that Parsons will need to be paid soon, I argued that if I were the Lakers, I would not trade the #7 pick in THIS draft for Chandler Parsons.

1 person likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It is really true that Norway has *never* really addressed the team needs.

You would think Norway could afjord to do more.

1 person likes this.
  18. langal

langal Contributing Member

You are overrating Bev. Honestly if we didn't have Bev we still win 50+ games. Harden is another story altogether.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

McHale has had 3 years. That is enough to know we aren't going anywhere with him. How many years would you give him? Another 2 at least. Should he be here for duration of the Howard/Harden era? That would be a tragic waste

20. conquistador#11

kind of obvious now that mchale's destiny is to get love here. can't be the leadership or coaching. His suave words brings all the boys to maury's yard.