1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] X-Men: Days of Future Past

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

movie was spectacular...

agree with one of seclusion's spoilers

I loved the cast of First Class, but Havok was barely in it, Zoe Kravitz is doing Divergent, while the rest of the cast died for "research"??

story was around Wolvering/Mystique simply because of Jackman/JLaw

Fwiw, my Xmen history consist the 90s cartoon, movies, and whatever I've read on Wikipedia, so I can see the hardcore fans can nitpick on the negatives

2. Nero

Nero Member

Obviously she was rescuing him, so the implication is that he never becomes adamantium-laced.. or if he does, it happens, it happens in some other way.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I got that, but it's stupid. They're just creating more continuity issues. I would be shocked if they didn't give him adamantium in the future movies.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Magneto lifted the stadium and set it around the perimeter of the white house. Basically to trap anyone / keep people out I think Trask + posse would have improved Mystique's powers so that the Sentinels would be able to adapt. They didn't explain this really, so...suspension of disbelief? lol.

I didn't mind people from FC being killed off (more or less); it set up some great acting from Fassbender on the plane.

The serum thing with young Xavier didn't really make much sense - wasn't his disability a physical one? Magneto re-directed a bullet at the end of FC? If young Xavier's powers caused him to not be able to walk, and he took the serum to block the powers so he could, that would be understandable. But how did the serum enable him to walk, while taking away his powers? There was an exchange with Beast during that scene, and I didn't really catch it. Something about balance? idk.

I completely agree with the movie being too much JLaw. Obviously your academy award winners / well-known people are going to get more screentime, but that was a little ridiculous.

Quicksilver / Evan Peters was almost the best part of this movie. Wolverine had his quips here and there, but the theater was cracking up during that Quicksilver slo-mo scene. It's too bad he didn't have a role in the rest of the movie - Peters is a really good actor.

McAvoy / Fassbender is a really solid foundation to build upon. Both actors are amazing - especially McAvoy in his scene with Stewart. Not sure if Quicksilver will be back, but I'd add him to the McAvoy-Fass group.

Anyway, I thought the balance of past and present (future?) was really well done. I was expecting old-X to have more screentime, but young-X was the rightful focus for this movie.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Got you on the stadium part. Agree with everything else. Aaron Peters is definitely a good actor. McAvoy is probably my favorite new school actor, or at least he's up there (Fassbender too of course).

lol yeah I almost forgot about the serum thing. Sense = 0.

#245 seclusion, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  6. Nero

Nero Member

Regarding the serum: Beast stated that the serum is what he himself uses to help keep HIMSELF in human form. However, at a few different points in the movie, Beast 'Hulks-out' voluntarily, which tells me that the serum must some how give him a sort of voluntary mental control over certain aspects of his body.

Now, if that is actually what it was (they didn't get into specifics), then it could make sense that the serum would allow Xavier a sort of *mental* control over the nerves and muscles in his legs, as long as he had the drugs in his system. This could theoretically explain why he could not use his telepathic powers at the same time - his mind was occupied keeping his body under control and moving. As the drug leaves his system, his ability to mentally control his legs diminishes, which causes his telepathic mental powers to return.

I have no idea if this is actually what they were thinking, but that is one way it could make sense.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

X-Men is my #1 thing... and I liked it but I definitely didn't love it. Singer stretches the rules too far and adds things in for no reason. Like Xavier walking. What's the point, man? It's just... cheesy. Singer still comes off cheesy. Captain America 2 comes off as campy but it's far more polish and wins in my book. I'll need a 2nd viewing of DoFP before I'm certain though.

Things happened too fast. They didn't feel genuine. It takes Magneto about 35 seconds to fully commit to Wolverine being from the future. Not much skepticism, no real questions, just takes the news as gospel.
    So much so that he's willing to kill his closest companion over it (Mystique).

Why did Wolverine have adamantium claws in the future? Are we supposed to ignore "The Wolverine"?

Sentinel scenes. That was the best quality of superhero action I have ever seen. It was scary, it felt real, mutants using their powers, working as a team... that was the pinnacle of the movie for me. They raised the bar for all superhero films to come.

Reports on Dinklage are accurate. He's forgettable in it. Fassbender was unbelievable as usual. That scene on the plane... he's the perfect Magneto. You can understand his rage, relate to his plight. His dream is every bit as meaningful as Xavier's. Fassbender also had to ditch his accent from 1st Class to reel his performance more in-line with McKellen's.

I actually thought there was less Wolverine than I was anticipating. Which is good. Not enough Fassbender. Too much Mystique and Stryker. They're not as interesting as the studio tries to make us believe they are. The audience is over it.

IMO, as it stands, the next movie is setup to fail. They need multiple movies and I'm not sure anyone is under contract for very long. I guess we get a Gambit and X-Force in between so we'll see what they do with those... but you cant cap off this second trilogy with just 1 more movie.

On the Age of Apocalypse comments - I don't think they're steering this that way at all. It would be overwhelmingly confusing to the audience at this point. I don't think we'll see alternate timelines again... unless X-Force is all about Cable and the rise of Apocalypse.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They've pretty much gone the same route as Star Trek by creating an alternate timeline, so they can basically ignore everything except this movie and first class.

A 3rd Wolverine movie is lined up to explain, the adamantium is too synonymous with wolverine. He actually isn't scheduled to appear in Age of Apocalypse, not in the main cast anyhow.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Listen, I appreciate that you're trying to listen to the movie explanation of things...but some of those explanations are just really ****ing stupid. Obviously it's a movie, and it's a movie about characters that couldn't possibly exist in reality...but I know **** being thrown at a wall when I see it. It's not even a similar effect to what the same serum does for Beast. Completely nonsensical.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They retconned Origins and the Last Stand. Might as well retcon the Wolverine while they're at it. I don't think they even know what the correct timeline is supposed to be at this point.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Buying tickets online now.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY SEEN IT:

3D or not to 3D?

12. BonziWellsGOAT

I always 3D just in case

13. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The 3d ads nothing.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's the reason the studio's add it, it's like free money. I rarely catch the 3D showings.

Unless the 3D is an intentional part of the production (Avatar) the 3D almost never adds anything. I went ahead and saw Godzilla in 3D last week just in case, I forgot it was even in 3D when watching. Still loved it though.

I thought the movie kicked ass, didn't catch it in 3D, but I doubt it actually adds anything.

15. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Just got back from watching it and really, really loved it. It wasn't perfect, but damn if it wasn't a great movie. It's in the neighborhood with X2 and First Class IMO. First Class had a lot of dumb things in it too.

My only real slight issue was how much J Lawrence there was. That was crazy, but not unexpected. Hollywood won out on that one. She did a decent job, there was just more attention than Mystique warrants as has been covered. I will say that the acting from the cast in this one was probably my favorite of the X films.

My favorite thing about it is that it erased that turd that was The Last Stand, although it may do so at the expense of X2 and the first one.

16. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

This movie ties all the loose end x1,2,3 and first class altogether.

at least they brought back cyclop and jean. Its not an xmen without cyclop and wolverine. Here's hoping for age of apocalypse 3 part triology with Mr sinister to start it off with Scott and jean wedding before the apocalypse chaos.

17. PeppermintCandy

A solid meh from me. The positives were outweighed by too many absurd plot devices and the obvious attempt at giving Jennifer Lawrence a bigger role/screentime. Maybe I'm just too old for these movies.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll put my thoughts behind a spoiler wall because while they aren't really spoilers IMO, some people are really touchy and I wouldn't want to unintentionally offend.

I would agree, this film retconned the garbage that should have never been in some of the previous films and set up a strong foundation for future films.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Reading some of these comments....hell, I thought I was a nerd.

Sure, it was imperfect, and did bow to Katnis' popularity.

But the effects were excellent, the story was engaging, and the acting was superb from McAvoy, Fassbender, and Jackman.

And thank God for the real-life pregnancy that kept Halle Berry to just a few scenes. Her acting gives me anal polyps.

20. conquistador#11

this whole mutants living on earth isn't very believable thus I give it 1 star out of 10.:p kidding.

so pumped about seeing it tomorrow.