1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name players you predicted would be good:

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JMAD21, May 23, 2014.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Doesn't have to be bold picks. Just list the players you were high on coming into the league and if you were right or wrong. Same for players you thought would bust out if you'd like.

I'm only doing guys since the 04 draft since that's when I started following closely.

Some of the guys I liked:

Right-
    JJ Reddick- took some time, but he's exactly what I thought he'd be.
    KD- wasn't a bold choice, but I was still right.
    Paul George- predicted he'd be the next Tmac, well on his way.
    Kawhi Leonard- wanted to take him over Morris, gonna be great for a long time.
    Nicola Vucivic- better rebounder than I thought he'd be, but not surprised by his success.
    Kyrie Irving- said he would be the best PG in the league within 5 years, 3 in and he's close.
    Jeff green- maybe not quite as good as I thought, but still great player that can help a team win a title.
    Damian Lillard- didn't expect it this fast, but he's as good as I predicted he'd be.
    Bradley Beal- still early, but seems to be a top 5 SG in the near future.

Wrong-
    Sebastian telfair- thought he was the next great PG... Wrong!
    Tyrus Thomas- crazy athlete, didn't translate like I expected.
    Greg Oden- injuries made us all wrong about him.
    Michael Beasley- his talent far outweighs his effort, since college MB has had either.
    DJ Augustine- another PG I thought would be an allstar. Decent player, but not what I thought he would be.
    Wes Johnson- fooled by a good vertical.
    Derrick Williams- thought he would develop a post game.
    Marshon Brooks- thought he was the steal of the draft, I was wrong.
    Myers Leonard- no explanation... I'm ashamed!

I'll post more as I think of them

2. dragician

dragician Member

Jeremy Lin - MVP 2015. **ahem***

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I predicted Royce white and Terrence Williams would be studs

4. SeabrookMiglla

5. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

uhm,
    Darko Milicic
    Ed O'Banon
    Ron Mercer
    Stromile Swift

6. SeabrookMiglla

You wanna fight? Same year same month. You got more Posts than me mr fancy pants

7. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I thought Terrence Williams would have panned out, as well #wordapp

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Lillard - I still think he can be a superstar. He is just an all-star for the moment.

I thought Kemba Walker was going to be a stud. I think he still has a chance.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Thought Jonas valanciunas would be great, still a work in progress, but far behind schedule.

10. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

haha..hey batchmate!

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I thought J Fredette would show the world that he's on Reddick's level.

12. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

;) Paul George, Lamarcus Aldridge, John Wall

:( Ricky Rubio, Jan Vessely, Joey Dorsey

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only two players that I really thought would be good were Lillard, and Beal.
    I wish Lillard hadn't hit that winning shot against us. Hope we can beat the Blazers next year.

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

I would have taken Michael Beasley over Derrick Rose. Beasley just had WAY better stats, and he was a great rebounder in college, which I thought would translate. Obviously I was wrong.

I would have taken Kevin Durant over Greg Oden. When watching Oden I just was not impressed. Most people at the time liked Oden better.

In the 2005 draft, I thought Gerald Green was going to be a complete stud. After Bogut, DWill, and CP3, I thought he was the 4th best prospect at the time. (I never was that into 6th man Marvin Williams.) I was shocked when he fell to #18. I have to admit I was flat out wrong about him, even though he has become a decent NBA player now, he is definitely not the star I thought he would be.

Like many others here, I was screaming at the TV for Morey to take Kawhi Leonard at #14 since I thought he was a top 6-7 prospect in that draft. It stinks being right about that one.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Right: James Harden bust in playoffs.

Just kidding.

On OP thinking Paul George is on his way to becoming TMAC - anyone else disagree or agree? I don't really see it...

16. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Players who I thought would be better: Jan Vessley (sp), Jimmer (at least used way more than now - still to be determined I guess)

17. Nook

Nook Member

WRONG:I was wrong on

Darko - I felt he had the potential to be a Hall of Famer... unfortunately he really had no desire.

Aaron Afflalo - Thought he would be a 5-10 year Greg Buckner journeyman that relied on defense..... I was wrong.

Steph Curry - I felt he was too small, too slight and not a real point guard. I underestimated how much the NBA would change. He went from a role player to an all star with changes in the game.

Joe Johnson - I thought he was a 12 point a game player, he is an all star.

RIGHT

Dirk Nowitzki - Amazed by his mobility and length as a teenager, felt he could be a better version of Tom Chambers. He is a perfect fit for the new NBA.
    Harrison Barnes - I never thought he was as talented as everyone else.

Andre Drummond - Physical FREAK, PERFECT size... Never thought he was a bad guy, he was barely 18 and expected to dominate, knew he wasn't mentally ready... college was never for him, he just isn't interested. He still has to learn positioning and is raw, but he would go #1 if he came out today.

Pau Gasol - Loved him in Europe, remember Rudy T wanting him before he shot up draft boards. Still has the best arms I have ever seen as a post player, he is literally an octopus.

Dwyne Wade - Imagine a better version of Latrell Spreewell. He was awesome in college and knew he would be special in the NBA.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Harden.

Jury still out.

19. scottie brooks

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He's not the scorer Tmac was, but size and and style are pretty similar.