1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That is true, but I think this whole things ends with a restructure of his contract with more guaranteed money and maybe an extra year. He's not an idiot, he knows he's not going anywhere this year.

2. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

Are you seriously comparing LUCK to any of the QB's from this draft? :eek: SMDH

3. Remii

Remii Member

Reggie already had a super bowl ring and plenty of playoff games under his belt. So that's not a very good example. And if Manning would have ended up somewhere like Miami _ I think Reggie would have followed him there.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Yea... And some on this board is taking Travis Johnson's opinion as the undisputed truth. Lol...

5. Major

Major Member

You should consider SYDH at your reading comprehension ability.

Why is not a good example? The question wasn't "what WR without a ring would want a rookie QB?" Does anyone read questions anymore?

Here's the question again for you:

What WR in the twilight of his career wants to play with a rookie QB?

Answer: Reggie Wayne

Please explain why that's a bad answer. Is it not true that he wanted to play with a roookie QB?

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure why his contract is even brought up. He has the biggest contract in the NFL in the short run(next 2-3 years). He's currently the 2nd highest paid WR in the NFL, but only because #1 is Mike Wallace who signed a frontloaded contract which will drop quickly below AJ's level.

If anything, should the Texans really be rebuilding and treat their entire roster objectively, trading Dre for a 3rd round pick, eat the cap money this year, is the most optimal strategy. It would save up ~$30mil in the next two years. A DeSean Jackson/Eric Decker type WR as replacement would cost only half that amount.

I'm not advocating trading AJ, but if he wants to leave, it would actually be mutually beneficial to both parties. And do Texans fans really want to see Andre finish his career on a couple of 6~8 win teams catching passes from Fitz or Savage?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because his contract makes him a prime candidate to be a cap casualty next season. His guaranteed dollars are running out quickly.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Actually I said it's not a "VERY" good example.

Reggie has been to a couple of super bowls and won one and he was in the playoffs practically every year of his career. Dre doesn't have those experiences. Just because you didn't ask that question doesn't mean those facts should be ignored.

And It may not be because he "wanted" to play with a rookie QB, maybe he just didn't care because he was in a situation rather win or lose he could just add to his career numbers and get paid while doing it. Indy gave Reggie a nice size contract at his age. 17.5 million for 3 years and if they don't cut him this year (and they probably won't), he may get every penny of it. It's not like Reggie has collected money in the NFL like Dre has. Reggie could have been more concerned about his personal gain than having success with a team since he has had plenty of that in his career unlike Dre, but hasn't been making money like Dre.

I just don't think Reggie is a "VERY" good example... But I didn't say it wasn't a good example at all because you're right. Both were around the same age facing a rebuilding process and Indy probably had more holes than the Texans at that time. But the comparison between the two doesn't stop there.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Your boy Pancakes has even said it's about the money.

10. rezdawg

There isnt one person on this board that has stated Travis Johnson's opinion is absolute truth. However, Travis Johnson has as many connections within the organization as possible, for someone that isnt currently on the roster or in the front office.

Let's not make stuff up.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Andre has $11.9mil in dead money if cut/traded this season. $7.3mil if cut/traded next season. Yes, that's so little money. In fact, that's only enough to sign a Pro-Bowl WR this offseason.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He said he doesn't thinks it about the money pimpn.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you realize how it works. He isn't a candidate this season because it would only clear up 3 mil or so in room but next season if he's cut it clears up 9 mil worth of cap space....you can do a lot with 9 mil. The season after that, they'd save 12 mil if they made him a cap casualty. The way it's structured, there's almost no chance that he'd see 2016 with the team meaning that even though he technically has almost 45 mil left on his deal, he'd never see most of it. THAT'S why he's upset. Up the guaranteed money making 12 mil of the 2015 salary guaranteed and 7 mil of his 2016 money guaranteed and you'd be surprised how quickly he'd be happy.

14. Remii

Remii Member

If Lovie or another proven head coach was brought in _ I don't think Dre would have said anything regardless of the quarterback situation. Or at least he wouldn't have made his feelings public and disrespected them like that. No way he does that to Lovie (or Gruden, etc).

Dre said he didn't go to the Texans about a contract or trade so that's good enough for me. If people want to take Travis Johnson's word on the situation over Dre's... Oh well.

And now you're hearing people say Dre is scared of getting cut next year... They must have forgot who the owner of this team is. McNair wouldn't do Dre like that if he was going about his business and still producing like he's always done.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pimpn im just going with the flow from now on. I've noticed I can't argue my point or voice my opinion if I don't believe in a certain character. But its ok for others to challenge my view point or question an reporter whose been in this industry for decades. Lol so these gents might be right on the money. Who knows, all I know is Andre never said it's about the money nor did he say it's about winning a Super Bowl. All everybody know is he is very unhappy with the direction this team is heading again. He is the last man standing since he is the only one left from 2002. I do however agree with you Remii because if we would have brought in a coach with a nice and tasty resume dudewouldn't have said what he said. He would have thought really hard about the season to come. Probably would have been motivated because he has a hof experienced coach who has made it to the big dance before. But hey everybody should have a right to their opinions and a lil more attentive to others opinions because realistically speaking we are all throwing out a quess. The only ones that know whats really going on is Dre and the Texans organization.

16. rezdawg

Nope, he actually said, "Its always about the money". Listen to the podcast with Nick and John.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The Texans don't look bad if they make it seem like AJ is all about the money. As opposed to AJ is upset having to go through a rebuilding process. Even though some think there is no such thing as a rebuilding year in the NFL lmao

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Define rebuilding. I guess some people would call replacing a horrific QB a rebuilding process.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Just dump him and get it over with, if he think's he's bigger than the team **** him. We aren't contending anytime soon anyway, may as well make an example of him keep the younger guys in check.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

A great player for many years here in Texas but f him. Look how quick the fans turn on a work horse. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.