1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why D&D will never change anyone's mind about anything

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 21, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...&utm_medium=tw&utm_campaign=20140519&mobify=0

Basically saying that if you have a strongly held belief, no amount of information will change it, you will simply discredit the information.

It is literally impossible to change a belief if it is ideological in nature.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't agree. I believe people are willing to change their positions, and anyone who disagrees with that just needs to wake up.

3. Mr. Brightside

What if one doesn't have strongly held beliefs about certain ideas/concepts?

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

By in large when it comes to topics like religion, politics, etc... People seek affirmation not information.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Are you trying to change my mind about this?

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Then they will change. That's basically what the research showed. The more core the belief is to how you see the world, the less likely anyone will believe the truth.

No wonder people had such a hard time believing the earth was round.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I read that article recently too. Depends on how much they shape your world view. You will change your mind about using synthetic oil more more easily than whether extraterrestrial life exists.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

****ing confirmatory bias, how does it work?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Member

I think a strong personal impact will change a mind pretty quickly.

10. Depressio

Depressio Member

So what you're saying is that the D&D can change someone's opinion about something as long as it's not a firmly held belief. So... your title about not changing anyone's mind about anything isn't quite accurate.

Hopefully I changed your mind about that being a quality title.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

It is very difficult, but it's quite obviously not "literally impossible," as there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people swinging between ideological extremes. Hell, wasn't Reagan a liberal when he was young?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

...which is why, if people were brainwashed to believe something from their early childhood (like the crazy death cult ideology), no matter how much their intellect and all the evidence tells them it's stupid, they have such a hard time accepting the evidence. They would rather shoot, bomb or online-flame the messenger.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It probably relies as much on introspection away from a live exchange when sub-rational survival and defense mechanisms are deactivated, but of course one's opinions can be changed by another's argument. Like the initial shift from apathy to advocacy when opinions are originally formed, changing them only necessitates a shift in priorities.

14. Orange

Orange Member

I strongly disagree. I was a hardcore republican until I started reading what republicans on here like bigtexxx and people on facebook would write. The racism was so bad that I told myself why the hell am I going to vote with people who hate me. As the years have gone by I see how r****ded the republican party is and how being a democrat is morally correct.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't venture into D&D very often. But, I don't see many of those people in D&D. D&D doesn't seem to attract people that want to listen or learn.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Only thing I can discern from this is that you really are orange.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've changed my stance on issues because of a the DD. That being said, I'm fairly moderate on many issues so I'm only dogmatic about certain issues.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

My stance on abortion has changed a bit.
    But that's considering how controversial abortions are.
    There are no winners in that debate.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

I think one must realize that many here are just trolls trying to get a rise out of people...on both sides.