1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rajon Rondo reportedly ‘more available now than ever before’

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tested911, May 16, 2014.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

Rajon Rondo reportedly ‘more available now than ever before’

Rajon Rondo is competing with Kobe Bryant, DeMarcus Cousins and Andre Drummond as the best player on a sub-30-win team.

It’s not exactly an ideal place – for the player or the team.

Rondo surely wants to play for a better team than last year’s Celtics, and the Celtics surely want to put a better team around him. Same with Kobe and the Lakers, Cousins and the Kings, Drummond and the Pistons. But the timing of those rebuilds can be difficult, especially with good players helping to keep their team from landing too high in the lottery.

So, inevitably, trade discussions arise. Kobe, Cousins and Drummond are all – for now at least – entrenched with their current teams on multi-year contracts. So, they’re not on the market the same way.

Rondo, on the other hand, has a contract that expires after next season.

Steve Bulpett of The Boston Herald:

But what we’ve been hearing for a while and in more concerted tones here is that Rajon Rondo may be more available now than ever before.

The Celts’ president of basketball operations, as well, dismissed talk of Rondo’s obtainability.

“That’s all speculation,” Ainge said. “Those aren’t facts. People don’t know that, so it’s just people speculating on Rondo’s free agency next summer. That’s all that you’re hearing. You’re not hearing any facts from anybody. Those conversations haven’t even been discussed, so that’s just speculation.”

Danny Ainge also shot down a report by Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, which said, the Knicks “snubbed a trade that would’ve brought Rajon Rondo to New York.” Regardless of the report’s accuracy, Ainge would likely scoff anyway to protect Rondo’s feelings.

But that can last only so long.

Ainge can deny any of this all he wants. If he’s not exploring Rondo trades, he’s making a mistake.

Rondo, 28, is young enough to still be very good when the Celtics next get good. They, ideally, should be patient with him and make him a key piece of their next team designed to win (unlike this year’s tank squad).

However, Rondo doesn’t necessarily share that patience. He can bolt in a free agency, and Boston losing him for nothing would be a major setback. Ainge must weigh the odds he can re-sign Rondo against what Rondo would fetch in a trade before next year’s trade deadline.

That’s, as Ainge said, speculation by me. It should also be reality for him.

I think this is the only option in terms of "Big" free name agents available for the Rockets to pursue. Obviously not really free w/ 1 year remaining but looks like he can be had for the right price.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

depends on what is cost

Rocket River
    beyond d12 . . . very few are safe

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

All i know is...boston aint getting 2 1st rounders and two really good players for a post ACL tear aging player. Fleecing us like the Nyets isn't going to happen.

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Give us Rondo.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The thing with Rondo is, since he will be a FA in 2015, the question is how much is the other team going to give up to get Rondo? Rondo is not going to stick around on a bad team post 2015 so those teams aren't going to offer up a lot of assets for him.

The question is who are the suitors? The good teams (that Rondo would re-sign with) that have a decent asset package to offer?

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Take Lin and Asik with a 1st and 2nd round draft pick for Rondo.

That's about all I'm willing to spend on a possible one year rental, even though I like Rondo even with James Harden still in the backcourt. I actually believe Rondo's defense could help mask some of Harden's deficiencies until he improves in that depratment.

7. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Rondo + Green for Lin, Asik, Dmo, picks

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

He's gonna be a Rocket. Seems obvious to me. They aren't going into next season with Beverly/Lin as their PG options.

He's best available.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think they need to re-project their projected win totals.

11. Sanity2disChaos

It seems the Rockets are wanting to upgrade the PG position before they tackle the PF spot....Rondo seems very likely but shouldn't cost more than Asik and a Pick due to his one year left and the injury he is just coming back from. I have seen Rondo and Green as players being traded but honestly think Bass would be a better fit and could battle T.Jones for starter minutes , all the while teaching him how to play the position like a true PF.

I think a roster of

Rondo
    Harden
    Parsons
    Bass
    Howard

...is pretty damn good

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

theyre going to demand parsons no matter what, so unless we are willing to dump parsons before his big payday, we arent getting rondo

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rondo for Parsons + Lin? I could do that, and then trade Asik for some other asset (a starting small forward, I suppose). Asik and Parsons for Rondo might be a bit rich.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Boston is interested in 2 1st rounders as well, or one unprotected lotto. Ainge is insane if he ever thinks he's going to get that much.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Done Deal!!!!!! No take backs Case Closed :grin:

16. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Once we get Rondo, we can convince Pierce to sign for the vet min!

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Willing to trade anyone except Harden/Howard.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I... actually like the sound of that.

19. NotChandlerParsons

I have no clue what that means, since they've been offering him for trade basically every year since he signed his extension.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I'd rather Lowry.