1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Self Defense classes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, May 15, 2014.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Can anyone recommend places in Houston for real-life self defense training? Five years ago, I couldn't find an academy that suited me. I wonder (hope) things have changed, and that someone here might know of a place or instructor.

The problem with Houston were the numerous 'TKD belt-mills', hybrid gyms that lacked thorough SD training, or combat sport facilities for MMA fans. So, I took a few Krav Maga classes in NYC. The instructor there was the highest ranked in the US, and he was personally taught by the founder and grandmaster of the system. That place was the real deal. However, my work schedule was an encumbrance to flying up there often enough so I stopped.

I'm open to any fighting system that uses a few, yet simple skills that are easily mastered for real-world situations. My priority is to strike quickly and run away to safety. Searching Yelp and Google reviews has been unhelpful so far.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Just move.... it's less expensive. :p

#2 SwoLy-D, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I took one at Baylor. Learned some good, simple moves if I was to be attacked by a drunk guy. LOL.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Work on running at the gym.

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Ok this made laugh. Thank you.

7. dragician

dragician Member

this, and get a pair asics shoes ;)

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Not a fan of the personalities and real estate prices.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There's a building in Spring off I-45 that has a big Krav Maga sign on it. I'm guessing they teach the classes.

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I come from the self defense school of Bobby Hill. It is a great martial art and highly effective.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tJl3ZAg6mj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

just kick the dudes in their nuts

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm in the same boat. I'm not interested in McDojos and there are a lot of them in Houston. I've done a lot of research into this, if you're interested in Krav Maga the best location in the city is in Katy. What side of town are you on?

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sternum is SO hot right now!

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Krav Maga is not worth your time. Just take some Muay Thai classes to start. If you really want to get into it take some Judo, Brazilian Jiujitsu, or MMA classes. Just remember that in a street fight you can eye gouge, throat punch, groin kick, and all that good stuff. At one of the BJJ schools I went to they had a good self defense style class that practiced the stand up game and the movements of all those "dirty" tactics. Like if you get a Muay Thai clinch then immediately eye gouge with your thumbs and knee to the groin. That will **** someone up quick and allow you to get away.

15. downbytheriver

My ex wife came home one day with the exact same story about wanting to take self defense classes. I told her you can take em if you really enjoy combat, but for defense , just carry pepper spray in an easy to remove location and always be alert. She went with the pepper spray option. Lived in Tomball at the time so always had my gun ay home.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If anyone knows of a Combatives gym on the north side, let me know.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My mom was worried about safety and wanted to get a conceal and carry license. The problem with a gun is that you have to be willing to use it. Shooting someone is no joke, but you can pepper spray/mace the **** out of someone all day without thinking about it. She ended up just getting pepper spray.

Oh and if any of you guys have never been hit with mace that stuff sucks....bad! I think I was like 13 or 14 and one of my friends accidentally sprayed it in my eyes. I had my eyes under a hose for the next half hour. You will immobilize your target quickly if you use it.

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I recommend the classes at Top Gun.

Self-defence Texas style.

Murica.

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I already have firearms at my house for personal protection. I want to take self defense classes because I travel overseas to countries where owning a gun, knife, or even mace is illegal. In the last few years, despite being alert I've been stabbed, punched, and have objects thrown at me. BJJ/MT/Krav training might've prevented that hence my desire to take classes.

That being said, I'll take another look at pepper spray for foreign countries that do allow it.

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member

McDojos. I like that haha.

I just read about the Katy Krav Maga location. This instructor was personally taught by Eyal Yanilov. This is more what I'm looking for, thank you.