1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that ______ has been eliminated from the playoffs...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, May 4, 2014.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

...what areas can they improve upon, to not follow the same fate next year? Or, what positions do they need to strengthen?

Charlotte: I thought Kemba was going to be a 1b type player for them, with Big Al being 1a. I was wrong - Kemba probably needs another year to become a solid hybrid. They need some more offense - MKG and Biyombo are only good on one side of the ball.

Dallas: Monta has been great, and Dallas had a solid bench, but their core is aging. Dirk, Vince, Marion.

Atlanta: They came really close to beating Indy, all without Horford, their best player. Mike Scott has really come on, as has Antic. They seem like the Denver Nuggets of the East - no superstar players, but a very good all-around team. I honestly can't see any glaring weaknesses, when Horford gets back. Their bench needs addressing, though.

GSW: Like Atlanta, they didn't have their 5 for their series. Bogut might have stifled Jordan from getting 24637 rebounds a game. Who knows. They could use another defensive 5, since O'Neal is likely to retire from the league.

Houston: McHale. Moving on.

Memphis: ZBo might have cost Memphis a legit shot at beating OKC in game 7. They need offense in the worst way. Not someone who jacks up shots like Gay, but someone in the mold of Korver and Redick - a guy you can count on to hit shots, but won't take all of them.

Toronto: Valanciunas was supposed to have something of a breakout year, this year. I think he averaged 18/8 around the end of the regular season, in 2013. Like ATL, they could use some bench help. Starters are solid, though.

Chicago: They need offense. Even when Rose comes back, they need more options. If he's the only option, Rose might exert himself too much again, and get injured. Again.

What do you guys think?

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Where does BKN go from here? Pierce and KG might have...1...more year?

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pierce is a UFA. If he's smart he'll stay with BKN

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

1 more year to do what? If it's to play meaningful minutes of productive NBA basketball, then not unless they get on dat HGH time.

5. shastarocket

Shaun Livingston is also a UFA. I think he deserves about $3mill/yr

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nah, Truth can still produce. Plus, they're playing in the East, so you know BKN will be back in the EC playoffs next year, barring a complete catastrophe.

But Garnett is just done. If anyone should step away from the game of basketball, it's him.

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Brook lopez should be back next swason so kg mints would be limited. livingston fits with that team ptetty good after bouncing around the league.

Atlanta will be better next yr also i think.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Portland: They can go **** themselves.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

"They're a middle of the road team" - Chuck on the Nets.

Garnett is done.
    Pierce is a free agent. I can't limit myself to just Brooklyn if I'm him.(I'd actually look to move on.)
    Lopez is coming off a foot injury. (Just 96 games over the last 3 seasons.)
    Deron Williams can't be counted on and is way overpaid at this point.

Free agents: Paul Pierce, Shaun Livingston, Jason Collins
    Player options: Andrei Kirilenko, Andray Blatche, Alan Anderson

They've already reached their ceiling with this team--2nd round at best.

10. mingthething

mingthething Member

Wow. You're like the Dead Sea.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Completely agreed. This might have been the best example of an "All In" team I've ever seen.

12. shastarocket

Speaking of the Nyets, how high of a ceiling does Teletovic have? He stepped up when his number was called and found his niche in a team full of future hall of famers.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Brook lopez could also be back in a suit next year... That is probably very likely

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Pretty good analysis.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I like what Clifford is doing up their if he can get either (of course BOTH would be a blessing) MKG or Biyombo to live up to their potential I can see the Hornets becoming one of those teams that will always make the playoffs but nothing past the second round. Similar to the Joe Johnson/Josh Smith Hawks team. This team needs some more talent surrounding Jefferson and Kemba - hopefully they will be able to find it in the draft if MKG and Biyombo do not continue developing.

Pretty much it - Dallas I think has hit it ceiling and will be falling out of the playoff race in the west - they barely made it this year and the majority of their players are in the twilight of their career. Dirk still had a great season and probably still has two more years of like 18/8 in him but if Monta is going to be your best player - your team isnt going that far. If they are able to land a major FA this offseason they could bounce back but there hasn't really been a clamoring of players wanting to go to dallas.

I really like the job Budenholzer has done and that team played Indy really well and tough despite not having Horford. They have some pieces but they are really missing that 'star' player. If they are able to find that star then I really do think Atlanta is on the rise in the east to being a top 3 team.

That bench is a mess - needs to be fixed. I am not sure how much Kerr will and can do - I expect them to still make the playoffs but maybe a step back. The contract of Klay will hurt their flexibility and they do not have any picks to trade either thanks to the ones they sent to the Jazz to dump Jefferson and Biedrins. They will still be a top team in the west along though with the talent they have but Barnes needs to play better this upcoming year.

Bench and most importantly coaching

How much longer will Memphis work? Randolph turns 33 this year and while his game is not on athleticism whatsoever - its hard to see them being them being a top 4 seed (which if Gasol was healthy I feel they would have been) - some of their core rotation guys - Randolph, Allen, Miller, Prince are all going to be 32 or older at the start of next season. There hasnt really been an infusion of younger talent or rookies playing to help support the vets there. I do think last season was probably their best chances to make the finals. I can see Hollinger tearing it down to rebuild around Gasol asap instead of trying to stay mediocre.

they have a lot of free agents to worry about - namely Lowry. I loved how they played towards the end there and feel that they have something going in Toronto - Ujiri's plan of tanking and rebuilding had a huge wrench thrown in it - now to see whether or not he'll stick to it. Clearly the city will throw its immense support behind the team as we saw in the playoffs. They are still a few pieces away from really challenging Indiana or Miami in the east though. I can see Ujiri getting those role players though (sign Ariza away from Wash?)

Everything will depend on rose but they need another player that can score 20 points in his sleep. Their lack of offense was down right scary really.

As for some other teams:

Portland: Despite everything I do like Lillard and Aldridge - they desperately need some bench help. I do believe it was semi "fools gold" how they were able to play this year relying heavily on the starters and had amazing health doing so. I can see that easily backfiring on them and if anyone is out for an extended period of time you saw how quickly their entire team goes down hill. The good news is they do have some young talent that can develop into solid bench contributers in McCollum, Robinson and Freeland. Stotts got his extension but will he be able to make sure these guys develop and used? Remains to be seen.

Nets: Brook Lopez being out hurt them - they still have a good core with Williams, Johnson and Lopez but how healthy will Lopez be? He has been hurt more than healthy the last few seasons. Will Deron Williams go back to being the one of the top 2 PGs in the league the way he was in Utah? Garnett should retire - it was beyond painful to see him play this year, either he was hurt or something because the drop off in his play was embarassing. Pierce is a free agent - I am not sure if he will retire or not - he still has another 2 seasons at most left in him. The Nets gave up whatever picks they have to get them - its going to hurt their franchise - they'll be the new Hawks of the east -- always making the playoffs never making it past the second round.

1 person likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Washington has a great starting 5. But that bench needs a lot of work. I'm really hoping Otto Porter becomes mentioned next year for the MIP. Dude was pretty hyped in the draft - definitely needs to develop.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Now that the Pacers got eliminated...

"We want home court." - Had it, didn't matter.

Need a PG but they got George Hill on the book at $8 mil for 3 more years.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Pacers need an ISO player that can create offense of himself and others. George is a good player but he is not a number 1 option.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Doug Collins just hit the nail on the head. They need a better PG.

I'm sorry but Jeremy Lin comes to mind.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Paul George for James Harden.

Pacers get much needed offense and Rockets get much needed defense. McHale and Bird help each other once again.

Perfect trade!