1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Draft Combine (and future important dates)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Voice of Aus, May 12, 2014.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Just saw on draft express that the comine is May 14th which seemed to come out of nowhere, just making a thread for any news or thoughts/opinions that comes out of the combine and also upcoming draft dates

heres a list of the participants
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/NBA">@NBA</a> just releases the official NBA Draft Combine list. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBADraft&amp;src=hash">#NBADraft</a> <a href="http://t.co/0H18YMVuxE">pic.twitter.com/0H18YMVuxE</a></p>&mdash; NBA Draft (@TheNBADraft) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheNBADraft/statuses/465932157353873409">May 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    however
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid and Jabari Parker will skip the Combine. Adreian Payne &amp; Mitch McGary out with injuries. (via <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider">@chadfordinsider</a>)</p>&mdash; NBA Draft (@TheNBADraft) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheNBADraft/statuses/465931313275363329">May 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    and
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Randle, Exum, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, McDermott, Stauskas unlikely to participate in drills at NBA Draft Combine</p>&mdash; Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/statuses/465923629230727168">May 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

Remaining dates up until draft day
    May 14-18: NBA Draft Combine (Chicago)
    May 20: NBA Draft Lottery
    June 16: NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline (5:00 pm ET)
    June 26: 2014 NBA Draft
    From DraftExpress.com
    http://www.draftexpress.com

and following all of this
    July 5-11 -- Orlando Summer League
    July 11-21 -- Las Vegas Summer League (rockets apparently going to vegas this year instead of Orlando)
    from nba.com
    http://www.nba.com/news/important-dates/

thankfully for everyone Thanasis antetokounmpo will finally be able to prove his quickness

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

Exum is the next Kobe, player of generation

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Going to be a very good draft with nice prospects all the way to early second round.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am surprised by the absence of Aaric Murray (TSU center).

5. ironariza

ironariza Member

Thanks OP

I love you so much

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Call me a hoops nerd, but I actually really love watching the combine. There are so many subtle things you can catch there about prospects that make a ton of sense years down the road.

Things like body language, interactions with coaches, hustle in practice, actual size, etc. are things that you dont really see in edited YouTube clips.

7. Voice of Aus

agreed, i got into it last year, cody zeller was the player that impressed me enough in the combine.

8. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

hey voa, any thought on exum since youre from australia? ever seen him play?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Check other draft threads, VOA even played against Exum a few times.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

Man all the players I wanted to see are opting out!

11. Buck Turgidson

Just tell me who is the quickest.

12. Voice of Aus

i have played against him a few times over the last few years. last time was probs late 2012.

amazing talent, best player i have ever seen as a junior,and even better guy off the court by all reports. wasn't the best 3 point shot last time i saw but still good enough to command respect, best attributes would be his athleticism and his awareness to make passes

i hope he avoids LA.

also side note although it wont seem like it at all, i would of loved to see how he stacks up in the weights room, apparently he is sneaky strong.

also spoke to his mentor in aus (luke longey, 3x champ with the bulls jordan era) and said he has progressed just as he is projected to getting much better with his shot and man to man defence

13. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Interesting. So far I have conservative view on him based on all the analysis I've seen. Is he a true PG who can run the offense?

14. Voice of Aus

I think he will end up being the new age superstar point guard, much like a mash up of westbrock/rose/Lawson who can get to the bucket easily (although Exum use to have a crappy left hand, not sure now) and still have the ability to set guys up.

I hate the MJ comparison that i see sometimes, he is explosive but in a point guards way and also can run a team like you asked.

He would be considered a safer pick than randle and embed IMO, and for me is in a 3 way tie with Jabari and wiggins. Basically should just come down to team need

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I like your optimism, and also hope to see a rising star.

What I found interesting is how similar Exum is to Tony Wroten. I compared their phisical attributes, age before draft, and Wroten's stats in college vs Exum's stats in U19 championships(similar age for these stats). Honestly I can't believe how close their playing style and stats are.

Just to mention a few, both 18 years before draft, 6"6' in shoes with 6"9' wingspan, PG/SG goes to the line a lot and shoots around 60% there, struggles to shoot from outside with below average mechanism, can rebound/steal/block well for a guard, very good athleticism, High TO rates...

There're minor difference here and there(Exum shoots and passes a little better, but Wroten has slightly better reb/stl/blk rate in tougher NCAA), and remember Wroten was once considered a top5 prospect of the country in high school and got a triple double against us this season...But Wroten was taken very late in the draft after his decent freshman year with faded hype.

Overall I do think Exum could be a star, but his future relies on his true PG skills and further improvement of shooting ability. I'm also curious to see his measurements from the combine.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcus Smart has interviewed with Houston, Toronto, Lakers, Phoenix and Denver.</p>&mdash; A. Sherrod Blakely (@SherrodbCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/SherrodbCSN/statuses/466963009982976002">May 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

Measurements

#16 J.R., May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  17. downbytheriver

Not sure how Houston would trade into the top 10 to get Marcus Smart, seeing how they interviewed him. Are parsons and asik good enough for that?

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thanasis with 0.0% body fat, ironariza was right, the guy is a machine.

19. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

The Rockets always do their due dillegence

20. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

A backcourt of Smart and Harden? I love my boy Harden, but that would be too much flopping on one team lol.