1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Rockets making a big mistake not bringing in Stan Van Gundy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wiseguyX, May 13, 2014.

1. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

Golden State and Detroit are fighting over him. He is possibly the best available and somewhat proven option out there right now. Rockets could try and fix any of the drama still left between him and Dwight. And I think he would choose the Rockets over any of the other teams. Plus he knows Dwight better than anyone currently on the Rockets staff.

What if the Rockets are in the exact same position around this time next season, actually looking for a coach, and can't find anyone as good?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well...technically, McHale is already coming back, so there's no decision to make at this point.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Uh no.

Giving complete control to SVG is a huge mistake.

4. Raven

Raven Member

The media claims he wants full control. If true, he'd never agree to coach for Les because, Morey.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yes they are if there was a decision to be made. Like all good coaches though, he would be at odds with Morey, which is why we are bringing the worst coach in the NBA back .

1 person likes this.
  6. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

Unless I missed any official Rockets announcement about the re-signing of Mchale, I still don't believe he will be back.

And I think Morey could negotiate with SVG about the full control. I trust them in coming together with what's best for the team in future decisions.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

lol... now THAT would be entertaining... not sheriff srs

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think you are completely wrong on this. If the Rockets were going to fore McHale, it would have happened by now. And Morey is not going to give up control of the team.

9. conquistador#11

we need yes sirs to fan and feed morley grapes. stan does not qualify.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Uhhh there is a 0% chance.

Detroit giving him full control which would never happen here.
    Golden State is more appealing to him (no Dwight who got him fired from Orlando and he's from the Bay)

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I feel like someone has tried the Dwight and Stan Van Gundy experiment before and it failed. If I recall correctly one of them got the other fired... Hmmm....

12. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

They would have to fire Morey, so no.

13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I would rather bring Thibodeau to Houston

14. anchel

anchel Member

Not only SVG.
    Are the Rockets making a big mistake staying with McHale?

15. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Yes and no.

Yes they are making a mistake by not bringing in a new / better coach.

No they are not making a mistake by not going after SVG because even if they did, we couldn't beat the Pistons offer. Its the coach's dream job to coach and have full control of the team. No way he takes a regular coaching job when there is a team allowing him to coach and sign/trade. No way he doesn't take that offer.

I'm worried about who the Warriors will land. If they get a good coach, they will be better than us next year. I think Kerr is using them for leverage to make more $ in NY. He will eventually sign there... the Warriors will look at Karl, Mcmillain, Hoiberg, Calipari, Ollie, and Hollins... if they get any of them we are in trouble.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It doesn't matter what coach we get. Morey has gone full r****d trying to coach this team. He has his yes man along with the yes fans here.

1 person likes this.
  18. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I was just going to say this. We won't win jack with this Morey ball. No really good coach would come here to be a yes man. Hope he realizes that the STYLE of play can't work in playoffs. He has to get a coach with x's and o's.

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

The best available coach right now is Hollins (for the rockets)

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Don't want Stan or his brother. Just imagining holding a team to 80 points but scoring 75 a night is a giant nightmare. The Van Gundy's know they're defense, but like to micro manage the offense. Not gonna work. All the top teams have free flowing offenses. The Van Gundy's are anti free flowing offense.

George Karl>SVG

Plus Dwight would prolly hang himself with the thought of the ghost of SVG coming back to coach him again. Trainwreck waiting to happen