1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would take a LOT more than just Mallett to get Andre

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> aware of Andre Johnson's stance, he said. &quot;We’ve talked. They understand how I feel.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NFL&amp;src=hash">#NFL</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/statuses/466299223378362369">May 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a>' Andre Johnson: &quot;I just look at my career. ... I've only been to the playoffs twice.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NFL&amp;src=hash">#NFL</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/statuses/466299772416978944">May 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andre Johnson made it clear this isn't about his contract (which he restructured last year). It's about the state of the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> after 2-14.</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/statuses/466300047366184960">May 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Im surely a Andre Johnson fan, and want him to get that elusive ring. His best chance would be to go to a team like Seattle or the 49ers. He best chance to get his stats and be dominant with a team like New England or New Orleans.

If the Texans can find a suitor, I say give him his leave. He has done everything for this city, but we are officially in a rebuild mode on this team. I cant blame a guy who is 33 and still productive for getting a chance to play for a HOF.

I really like the New Orleans situation for Dre, bc he would get to be as productive as he is here in Houston. The New England situation would be next, bc Revis and Andre going at each other in practice will make each other better. Seattle would be next, bc the Seahawks could use a #1 option. 49ers are last, bc they have too many receivers, but rarely use them. I excluded Denver from the convo bc i dont know if they can even financially afford Dre.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I really do wonder why Texans fans believe teams would care to line up to get Andre Johnson like he's a hot commodity. At the risk of pissing people off, he's old, has an injury history, and is SEVERELY overpaid. No one says anything about his enormous contract when discussing the Texans cap issues, but throughout his career he makes more money than many teams pay their top 2 receivers.

As much as I love Andre Johnson as a player, he's

A) Already being paid very generously by the Texans throughout his career and especially right now.

B) Needs to show that he truly "wants to win" by actually taking a deal that is in line with his production. If he wants to go to a winner? Sure. Restructure the deal so he's not making ungodly money and I'm sure all contenders would love to add him.

Until then, just shut up and play. The Texans been quite accommodating to his monetary needs for the entirety of his career. Had AJ played for a team like the Patriots, he'd have been cut and replaced by a younger, much cheaper player already.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Keep him in conference. Watch the Texans and Fitz get hot and knock out the team that he gets traded too.

I'd trade him to Cleveland for Josh Gordon or Cincy for one of there ILB!!!

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, that's funny. You do realize that he's still a top 2 or 3 WR in the league right?

7. tmacfor35

While that is true, he is getting older.

If the Texans can get a good ILB in a trade or "Josh Gordon" than I would do it.

8. Indaface

Indaface Member

I love Dre but he's not at that level anymore. He's still top 10 though and for his age that's awesome.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Did we not know this during draft time? Would have been nice to know. Not that I would trust Rick Smith to address it properly, but still....

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see a trade happening, I think he'll get in line eventually. It's funny when players pull this BS though, they end up hurting themselves more than anything. If he wants to win, he should be in camp helping the young guys get better. Instead he's whining like a punk. There's no way he's going anywhere, so he might as well do what he can to make the team better.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Let's be honest here. The Texans never had Andre in mind at all.

McNair has a new favorite and his name is JJ Watt. They made that clear this offseason.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Andre isn't going anywhere. He's having an NFL mid-life crisis. The Texans were supposed to compete for a Superbowl last year and they ended up the worst team in the league and ditched their HC and QB. For AJ, that has to be absolutely devastating. He's the most tenured guy in that building other than Bob McNair, let alone in the lockerroom. He is coming to grips with all that. It's hard. But he'll soldier on. He always does. He can go chase a ring after his current deal is up.

13. tmacfor35

Johnson deserves better.

Can't blame how he feels. He is acting childish but I will always give him a free pass! Lol!

14. REEKO_HTOWN

I hope he doesn't fall for this crap anymore. It's like watching a battered wife.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He shouldn't have extended. He did so that's on him. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. Also, Texans don't "owe" him anything. Some of the all time greats never won anything. OJ, Marino, Gonzales, Barry, and a whole bunch more...

BOB is all about team. I'm sure he's not happy about 'Dre being a little b**** and sulking. I say IF you can make the team better via trade them trade him. But the trade needs to be the best for Texans not for 'Dre.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yes, actually...his numbers would remain the same, except with like 20 more career TDs.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Fall for what crap?

18. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

What do you expect from the guy? Why show up to voluntary workouts when nobody has a clue who the starting QB will be.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

A decade of mismanagement, good ole boy, character first, win the right way, patience is a virtue bull****.

20. Indaface

Indaface Member

How about bringing in one of his boys last year that he was pushing for just to have that guy rob this team of millions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.