1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets brass planning to discuss bringing in Mike Brown as an assistant to help defensive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 12, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

Mike brown. A man who would be coaching 7th grade girls softball if he never had a player called lebron James. les deserves better than the incompetent Morey and McHale

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and as i've already told you before, newbies such as yourself are far too satisfied with mediocrity. there is no bright side to first round exits. there's no bright side to finishing 2nd either. if this franchise isn't committed all-out to winning titles then i and many others here will complain as much and as long we want. if u don't like it then woe is u.

3. Solaris

Solaris Member

So the Rockets will be the new fakers?

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

To talk about the Rockets. After the disappointing end to this season, to have interesting discussion about what moves might be made this offseason. How we might shore up our weaknesses before next season. To chat with other fans about the remaining playoff series. Etcetera. I would feel differently about this if we didn't already know McHale was returning for next season. But he is, and we do. This forum has been full of McHale-is-an-idiot-fire-him threads/posts for 2 seasons, and so are Morey's twitter mentions. Yet, they are bringing him back this season. I would simply be more interested in talking about how the team could improve in spite of the fact that he's returning, rather than staying so stuck on the fact that he will be back.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I hate to break it to you but the organization doesn't care what you think.

Dwight came here because of McHale and wanted to be featured offensively in the post, which is what happened. If Dwight supported McHale, he is gonna stay. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

6. KlutchQT

Show me where I said I was satisfied. I'll wait.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Oh god. One 'motivator' (i.e. bonehead) as the head coach is enough, we want to bring in another one, a guy whose best offensive strategy was 'give LeBron ball, pray'? True, he built a great defensive team, but we don't just need that. We need a guy who can actually be relied upon to call the correct play and hold players accountable. Can Mike Brown hold ANYBODY accountable? He's been fired so many times already, I'm not sure he can even hold himself accountable.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Here are a couple stats comparing the Cavs defense from last year with this year.

Last year opponent FG%: 30th. Dead last.

This year opponent FG%: 12th.

Last year defensive rtg: 27th.

This year defensive rtg: 19th

The Cavs were always going to be a bad team. But Mike Brown DID improve the defense in one season.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I would love to get him back in any capacity! Unfortunately I don't think he would accept being an assistant coach, but like you said, you never know! I think that the Rockets will probably go after someone who not only has a legit defensive background, but also someone who won't pose a challenge to McHale's position/authority!...:(

BRING BACK JVG!!!

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

The spurs have a god team (talent) for 10 years. Yes, Pop is a good coach but those players are very talented over there and fit their system. It's not just becasue of Pop coaching.

Bulls have not won anything. Thibs is a good coach motivator, but they have not won anything with him. Sorry.

We need better players on the team (PERIOD). This team, as currently constructed, is not a real contender. Or young leader still needs to grow up into a complete player, our young role players need to get better and gain more experience, and we need a couple of better bench players before we are REAL contenders. We do those things and Mchale will seem like a better coach.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not so sure mike malone wasn't actually responsible for that team's success on D

12. Houston_Rockets

Your point is that opinions are worthless if repeated by a lot of people because nothing will change.
    My point is that unique opinions are worthless because they will not change anything.

I didn´t say McHale is garbage. What I said is that it makes 0 sense in having a super assisting team surrounding a mediocre coach. Now if McHale was here for another year, and were not making a big fuss about getting a great assisting support, I would disagree with the premise, but atleast DM would be consistent.

The problem is that a very smart guy, that actually makes decisions, has come out and say that "coaching is not a huge differentiating factor" and then he wants to have an elite assistant team surrounding a below average coach (atleast).

After what I stated, am I not allowed to call out Darryl Morey?

1 person likes this.
  13. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Interesting. I honestly don't care about the reputation behind the name Mike Brown. All I care about is the Rockets improving defensively, and if Mike Brown is capable of making the Rockets better defensively so be it! If he's the best option we have then I'll take it. If there are better guys out there then he won't get the job. It's simple.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, pay him well enough and he'll agree to a contract without an opt-out like Kelvin Sampson has.

Besides, it would be stupid for the NBA team to hire Mike Brown as a head coach anyway. Not so much that he is bad necessarily, but there are too many coaches named Mike in recent years and teams should give non-Mikes a chance for a change.

Brown, D'Antoni, Malone, Budenholzer, Dunlap, Woodson... How many more must there be?

15. bmd

bmd Member

You don't think Pop deserves a lot of credit for getting players to play a certain way and also developing players?

And the Bulls have had a lot of trouble with injuries since Thibs has been coach of the Bulls. They have no star player except for the one who has been hurt for 2 years. When Rose was healthy, they were a legitimate threat to take out the Heat.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

been here less than a year, yet want to dictate the subject and content of posts here :confused:

17. KlutchQT

I could be wrong, but I get the impression Morey is doing what he can. Everything that has leaked media-wise suggests that Les is the one who wants to give McHale another year. Maybe Morey is on that train and maybe he isn't -- but unless we hear that he is, I don't know what more he can do other than try to surround McHale with elite-level assistants. It's definitely not the ideal situation, but I don't see any better alternative given that they are dead-set on giving McHale another season.

18. KlutchQT

I give less than a damn about how long you've been here, to be clear. And I'm not trying to dictate anything. Someone asked me a question and I answered it. Period.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

as a defensive assistant coach, why not? he got the cavs to play D and thats what helped them get to the Finals that one year. And some guy named Lebron helped too

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If that's what you want to talk about then create a thread and I will be right there with you, but you will probably see me in the Mchale is an idiot threads too, lol.