1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For people crying about the obvious. (James Harden speaks on his defense)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, May 10, 2014.

1. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

He said defence was his main focus last off-season. Words are cheap. His problem is making the effort and moving his feet laterally. What a dumbass Harden is. I believe it when I see it. And YO Harden... STOP CHUCKING!

2. peter1989212

peter1989212 Member

It's easier to say than actually do it

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

For people NOT crying about the obvious... learn basketball!!

4. torocan

torocan Member

Effort isn't a talent, it's a habit.

Just like your parents are often the most influential in determining your work habits, Coaches can heavily impact consistency of effort by pushing their players to stay focused and holding them accountable when they lose focus.

It's human nature to not always put forth maximum effort. It's easy to be completely focused when you're doing something you truly enjoy (like scoring). It's much harder to keep that focus when you're doing something that feels more like work (rotating on defense and contesting).

Yes, some players are such perfectionists that they'll strive to be the best at both ends. Credit that to their pride, work ethic, and good habits. However, most players aren't like that -- they need their team mates and coaches to help maintain their focus and do the "dirty work".

The best Coaches don't let you slide. They don't give you a pass on one end because you're great on the other. They demand that you play your best whenever you're on the court, and are willing to punish you (sit your butt down, chew you out) when you don't. They also are able to communicate in ways that help you understand Why talent is not enough to get it done.

Young players often operate under the assumption that they can coast all season and "turn it on" during the play offs. Great coaches push them to have it "on" all season, and then push them to take it to an even higher level when the play offs roll around.

Harden is lazy because he has bad habits, and unfortunately there's nobody that's going to be holding him accountable.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What can Bruce Bowen really do? Tell him the same thing that McHale is always saying. Play harder, play harder.

Harden knows how to play defense, he just has to make the effort to do it.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

I understand Mchale is an easy target around here but blaming him for Harden defense is pathetic. Mchale probably could bench him I guess but Harden is a terrible defender because he is lazy and lacks focus. Most of the time he is just looking at the ball and not paying any attention to his man which explains why he gets beat back door so much.

1 person likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's how the entire offense works though. There is no movement with whoever gets the ball.

Defense is MORE about knowledge and experience than effort. Trust me on this. Beverly gives his all on defense and it makes him a decent defender, Parsons does to and it barely makes him decent...but you actually have to know what you are doing and you have to know who you are guarding. That's what makes you a great defender.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets have sent a strong message to Harden about playing defense by firing his enabler Dean Cooper. Harden knows that it is now or never for him. Either he plays D or he gets benched and traded to a crap team.

9. onreego

onreego Member

Guys like Battier and Bowen rely less on athleticsm and more on strategy. While they can't teach him effort Bowen at least could show Harden how to defend smarter.

However it will be up to James to apply that skillset on a consistent basis.

10. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Are you kidding me? Bruce bowen is a perimeter defensive savant. There's alot more to defense than just staying in front of people.

Kevin McHale was a PF on the other hand, and as we all know, not the brightest lightbulb when it comes to teaching.

11. Carl Herrera

Bruce Bowen can kick Harden's b**** ass in the face if his b**** ass doesn't play defense.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/edb6bz_C9ms?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

12. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

Don't like Harden as a player, has nothing to do with Lin either I'm starting to dislike his game as well, plays scared all the time and defers to Harden to much. With Harden it;s the fact that he is a selfish player, I've never liked selfish players, never liked playing with them in pick up ball, never liked them in the NBA. Was never a fan of Iverson, Arenas, Westbrook, don't even like Kobe. Jordan had to be selfish at times and I think he's kind of in between, overall I think in his later years with the Bulls he was an unselfish player and he always gave 100% effort on defense and offense. THe new superstars of the NBA are all unselfish for the most part; Durant is unselfish to a fault at times, Lebron is a very unselfish player, Paul, Griffin, Duncan, Parker, the entire Spurs organization. Even guys like John Wall have smartened up these days and knows that hero ball doesn't cut it anymore in todays NBA.

Harden is the worst of the selfish players still current;y in the NBA, I would say that he is current;y the most selfish player in the NBA with Westbrook at #2. Doesn';t play Defense, insists on playing PG and handling the ball, turns the ball over in half court and pouts and stands there, dump it into Dwight and he pouts. IF he's not getting the ball he's uninterested, comes up court and jacks up a early 3 without passing once, yells at teammates like Asik for fumbling a 90mph pass 5 feet away from him, knows he's a nice guy so mean mugs him and sucks his teeth like a punk. Never liked punks so don't like Harden, thinks his **** don't stink, thinks he all badass with this beard and mohawk when he actually looks like Steve Urkel underneath it, dude was probably some self conscious nerd who was never part of the cool kids, now he's all "superstar" and thinks hes some badass. Immature, arrogant, selfish, proud and plain dumb. He's a dinosaur, his style don't cut it anymore in todays NBA, the Iverson era is over, the me me me, superstar BS is last decade and it never really worked then either.

Enjoy your "superstar", enjoy your selfish player and keep defending him because he's on your team, you will never win with a guy like that and quite frankly it goes against the true spirit of basketball, it's a team game, the Spurs, Heat, Bulls all knew this, Lebron and KD knows this too. But again, defend your selfish player and keep promoting selfish style of basketball, me personally I never liked that type of ball, never liked those type of players. Enjoy your "superstar" and first round exits.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Best advice one can give him comes from the obvious famous quote. :) :p

14. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

I remember watching a Rockets game this season and a buddy of mine that used to play basketball but doesn't watch it, entered the room. It was a play where someone just blew by Harden for an easy lay-up. My buddy goes "Why did that guy just stand there and not do anything?"

I shook my head.

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

That's what a head coach is suppose to do, credibly engage his players - especially his young still developing players - on any issues pertaining to their play on the court that need to be addressed so they can learn and maximize their potential...

If the player demonstrates an inability or outright refusal to learn and improve with a competent coach, you get rid of the player, and seek improvement through a trade... a la Steve Francis...

You don't do that, however, until you're sure the player's the problem and not the coaching...

16. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Just some comments...Harden's O will wreak havoc on his knees & ankles as he ages. Playing aggressive Beverly-like D will accelerate the process.

Dwayne Wade is a good model--he turns it on when necessary and can dominate a game on the defensive end. Harden just needs that in his tool box. If he improves his stamina & situational technique we'll be okay.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Harden leads his position in assists and gets called selfish.

LoFs...

18. SunsRocketsfan

Great..now we are going to have a flopping harden on offense and a dirty harden on defense who slides under people's legs

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If Lin gets traded I truly hope that some of his fanbase will leave with im.

Harden is basically selfish to them because he doesn't defer to Lin.

Him "Pouting" when Dwight gets touches is one of the biggest loads of BS I've heard in a while because he's the main guy getting Dwight touches.

Yeah he stands around on offense when he doesn't have the ball...but so do the 4 other guys. Watch the team. If Parsons has the ball then the other 4 guys are standing around waiting for a drive and kick.

When Lin stands around at the three point line they whine and complain that his only role is to stand behind the line and shoot threes and not play PG and blame it on Mchale...When Harden does the same thing it's because he's lazy and selfish.

20. Carl Herrera

Assists doesn't necessary reflect a lack of "selfish" play. Allen Iverson got plenty of assist, too, and he was very much a selfish gunner. Steve Francia, too, got plenty of assists.

The issue wasn't how many assist they got or even how many shots they took, it's how many seconds of the shot clock they use up just dribbling the ball. Francis, for example, would spend most of the 24 seconds dribbling in place and then either throw up a shot or make a pass to a teammate when there isn't much time left for the team to generate anything.

Harden tends to do the same too often as well, though not to the extent of Francis (and Mobley) back in the days. He'd get the ball, pause, dribble between the legs, jab forward, found nothing, then throw a pass to a teammate with 5 seconds left on the clock.

Harden does a lot of good things with the ball, too. But he would be better if he would only make these things happen without eating as much shot clock doing nothing useful with the ball.