1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason options: Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, May 6, 2014.

?

What move do you want to see at PG for the Rockets?

1. Offload Lin & Jones, sign Lowry

124 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

155 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Sign Patty Mills with the MLE

22 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Sign Aaron Brooks for peanuts

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

49 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

This thread is meaningless for a two reasons:

1. No one is going to eat Lin's $15mil balloon payment, even if it only counts $8mil against the cap, even if it's expiring.

2. Unless the team philosophy changes, Harden is the de-facto PG.

Better to have this discussion after next season when Lin will be gone and maybe Mchale too.

2. N/A

N/A Member

I'd be surprised if Lin isn't on the team in September. I'd also be surprised if he's on the team past February.

3. Asian Sensation

1) Rajon Rondo

2) Grieves Vasquez as a consolation.

4. nchan

nchan Member

The point guard is the problem. Let's trade Harden now!

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Steph Curry plans on staying in Golden State. That team is not going anywhere. If we want a big three he is the guy we need. 45% 3pt shooting is how we stretch the floor.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Did the NBA get rid of the "poison pill" contract strategy in getting a restricted FA?

If it's still viable and we can't get an all-star, it would be great if Morey could put a poison pill on Bledsoe.

7. ada32

ada32 Member

Some of us are hoping we offload Lin and TJones to sign Lowery.

I just don't see how this even possible. He is doing very well with the Raptors.

[​IMG]

Granted he is more mature now at 28, I doubt he will return to Houston to face McHale.

[​IMG]

I am not sure he will get an extension or contract like Denver's Ty Lawson (four years, $48 million), Golden State's Stephen Curry (four years, $44 million) or New Orleans' Jrue Holiday (four years, $41 million from Philadelphia). But it will be up there!

8. try

try Member

I assume you mean the type of contracts the Rockets gave Asik and Lin (also called "Gilbert Arenas provision")?
    The NBA didn't get rid of it. But it's not possible to offer a contract like that to Eric Bledsoe as it's a very specific rule that only applies to restricted free agents with one or two years in the league. The rule is primarily intended to help teams keep their successful second round picks for which they don't have full Bird Rights yet and thus can't be used for players who come off regular first round rookie scale contracts.

9. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Im just really curious,would you guys trade for Derrick Rose? I know its highly unlikely,I was just wondering what could be his value in the league right now. Even tho he has two major injuries recently,he can just Focus on defending,playing smart, and shooting the three(he has improved his 3PT FG% every year so far)

Would a Lin+Asik+Jones(or Parsons) trade match his Value or is Rose worth more/less now?

10. imaginedragons

Morey should throw in a couple of draft picks if he had a legitimate chance of getting Rondo. It's quite rare to get the opportunity to have a real Big 3 in Howard, Harden and Rondo so it's a matter of trading the future (draft picks) for the now, and the now of this big 3 seems like it could last for several years because none of them are even nearly past their prime.

Another plus in getting Rondo is that he has the rings and the mojo to do what Mchale could not and never will be able to -- rein in Harden and discipline the entire team. The current Rockets are so loosey goosey and undisciplined that it showed throughout the season, and fatally in the playoffs, Rondo may be the perfect fit.

11. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Haha - I've seen a few Sessions games here and there. No, I'm not an expert on Sessions. Being that Sesions spent most of his career on teams like the Bobcats, Bucks, and Cavs, I would be surprised if you were an expert on his play.

Did I say anything wrong in my original post? Stepping away from the "who has watched Sessions play more" game, let's look at a few other aspects about the guy:

1) 28 yo journeyman in the NBA. Hasn't been able to stick to any team, nor has he been able to shine on teams that were going nowhere.

2) Rarely shoots threes. Over his career, shoots a worse percentage than Lin, which is usually a big knock on Lin's compatibility with Harden.

3) Could be a good floor general and has better handles than Lin, but over his career has shown to be almost as turnover prone in limited minutes.

4) Crafty, but does not have nearly the game breaking speed of Lin. He's good at drawing fouls, but his FG% has been all over the map during his career.

5) Defense is suspect.

And using your own projection, we could get him for maybe 5 million? That's what he is - a middle of the road point guard who has been a stopgap for a series of underachieving teams. He has talent and is definitely not a liability, but you're only saving 3 million for a guy who is like Lin but without the game breaking speed and athleticism. To top it all off, you'll likely have to sign him to a deal that's longer than 1 year, handcuffing yourself in the 2015 FA sweepstakes while Lin can expire next year.

Ramon is a not a clear upgrade. He might have more vet experience and is more "poised" or whatever the eyeball test tells you, but we're not so talented that we're one Derek Fisher away from a chip. We need Lin's explosiveness off the bench or next to Harden. Sessions for 5M is not nearly enough savings to offset that loss.

1 person likes this.
  12. goyao11

goyao11 Member

I think that's a trade that neither side will do.

For the Rockets, that's a HUGE homerun play and is really risky. If Rose comes back at 80%, then the Rockets get a killing and is the clear fav to win a championship. If Rose get reinjured or sits out another year, the Rockets handcuff themselves to a likely horrible contract and is down a good point guard, a great defensive center, and/or other pieces. Way too much risk.

For Chicago, they would have to be extremely pessimistic about Rose's chances to trade one of the top 10 players when healthy for Lin/Asik/Jones or Parsons. Can you imagine the backlash if Rose came back healthy for the Rockets?

And your logic at the end is strange - you would trade a ton of assets to get a injury prone guard and then ask him to reinvent all the aspects of himself that made him great? I would rather keep Lin/Asik/Parsons and ask Beverley to work on offense more.

13. mingthething

mingthething Member

That's a sure way for the new Warrior's coach to get fired halfway through the season.

14. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Well I just wanted to get an idea what Rose trade value could be.So thats why I asked.Rose is a MVP player,he can re adapt his game,he is that good so I dont see a issue with him adjusting being a bad thing IMO. Morey likes to do homerun trades,I could see him go after a couple of all star PG's if he really wanted to upgrade the PG position,but I think he thinks other areas of the team could be better.

All-Star PGs who just seem like a Morey move to me IMO,by Morey move I mean giving up assets. Kyrie Irving,Ty Lawson,Rajon Rondo,and Derrick Rose.

Still to think the best PG option that Fits Houston is Lowry,but I dont see him leaving Toronto.

15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Well the thing is Lin isnt a spark off the bench,why overpay for a PG who isnt a spark,we should do a lateral move for a PG who does what Lin does but is cheaper, and use that extra dough to get a real Sixth Man at a different position like a SG/SF those our weaker then PG. Also there is a big difference between paying 5 Mil to 8 Mil loool when in reality you are paying that player 15 Million.

16. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Yeah I agree that Morey isn't gun-shy when trading for the big fish, nor should he be. I really like Ty Lawson, Rondo, and Lowry as good alternatives - very good to great point guards who are not in the Paul/Westbrook/Parker "untouchable" stratosphere. I just don't see Morey dropping a ton of assets on an injury prone guy like Rose who hasn't performed in over 2 years... I don't think Rose can come back healthy AND become a great 3 & D guy AND have a contract that justifies his new role and injury risk WHILE not giving up too many assets in the meantime. It doesn't seem likely to me.

I personally think Beverley and Lin are good enough at the Point to contend and the money is better spent elsewhere unless you're getting a killing (like Lin and Asik for Rondo). I'm no GM though.

17. goyao11

goyao11 Member

15 mil would only financial, and I guess that would factor into the decision making of Les. Technically, Les has been saving on Lin's backloaded contract for the first two years, so there's that. Lin's 15 million only comes into play when you're trying to trade him to a team with poor financials - it doesn't impact the Rockets salary cap flexibility besides making it more difficult to shed Lin's 8 million.

If they keep using Lin the same way as this year, then sure - I'll get behind trading him for a slight downgrade (to his current performance) and freeing up a few million for an upgrade elsewhere. If we want to shake up our offense and take some burden off of Harden (as shown in the playoffs, Harden isn't yet a Kobe or Lebron who can shoulder the offense for a series), then Lin makes way more sense.

Lin isn't a great 6th man the way we've been playing him. He's had enough good games and great performances to convince me that he can be that guy if used correctly.

18. jamphus

jamphus Member

100% true but not much people realized (JH is THE PG).

19. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Agreed. Harden is the PG for this team and farkin terrible one at that.

1 person likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rondo or Lowry will be the starting PG next year....or a hybrid 1/2 with size/athleticism that can play D and stick the occasional 3. (like Mad Max)
    I like Bev and want him to stay, but we need more. We'll be fine out top once Lin is gone...major hole there.

#220 Plowman, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014