1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale will return as Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 3, 2014.

?

Do you agree with the Rockets decision to bring back Kevin McHale for 2014-15?

1. YES

99 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. NO

651 vote(s)
    86.8%
  1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Jack McMahon 1967–1969 Reg W/L% .321 Playoff W/L% .333
    Alex Hannum 1969–1971 Reg W/L% .420 Playoff W/L% nil
    Tex Winter 1971–1973 Reg W/L% .395 Playoff W/L% nil
    Johnny Egan 1973–1976 Reg W/L% .459 Playoff W/L% .375
    Tom Nissalke 1976–1979 Reg W/L% .504 Playoff W/L% .429
    Del Harris 1979–1983 Reg W/L% .430 Playoff W/L% .484
    Bill Fitch 1983–1988 Reg W/L% .527 Playoff W/L% .538
    Don Chaney 1988–1992 Reg W/L% .550 Playoff W/L% .182
    Rudy Tomjanovich 1992–2003 Reg W/L% .559 Playoff W/L% .567
    Jeff Van Gundy 2003–2007 Reg W/L% .555 Playoff W/L% .368
    Rick Adelman 2007–2011 Reg W/L% .588 Playoff W/L% .474
    Kevin McHale 2011–present Reg W/L% .578 Playoff W/L% .333

McHale has the 2nd highest regular season winning percentage of any Rockets coach.

McHale is tied for eighth in playoff winning percentage.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think we now know who Daryl Morey is, or at least how many, we have CH and 268 Daryl Moreys

3. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

seeing how the Blazers are being owned by a much older and less talented Spurs team... my goodness. McHale needs to go. If Morey and Alexander is not seeing this, they need to see an eye doctor. the Rockets really made the Blazers look sooo good.

4. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Looking at the poll results, we might see a lot more empty red seats during games next season.............

5. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Great. Some pressure on Morey and Les wouldn't hurt i guess.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

and the second worst playoff winning percentage

7. ada32

ada32 Member

Another season of McHale?

Honey, please give me two extra-strength Advil during game time!
    :p:p:p

8. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

and a bottle of JD to wash it down.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

forget that i'll just hit my head really hard with a hammer before a game starts. that way i'll be dazed and confused and blindly cheer on the rockets and mchale

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Doubt it. It's just the internet fans. Does this group reflect the ticket buyers?

Besides, to the extent that people are unhappy right now, they will be lining up to buy ticketds once Morey signs Patrick Patterson.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You sure? Houston is something of a bandwagon town. Fans will be loyal to an extent, but if you don't give them at least something, eventually they'll stop showing up. Also, just because tickets get sold doesn't mean people will actually attend the games. You think all those seats in Toyota Center would be empty during the regular season if the Rockets were making long playoff runs every year?

12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

We can complain about milk hair all we want on CF but it won't make any difference. The only thing that is going to get the attention of the FO is for season ticket holders to make it clear that we want a coach who is actually good at coaching.

I personally believe that milk hair is a Les decision and not a DM one as I like to think that Morey is smart enough to see that milk hair isn't going to take this team anywhere (i.e. beyond the 1st round of the playoffs) a long as he is head coach.

13. rocketsmetalspd

Need to hire a strong Defensive minded coach that can take over IF McHale decides to resign next season. Don't know IF Mario Elie is even look at.

14. count_dough-ku

Elie's got several years experience as an assistant coach including under Pop. If you want a defensive minded player with a history with the Rockets who has championship rings(as many as McHale I might add) and won't take any crap from lazy, unfocused players, I'd say he fits the bill perfectly.

Battier would be a good hire too. Only problem there is he has no experience coaching since he's still playing. So obviously you don't want him having to step in as head coach next season should Milk Hair resign or get fired.

15. slothy420

I would take Battier as a rookie HC over the more "experienced" milk hair any day of the week.

How can you NOT play defense when you've got THIS guy yelling at you?
    [​IMG]

16. count_dough-ku

Well if you're asking me if I want Battier or Milk Hair as Rockets head coach, I'll take the Batman any day of the week. I'm just saying ideally you don't wanna throw someone with no head or assistant coaching experience into the fire like that, especially with a team that has title aspirations.

17. slothy420

Agreed.

At this point, though, I would hope for just about anyone over milk hair. I don't believe we are going to see him grow any more as a head coach. Unfortunately, Les and McF don't agree.

One of my favorite quotes is from a Dirty Harry movie (Magnum Force, perhaps?): "A man has got to know his limitations".

Just because someone knows a ton about bball doesn't mean they will be a good coach. I know I'm jumping on the hater train, but it's just so frustrating to see SA take Portland to school after watching an arguably more talented Rockets team struggle to win 2 of 6 against them.

18. amak316

amak316 Member

McHale is the Tim Tebow of coaching. His win percentage to roster ratio is respectable but my god does he ever fail the eye test.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

Don't mind posters like CrazyDave... their definition of happiness is founded in denial....

20. bratna8

bratna8 Member

We need a new mentality with this team and it starts with the coach.

Jesus Christ.....all you have to is stick to your opponent for .9 seconds and we couldn't even do that.