1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Well, he hasn't done anything to suggest that he isn't ready. At least he's familiar with our players already and the system we run.

2. Nook

Nook Member

The same reason that some OC's and DC's in the NFL never become good HC's. The skill set is not exactly the same. Some coaches are great teachers but cannot inspire, others don't have the personality or ability to keep everyone on the same page like is needed from a HC.

Having said that, there is some truth to what you are saying. Thibs was branded an assistant coach for life and he excelled as a HC, Casey in Tor, Stotts in Por, Malone in Sac and Clifford all were viewed as only assistant quality coaches, but have done well.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

You forget the "you think you're smarter than Morey?" retort.

1 person likes this.
  4. sutton

sutton Member

Mchale, turn your right cheek,

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

Morey is a bright man, but he's not infallible.. If anything, on the subject of intelligence, once you start acting like you know everything (dismissing anything outside of your field of expertise in an area that is as much more diversely influenced/impacted as anything related to humans is, is a good sign of that)... you demonstrated just how little you truly know...

Just like his defensive fans... they refuse to accept anything outside of analytics as sound reasoning for doing anything in a sport... A sport... How old is this sport...? What drives any sport...? I don't remember any dynasties being built on analytics in all that time...

Hell, according to the stats, we should've faired a lot better in the very series we were a rookie's 3pt shot in game 3 (not analytics friendly), and Elie and Hakeem re-focusing and pumping the young team up in game 5 (human intangible things considered by analytics to have minimal influence on the outcome of a game) shy of a sweep...

1 person likes this.
  6. Hmm

Hmm Member

And just to be clear, I have nothing against analytics overall... I simply take exception to the idea, that that's all there is to a winning formula in an endeavor greatly driven by, directed by, and influenced by human behavior and human actions...

I'm in a favor of a balanced approach...

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

What bothers me the most is the "coin-flip" remark. It seems that statistically speaking a close loss is almost equal to a win - and that bad luck is the only reason why we lost.

His decision to keep McHale sort confirms that belief that the games were statistical dead heats and McHale was just unlucky.

I also hate the "we should just get better players so next time we'll be up by more points in the last .9 seconds".

Morey is no Hari Seldon.

God I'm a dork.

1 person likes this.
  8. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

SMH knowing that we'd be stuck with Mcfail for god knows how many years.
    They really think adding one more Star gonna solve the problem. LMAO..Unless your the Heat and have Lebron type of talent. Spo couldn't coach either and has been flamed all along by the fans but at least deude doesn't say "i donot know what to do" and has a few plays in his playbook.

9. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

agreed 100%

the implication is there was nothing else we could do or it's out of our hands when nothing could be further from the truth

10. cbk41

cbk41 Member

You're tripping Hmmm. I agree that McHale helped the rockets distopian cause of blowing a series we should have had, but if you are suggesting that Morey is becoming an incompetent GM and running amok than you are just venting over the loss.

Things are all calm and apologetic and weak right now with excuses, but come on you know pieces are moving, adjustments are being made, and some heads may even be rolling. The dude doesn't wanna sit there and touch himself to Grantland articles on his geek analytics in lieu of winning a series. Calm down man.

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

I never said Morey was incompetent... please point out where I said anything close to incompetent...?

I said he wasn't infallible...

The hell is wrong with this fandom and extremes...?

12. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

What system? Since our offense consists of isos, post-ups and pick and rolls, he can't be a good offensive coach. Since we suck on defense, he can't be a good defensive coach either. If you fire McHale (do it, Maury!), I see no reason to keep any of his assistants.

13. dlite316

dlite316 Member

hahahahahahahaah

14. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Lawrence Frank would be a great assistant coach for McHale...his attention to detail is exactly what this team needs...

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If you are not sure what role Finch is having in the Rockets last 3 years,

well, he's like the 3rd or 4th string QB in the College football game whose holding the clipboard or signs at the sideline.

He is nothing than an insurance policy by Morey.

McHale never trusted him, the assistant coaches that McHale hand picked are JB (he is the guy doing TV stuff with the T-wolves) and Sampson. Finch may have involved in the training but he almost never involved in any real game management nor even have chance to do interviews.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Someone give this man all the reps. Great posts all around.

17. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I can't say for certain, but I am hearing multiple sources say God is worried about much more important things than Kevin Mchale and the Houston Rockets coaching situation.

1 person likes this.
  18. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

So, by that very same logic, if you have a parent or family member pass away you are going to resign from your job that you most likely worked for years to obtain?

I do not buy that....

19. anchel

anchel Member

I want to believe that Morey says that but is also aware of everything we the fans can see. And if not Morey, Rosas or anybody at the management... There are guys like Rosas who have coach level knowledge, and obviously they are aware of our disadvantages in the clutch.

On the other hand, Morey's job is to try to build the best possible roster, a roster that arrives to the final minutes with a good advantage, with the game already solved. That doesn't mean that he does not value the factors that unbalance a possible close end.

I suggest not overreact at every Morey's quote.

20. Convictedstupid

I wonder if cyberx is hearing anything different on Mchale?